Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering that a pipe bomb could blow a Terminator clean in half I'm pretty sure a Predator could just shoot it with its big rear end laser gun and be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Last Call posted:

Test screenings for Aliens Romulus is coming out, you knew there was a new Aliens movie right?

Here's the deets according to https://www.avpgalaxy.net

While it’s been public for a while thanks to the Perfect Organism Podcast’s previous teases about the film having connections to the prequel films, Mike’s Monsters has recently confirmed that neither David or the Covenant are featured in the film at all. So what is the connection?

Rather, Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can exclusively confirm that the black goo (or accelerant as it is known in the expanded universe) is making a return in the film. A Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2 model android was able to discover and reverse engineer the genetic makeup of the black goo contained within the DNA of the Aliens that had been captive aboard the spacestation. Known in Alien: Romulus as the Prometheus Strain, the scientists had been experimenting with the black goo as a miracle cure for all diseases.

Alien: Romulus will also feature another huge connection to the original Alien film in the way of the inclusion of the previously mentioned Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2. Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

Following some general details that they posted yesterday, Scified has shared more specific details provided by V Scooper about Alien: Romulus. First is that the film will include a new weapon that looks similar to the iconic Pulse Rifle. This is another detail that Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can corroborate. White in colour, the new weapon shares many design elements with the M41A Pulse Rifle including the carry handle, and an underslung pump action.

The second upload that Scified shared today is something related to what we posted in our own intel about the connections between Alien: Romulus and the prequel films and the original Alien. This has been speculation that we’ve seen and enjoyed being posted on our message boards for some time, and we can now confirm the truth behind it. Big Chap’s remains are recovered at the start of Alien: Romulus.

Are you not entertained?

Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

gently caress offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, what if we went back and redid the Alien with CGI?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In the new modernized cut of Alien, we've gone all out to make it the ultimate Alien experience. Top of the line CGI and the use of AI voices and actors allow us to not only fix mistakes and improve scenes, but even add in new scenes designed to tie the Alien™ universe together. See Ash's new history with the David-type synthetics! Discover more about Parker's family, including his young nephew Alexander Apone. The new and improved "vents scene" will leave you stunned at the intense battle between Dallas and the Alien.

Other great new features:

All the computers have been updated to look more modern and in line with what we expect from computers in the year 2024!
Slight adjustments to blood and nudity to assure a PG-13 rating
A special 20 minute introduction detailing the story of the Engineer who crash landed on the planet and their final story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Livo posted:

I didn't hate Prometheus, the casting and cinematography were genuinely fantastic, I just felt it was a neat premise very awkwardly shoe-horned into being an Aliens related franchise. The whole "David is now constantly researching & changing the black goo, so his creations now more closely resembles the actual Alien creatures" wasn't fully established when Prometheus was released, so the shoe-horning felt more noticeable back then, with the "kind of like face-huggers but not quite, back bursting kind of looking like an Alien but not quite" designs I felt. The early marketing messages constantly changing from "It's definitely an Alien prequel from Ridley Scott, no less!" to "Nope, no connection, Prometheus is actually its own unique story" to "Well, it's kind of a prequel just set in the same universe as Alien actually" didn't really help either IMO.

David in the beginning learning the proto-languages, playing basketball etc was great, the visuals are gorgeous, the idea of genesis aliens hating their human creation so they now want to wipe us out, is a interesting sci-fi story, and one you definitely can do a horror film with. Why did it have to be linked with 1979's Alien? Existing IP recognition and uncreative studio executives probably :shrug:

I just loathe how humancentric it became.

Alien 1-3 are humans encountering these ancient uncaring creatures who have nothing to do with us and view us just as breeding stock.

Prometheus and Resurrection tie them indelibly directly to humanity. They become less alien. Not as bad as 'David explicitly created them' Alien but thr more Alien becomes about humanity the more it loses to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish it was something besides "Here are shots from Alien/Aliens slightly remixed"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

I think it's a chestburster.

Nah, at the very start of the shot you see a Facehugger's 'fingers.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think I would have liked Prometheus better if it just... didn't have anything to do with Alien except maybe being set in the same universe. Just "space is weird and hostile, exploring it will bring you in touch with things better left unknown." No Space Jockeys, no connection to Earth at all, just they find this weird hosed up planet with a weird hosed up guy and weird hosed up goo and at no point does it try to explain lore. You just end up with something hostile and horrible in a way that is completely divorced from the Xenomorph.

I think the worst part is always when they try to connect it to Alien which I think diminishes both works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Prometheus doesn’t have anything to do with Alien, though, aside from being set in the same universe. Like, they take place decades apart, on different worlds, with different characters.

When the two films are viewed together, the only new plot point introduced is that the aliens have been doing experiments on Earth for a while. You also get a small amount of info on Weyland-Yutani Corporation, I suppose, but not a huge amount of detail.

Strictly speaking, Prometheus might not even be classifiable as an Alien prequel because - to my recollection, at least - it’s never actually stated in what year Alien takes place. If you watch only those two films, Prometheus can be treated as a chronological sequel.

Set dates for the events of Alien were not given until Aliens, so Prometheus is only a prequel in the context of the broader franchise.

It has the Space Jockey and Weyland as the center parts of the plot. I mean completely divorced. Not "Here's the secret origin of Weyland-Yutani and the Space Jockey"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But, as I noted, the film doesn't actually provide an origin for either of those things. The alien base they find isn't even their homeworld.

Like, okay: showing the founder of the company Ripley works for is sort-of implicitly an origin, I guess. But how does that actually impact Alien's narrative at all?

It makes it more about Earth, which is what I dislike. It goes from "A bunch of space truckers run into something fundamentally unknown and terrible" to "A bunch of space truckers run into a genetic offshoot of the same aliens who created them" and it just loses something for me as a horror thing. The more you explain something the less scary it is I think. I love Aliens and even that runs into the problem a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redshirt posted:

To keep this in the Aliens thread, while T1 and Alien do line up a lot, I think T2/Aliens do not to a lesser degree. While yes, each is an action movie, in contrast to the original being a horror movie, Aliens is much truer to the spirit and vibe and mood and everything to the original. It's filled with grunts in dark, run down future environments, etc. T2 looks and feels nothing like the original.

I will say that I think there's more connections than that.

T2 and Aliens both put the female lead from the first game in the position of being a Mother much harder. Like, yeah, Sarah Connor's kid was a big deal in the first, but it wasn't the same as in the second where she is actively protecting a child. Likewise both feature the return of a cybernetic person who was a dangerous enemy in the first and a dependable ally in the second. (More literally in T2, obviously.) There's a lot of visual language that is shared, from the self-destructive explosion suicide of one of the supporting cast members to the main antagonist being badly injured and tearing parts of themselves away to go chasing after the protagonists to the ending which is hopeful but vague.

They're not 1-for-1 but there's enough similarities that I think they are more of a comparison than not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

If they do live indefinitely, what does one do with its time when it's successfully cocooned or eaten every single crew member on some ship it's boarded?

Play basketball?

Presumably it goes into some form of hibernation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For many years now we've all considered Carter Burke the 'villain' of the so-called LV426 incident, but have you really looked at his story? The man did nothing wrong.

A woman appeared from several decades in cryosleep and spun a bizarre yarn about 'xenomorphs' that kill to reproduced, and yet named the planed as one already surveyed and colonized? And we're supposed to believe that somehow the survey teams missed an alien spaceship, especially one that was broadcasting a signal? Entirely implausible. And sure, the conspiracy theorists among you will claim the company 'was aware' and 'suppressed the information' but why would they do such a thing? Why bother engaging in a very expensive terraforming project on a planet like that?

Furthermore, look at the so-called 'leaked' story. Ellen Ripley claims that her crew were killed by this 'mysterious creature' and that she was forced to blow it up in order to kill the creature. A creature, she further claims, actually snuck onboard her escape pod anyway and that she 'heroically' fought off. Then, 50 years later, LV-426 goes silent, which could have been something as simple as a broken transmitter, but Burke is willing to believe Ripley and gives her a chance to consult on a potential alien threat and redeem herself.

Now let us look at what follows. The Sulaco, along with its Space Marines, go to LV-426 and once again communication is lost. The reactor on LV-426 goes critical, destroying the colony. Several survivors, including Ellen Ripley, but not the much-blamed Mr Burke, return to the Sulaco. Then, conveniently, a disaster occurs which kills all the survivors except Ripley. She miraculously survives and lands on the prison colony of "Fury" 161. and Wayland-Yutani is called to retrieve her. In the period of time between the call and their arrival, most of the population of the colony is killed. When they arrive they find Ripley desperately trying to escape from them, at which point she takes her own life. In the search of the colony no evidence is found of so-called 'alien' species, and the Bishop-type android whose data banks could supposedly provide evidence was found to be permanently disabled by Ripley herself. Attempts to recover the Sulaco also lead to its destruction from seemingly unknown sources.

Now the 'popular story' is that the cruel Burke attempted to use Ripley as some sort of broodmare for one of these Aliens. This of course makes no sense. There is no way such a creature would get past quarantine, and the act would be reported by the Space Marines. Even so what possible benefit could it bring? Anyone who could corroborate such a wild rumor is conveniently dead, and nobody can quite explain where the 'detailed' account of the events on LV-426 came from considering the base and the Sulaco were both destroyed in mysterious circumstances.

So, dear reader, I ask you which is more likely. That Carter Burke is the monster that people claim, or that the real villain was Ripley herself. What is more likely, that a space monster of some kind killed everyone but Ripley on not one but three different occasions, or that Ripley herself was a madwoman desperate for attention? She herself killed the crew of the Nostromo and destructed the ship, then repeated the same act on LV-426 by sabotaging the reactor. She coerced or forced Lt. Hicks to take her back to the Sulaco, likely using the unknown child in the second escape pod as some kind of leverage. Then, once they were on the ship, she disabled the Bishop-type android, sabotaged the escape pods, and assured she (and the corpses of her unlucky victims) would land on an inhabited planet. She attempted to murder again, only to be caught in the act of triggering another self-destruct by the Wayland-Yutani employees, and chose to take her own life rather than face the consequences or answer hard questions.

So I ask you again. Is Carter Burke truly the monster we've been lead to believe by mere rumor and hearsay? Or are we conveniently blaming him so we don't have to face the more horrible truth, that we were all taken in by one of the most prolific serial killers of the age?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

ChatGPT running wild

Hey, I wrote that lovely thing by hand. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So Burke is Mr. Freeze?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Look how good this AI is that can't even remotely keep the same look from frame to frame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean honestly they should have backed off once they found out that they were going into the one place where using their weapons would fuckin' nuke the place. The marines going in effectively with harsh language aside from Hick's shotgun and some direct defiance of orders Smartgun rounds. Even if you have to have someone going in, sending your entire squad in basically unarmed is dumb as hell, send maybe 2-3 at most.

(Also basically the entire plot doesn't happen if they leave exactly one person on the Sulaco.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redshirt posted:

It's not really fair to say "drones drones drones" when clearly the Colonial Marines did not have drone tech at their disposal.

I mean they kind of do. Bishop is right there. Probably not the best use of Bishop to strap a camera to him and send him in but it's entirely an option.