Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Vietnamwees posted:

Wouldn't people already know about which cyborg was good and evil from the commercials? Isn't that a huge point of its advertising?

I thought this too. The mall scene in T2 could have been the single greatest turn in action movie history, but IIRC all the trailers and release media blew it in advance, because 'twists' weren't really a big thing in cinema at that time (I could be totally wrong about this), and I guess people were just legitimately excited to see the T800 somehow doing violence for a good cause. I suppose you could argue that it's also pretty telegraphed by how creepy the T1000 acts right up to that point. This is why, though, I'm really excited to screen T2 with a friend of mine who is going in completely blind - she's never seen T1 or any media about T2 barring maybe a scene here or there. We're going to skip T1 (because, unpopular opinion time, I think it's kind of poor) and I'll just give her a small synopsis and lean into Arnie being the bad guy. I wish I could experience T2 like that.

I'm glad to see the discussion about Isolation in here, too. Hands down, my favourite game next to DOOM, and something I replay often - whenever a friend is over and mentions they've never seen it, I'll just start a new campaign. The Dead Space games didn't scare me at all - I can see why people might find that stuff scary but it was just a lot of the same jump scare and that does nothing for me at all. Isolation, on the other hand, had the perfect atmosphere - everything about that game just _feels_ like an Alien film, from the distant klaxons and droning spaceship sounds to the dust that hangs in the air when motion-triggered lights flicker on in some spooky new hallway, to the head bob as you desperately sprint away from danger down a shadowy corridor... seriously, watch the scene in Alien where Ripley tries to come to the aid of Parker and Lambert; there's a shot from her running POV and the camera wobble was nailed by the makers of Isolation. And of course, it had loads of its own jump scares, made so much more impactful by the atmosphere and the fact that it makes you remember just how loving scary those movies were the first time.

Legit, Isolation is the only game that's actually made me scream and throw the controller down on the floor. Right at the last level when the aliens are in the vents with you regardless of your hiding tendency.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Beet Wagon posted:

If you haven't found the chip for the access tuner (door opener) yet, those scavengers are part of a scripted thing, if I'm remembering right.

This is correct. The access tuner is in front of an elevator door next to a body in the lobby (the room with the model rocket engines in it), and the chip, or power source or whatever that makes it work is in some sort of archival room and you have to slide some moving bookshelves out of the way to retrieve it.

Unless they're talking about the scavengers that come directly into the transit station which I think is later in the game.

Remember that you can use the wrench to make noise by striking a bulkhead or something. This can get the scavengers moving and also attract the Alien, which (as mentioned above) will do most all of the cleanup for you if you're smart enough to avoid it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The sound design in Isolation is so, so good, and really drives home the point that a good sound palette is integral to a quality game. I love how it's driven into you very early on that making noise is an incredibly bad idea, and then you have to go and turn on a bunch of generators with noisy buttons and levers and ominous ambient generator startup sounds - one of the most stressful parts of the game for me was having to boot up the computer in the medical complex before the android comes out and stalks around the room. That big pitched-down generator hum made me panic haaaard. Oh yeah, and when you have to do basically the same thing with those huge power couplings in the alien nest, that was probably the scariest part of the game.

There's lots of talk of the comics in the past few pages but (maybe I missed it) I didn't see anyone post about Aliens: Platinum Edition, a fantastic compilation. I still remember buying a copy at a comic book store after a friend's Aliens-themed birthday party in grade school, I wish I still had that hard copy lying around (actually gently caress it, I'm buying a copy on eBay right now). It had such awesome narration and art, at least one really humourous story told entirely sans dialogue, a very cool piece on the life cycle of an alien hive complete with baby queens fighting to the death, and one about the derelict spacecraft 'pilots' before Ridley Scott hosed that backstory up.

Plus it's got one of the most hilarious panels I've ever seen, of a guy being attacked by a facehugger mid-sentence. I can't find a capture of it but I'll snap one when I get my copy.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Millions of Crows posted:

Since we're on Aliens comics now I have endorse Aliens: Havoc
A salvage crew has to survive a luxury liner full of xenos, kind of standard story, but every page is drawn by a different artist. We get to see how Duncan Fegredo, Arthur Adams, Peter Bagge, Sergio Aragones, Moebius, Mike Allred and Tony Millionaire draw xenos and that industrial spacecraft style, amoung others.

Oh gently caress yeah I remember this one too. Definitely had a hard copy... As a huge fan of MAD magazine this was a delight.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 11, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I saw both Alien and Aliens in large-format at the Toronto Cinesphere a few months back, and the audience was animated as gently caress, hollering after "get away from her you bitch!" and a handful of people were reciting Hudson's lines as they happened.

The best moment of audience reaction I've experienced in a theatre though, was for The Matrix: Reloaded on opening night. Remember that cliffhanger ending right before RATM kicks in and the credits roll? Imagine a theatre packed with 300 nerds, many in hilarious cosplay, simultaneously groaning and yelling in something between anger and appreciation. It was palpable.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Agrikk posted:

Scrub.

You’ve clearly never experienced the spectacle that is Grease with Olivia Newton-John Travolta singing “Summer Nights” on the big screen.

Oh-wallow-wallow-wallow-uh.

But I digress.

I’m now thinking about firing up a Gloom server. If I can dig up the mod files and that r1ch open source version of Quake 2 maybe I’ll set it up and link it here.

What has fewer degrees of separation from the Alien universe: The Matrix, or Grease? Serious question.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TheMostFrench posted:

Thinking back to when I was much younger, the menu screen from Super Metroid has a really Alien vibe about it that makes the game seem way scarier than it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l34aHGb2_8

Yep, this actually creeped me the gently caress out as a kid so much that I would leave the room while someone else was putting on the game.

I was thinking of the last reply I made re: Grease and now I'm sort of riffing on bizarre crossovers with the Alien universe and other popular films in my head. Like if the body in Stand By Me had a completely unexplained chestburster wound, or the Beatles were running away from a horde of xenomorph drones instead of groupies in A Hard Day's Night.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm loving all these nostalgia posts about the weird Kenner toy line! :3

Here's my contribution to the nostalgia: My copy of Platinum Edition came in today!!! I ordered it on eBay, it was only like $20 and whoever sold it is clearly a huge comic fan because it's never been opened and it was sealed in like four envelopes. Well, I'm not that much of a comic book nerd so here are some pics.

And my favourite one...

Xenomrph posted:

I posted this offer in the Alien thread in CineD, and I figure I’ll extend it here.

‘Aliens: Labyrinth’ is the best Aliens comic and deserves to be a movie, and more people should read it. There’s a seller on eBay selling bulk lots of the trade paperback for stupid cheap, and I’m up for buying the lots and distributing them to interested goons for basically the price of shipping + whatever tip you feel is appropriate (I will not be offended if the tip is $0). It looks like I can get 9 copies from one lot, and another 10 more if there’s interest.

I just don’t want to buy a bunch of copies if only 2 people are interested. :v:

Post in the thread and/or shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

In!

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 26, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Outstanding! Just sent you the payment and emailed my shipping info. Thanks Xenomrph!!!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Owlbear Camus posted:

I drove thru Little Chute on my way to Door County for a weekend away tonight and thought of Amanda Ripley-McClaren. (RIP)

I think the ambiguous ending in Isolation is honestly the only thing I didn't really like about the game.

OK, now I'm reading on Xenopedia that there's a comic miniseries detailing her being rescued and going out to gently caress with more xenos. I wasn't aware of this.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 13, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I enjoyed Annihilation a lot (tbf, I was high) but this is the correct answer:

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Annihilation (the book) was way more of an existential critique on someone's drive towards self-destruction and rebirth/redemption, and the 'monster' is brilliant and indescribable in a medium where its actions and environment can only be shown briefly. The movie tried to action it up with the shimmer and the bear and the exploding Ventress but it's basically unadaptable.

I wish I had read the book before seeing the film.

Also gently caress you guys, Amanda Ripley's voice actor was great in that role.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got my copy of Labyrinth today, thanks Xenomrph!

The envelope had a postage paid amount on it that was more than I expected, do you want me to send you some more ducats?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

skasion posted:

I bet Aliens slays on big screen. I’ve seen Alien that way (on a planetarium dome no less) but never Aliens

Saw both at the Ontario Cinesphere (massive screen, I think it might be the world's first IMAX theatre) and the audience was surprisingly tame up until the loader fight - barring a few outliers, like me, who hollered at just about everything Hudson said.

"WHY DON'T YOU PUT HER IN CHARGE?!?!"

It's not Aliens-related but I have a story that would probably fit well here. A couple of years ago, I went to see T2: Judgment Day at a local repertoire theatre, the Royal, on judgment day. The Royal is one of Toronto's better repertoire cinemas, and doubles as an audio mixdown studio during the day - this makes this story all the more frustrating.

First off, after a cringeworthy performance by theatre employees acting as resistance and a T800, the movie started up... from a Blu-Ray menu screen. This was unexpected but ultimately OK. What was not OK was the complete lack of sound. This went on for the entire intro, to the point that the dozens of nerds in the audience began making their own SFX - "pew pew" sounds for the lasers, etc. Admittedly it was kind of endearing in a ridiculous way.

So the staff finally stop the movie well into the credit sequence, and go back to the Blu-Ray menu. Great, issue resolved. Except when it started up again, I noticed a lack of Sarah Connor's voice-over.

The center channel was missing. No VO, no dialog. This went on for some time as well; when future John Connor appeared on screen someone was like "WHO'S THAT?"

We all got refunds, and in the moment it was kind of hilarious but it blows my mind that a Dolby-certified theatre hosed up the audio track on a goddamn Blu-Ray.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It was great. Really good animation, and the high-detail stills at the beginning of each issue are especially fantastic. I definitely remember reading this as a kid. The diseased alien hive stuff is really unsettling.

The way the main character (Crespi?) Is drawn, he really reminds me of some actor but I can't put my finger on who.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I want to see a live-action Spy vs. Spy film where Adrian Brody plays both roles.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Resurrection is a goddamn stain on the franchise. Just find like, a supercut of all the scenes Brad Dourif is in and just watch that instead.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Kuato posted:

The human alien hybrid got a raw deal in Resurrection. Dude didn’t ask to be born, and was dealt a bad hand.

same

Actually now that you mention it, some of those scenes between the hybrid and Ripley are pretty hard to watch, and not because it's a horrifying grotesque abomination, because some of the 'emoting' was done well.

... Also because it's a horrifying grotesque abomination. And the scene with all the failed hybrids is pretty on-the-mark as far as franchise body horror goes.

OK, Resurrection was alright. I'll leave the room for some of that atrocious CG though. Even 3's graphics were more tasteful than that poo poo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"Buddy doesn't see it but there's an alien behind him, and it does the head-biting thing to him... BUT we want to have like a comedic relief aspect to this scene because the character is kind of a dunderhead so he's got time to use his hand to examine the gaping wound in the back of his skull before he makes a silly face and expires, falling comedically into the abyss."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Prometheus, took me a couple of viewings to really come around to hate it.

Covenant on the other hand, I hated like 20 minutes in. The theatre experience was great though, loads of laughs at the flute scene, and some guy in front of me loudly said "yo this guys fuckin' stupid" at the one guy David lured down to his facehugger den.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Since we're chatting about The Thing now, here's a really good fanfic written from the creature's perspective. It's absolutely chilling and you should definitely read it if you haven't already.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It seems silly to me, to discuss anachronisms like that in film because of course things are going to be that way... just look at all the old tech like CRT monitors everywhere in the films, meanwhile prequels like Prometheus have 3D holographic maps aboard their ships. It's just a function of what they were working with and could envision at the time. In 30 years I bet the viewscreens in poo poo like Avatar are going to look super dated.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Sci fi movies can be short sighted aout just how enduring the corporate titans of the day will be. Giant Atari billboards in Blade Runner, Pan Am flights to the moon in 2001...
I don't think Wal Mart will be much of a going concern in a couple hundred years.

Wait what?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 14, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The only borderline game-breaking issue I ran into in Isolation was also my fault: I never found the medkit schematic near the beginning of the game, so for most of my first play through I was hamstrung by the sliver of health I had left - it's possible to make it through all of the game without injury but it's really hard once you run into armed survivors. Fortunately the entire map is effectively open, so it only took about an hour and a half of solid backtracking to find the schematic and start building medkits.

It's also very possible to run - even to attempt a speedrun of parts of the game - you just have to really know when to slow down and find a hiding spot.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I never experienced any of these bugs you're talking about on my PS4.

Can we talk about the DLC mini-campaigns where you play as crew of the Nostromo? I don't remember ever completing them; the part where you're in the labyrinthine vents felt entirely impossible - maybe that's the point? Maybe I should have picked someone other than Dallas?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Probably the best marine banter in Aliens that needed no explanation is the 'Arcturian poontang' bit.

Unfortunately someone went ahead and created a description of Arcturian biology and society in one of the comics or novels (actually it might be in the USCM Technical Manual).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Prometheus and Covenant are not canon.

Someone should hit Ridley Scott over the head and take 'his' franchise away from him.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
wait where's a bootlicker?

Guys it's Judgment Day tomorrow. A friend is coming over at midnight to watch T2. She's never seen it before. :3

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wouldn't that be the day after tomorrow?

:smuggo:

What, did the new movie gently caress with the canon again?

There are only two Terminator films.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It'd be great to watch that movie and not know. When it came out I believe the trailers gave it away.

I used to talk about this as 'one of the greatest gently caress-ups in cinema' but if you watch the movie it's pretty clear who's evil and who's not, well before the 'turn' in the mall hallway shootout.

While both Arnie and the T1000's introductions are ambiguous at best, Arnie doesn't outright kill anyone in the bar and the T1000's scene is treated with ominous music and that creepy POV shot as he approaches the police officer he's about to kill.

The scene in the mental hospital where Arnie comes out of the elevator and Linda Hamilton scrambles away screaming still gives me chills. Actually, lots of stuff in that movie gives me chills.

EDIT: Actually the biggest mystery to me is where Arnie gets the flowerbox to put his shotgun in. I feel like that's not the first time that's been done in cinema, anyone know?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 30, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Torquemada posted:

It’s done in the Godfather.

Thanks! I totally knew I've seen it somewhere else.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I always thought it was a reference to Guns n Roses.

:O

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Drunken Baker posted:

Cannibal Corpse's "I cum blood".

This is the best joke on music forums for when someone asks for "romantic ballads to learn"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Drunken Baker posted:

a spooky loving clown who admits to jerking off to her pictures

elaborate on this please, i haven't seen Terminator in a while

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there's no sexual content whatsoever

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lmao

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
gently caress Prometheus, gently caress Resurrection, gently caress Covenant, and gently caress whatever garbage Ridley Scott is going to come out with next.

Alien3 is cool tho

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

purple death ray posted:

Some of yall are bad at movies

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

book learnin'

This post is excellent, thank you.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The kid that showed me Aliens also ended up joining the USMC right out of highschool too (and we're Canadian). But I couldn't say for sure that it was just the depiction of the USCM in the movie; he was into a lot of other war stuff and also not very mentally stable as a teenager.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

immortalyawn posted:

Theres a particular whining sound in this gun effect that I have always kind of thought was made by the aliens attacking/being shot, a kind of screeching or elephant trumpeting violently sound

Reminds me of the horns(?) in this song (should start at the right location):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPNOZVFeSaM&t=57s

The pitched sound of the full-auto fire in Aliens is one of my favourite little details. I heard a rumour a while ago that that's actually what blanks sound like under cyclic fire, because they're not topped up with exactly the same amount of powder every round so the pitch varies; Cameron just made a creative decision to not overdub with 'real live fire' sounds. But I asked about it in TFR and they said it's probably not true - more likely it's just gunfire run through a guitar flanger pedal or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I also don't think it's a coincidence that when it came to Aliens' final shot of the Queen flailing about in space, it seems like it was consciously trying to show that it was definitely, definitely not just a guy in a suit this time, thank you very much. :colbert:

Yeah but Aliens also has a few shots of the Queen that make it very obvious it's just the animatronic top half being wheeled around on a cart.