Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Been thinking about Aliens lately, and had the audiobook pop up on my Youtube feed. Really enjoyable so far, and it's fun to get some new perspectives on the characters and events. The author really builds up the "Ultimate Badasses" angle on the Marines, so I'm looking forward to listening to poo poo Get Real in the atmosphere processor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If the audiobook is the novelization, the good news is it’s narrated by William Hope (aka Gorman), the bad news is the novelization omits all of the swearing that was present in the script and movie. Apparently this was done by the editor after Alan Dean Foster had written and submitted it, and he was pretty pissed about it.

They've only just made it to Acheron, so the REAL colorful dialogue is yet to come, but there was definitely a tasteful "gently caress you, man" during the awesome "anytime, anywhere" exchange.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If the audiobook is the novelization, the good news is it’s narrated by William Hope (aka Gorman), the bad news is the novelization omits all of the swearing that was present in the script and movie. Apparently this was done by the editor after Alan Dean Foster had written and submitted it, and he was pretty pissed about it.

It's crazy how much the profanity adds to that script and how jarring it seems when it's absent. I can't believe any editor would ever be happy with "Get away from her, you!". Hudson's death scene also loses all of it's impact, and his story also goes from being somewhat of a redemption arc to just another random casualty. I wonder how much of his freak-out was scripted and how much was Bill Paxon just being an awesome actor and hamming it up?

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
This is the greatest thing ever.

“Aboard the USCSS Nostromo, Jonesy leads a simple life enjoying The Company cat food and chasing space rodents. Until one day, his cryostasis catnap is rudely interrupted. The humans have a new pet and it’s definitely not housetrained.”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Biehn deserved way more work than I feel like he ended up getting. He's so good in everything.

Typing those sentences reminded me I haven't watched Tombstone in a while. That one has just an absolutely bonkers good cast. Everyone is in the motherfucker.

Michael Biehn is supposed to be a guest at a comic con in my area this summer. I'm not interested in autographs or any of that fan stuff, but I kind of feel like waiting in line just to tell him how great I think some of his roles have been, and how much enjoyment I've gotten out of them over the years. Whatever new media format comes out next, you'd better believe that some of the first movies that I buy / download/ ingest/ whatever will be Aliens, Tombstone, Abyss, and Terminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Read a lot of Dark Horse comics back in the day, did ya?