Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Beet Wagon posted:

In the technical manual they mention a restructuring program called Marine 70 that allowed the colonial marines to send out platoons for little low-effort missions (like this is supposed to be) where they used to have to send companies. Although I think in Aliens: Colonial Marines it's revealed that there were more marines frozen on the Sulaco, and I think technically that's supposed to be canon? I might be making that up though, I scrubbed that game from my brain pretty hard.

Unfortunately I played the game and no, that wasn't the case. All the not-movie marines came from the second ship your player arrives on.

Some EU folks interpreted the disastrous outing in the film as a portrayal of how lovely and ramshackle governments had become in comparison to corporations. Businesses like WY were at the forefront of space exploration and effectively monopolized it, becoming gloriously wealthy/powerful while the political offices of Earth languished in the lovely Bladerunner-style future dystopia. By the time Aliens is happening, Earth governments have been largely-supplanted by mega-conglomerates who possess territories and GDP's magnitudes larger than the authorities who "govern" them.

So now you have an "investigation" conducted by a skeleton crew of poorly-trained, poorly-disciplined troops who weren't good enough to get picked up by higher-paying private securities (and who might actually be convicts pressed into service), packing equipment made by the lowest bidder using leftover scrap from Vietnam, crammed into what is likely the only valuable asset of the trip, a massive troop transport clearly made for missions it's no longer being used for. And despite being government property, it's all being directed by the Company.

Also depending on how much information you believe Burke had about what was actually happening at the colony prior to the trip, the decision to send only a dozen marines with little-to-no integrity may have been deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Oh yeah I guess this thing came out now, on IGN of all places: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu_4PgSXbDY

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Fister Roboto posted:

This sounds right to me, and also appropriate to the hypercapitalist hellscape of the distant future.

This just makes me want a slice-life-film about blue-collar workers trying to make ends meet in a future where the planet you're living on is Company property and your right to live might be trampled on if it puts someone's expenses in the black. No monsters, just adult fears like pay cuts and bankruptcy with the added horror of being on the wrong end of "progress."

I keep repeating myself but honesty the best chance for the franchise to prosper as anything but schlocky horror is to stop trying to recreate Alien/Aliens and have filmmakers use the universe to tell interesting stories.

After all, the worst parts of the new Ridley Scott films were all the moments where it needed to remind the viewer that they're watching an Alien movie.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Phi230 posted:

Still boggles my mind that a Colonial Navy vessel would only have a squad's worth of people aboard, and also the fact they decided to only send a squad.

Depending on how much Burke actually knew about what was actually happening at the colony (remember that that between finding the derelict and getting overrun the colonists had enough time to gather specimens and write medical reports), there's a very good chance that the minimal military presence was a deliberate decision. Makes tying up loose ends a lot simpler.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
The new Free League Alien RPG campaign is out in PDF format, and in a massive improvement over previous modules, you can be the ship's cat:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I'm largely finished with the 2nd map and I can say the game's fun - I like the gigantic maps that entice you to explore on conflicting with your limited resources and the ever-rising hive awareness gauge. Things go to poo poo very quickly if you're caught flat-footed, which is very on-point for Aliens.

Mandalore's video hits all my main critiques, though in addition I still really wish there was a way to order around individual squadmates or set a formation; I hate clicking around the room to force the group to rotate a wounded guy out from the front, and once your team's loadout gets more varied having your shotgunner/flamer trooper out of position because they decided to get caught on a trash can for a second really hurts.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Splicer posted:

Before I literally spam the buy button what's the bug out option like? Can you partial a mission or fail but gain side bonuses? What ultimately caused my to sour on nu xcom was you couldn't decide to scrub a mission you knew you couldn't complete and still come out on top because you're bringing home a looted plasma rifle with clips.

Missions appear to be a long chain of objectives on a gigantic map with secondary stuff strewn about. side objectives can be failed (mainly via survivors getting wrecked) and you'll lose equipment you've gathered if the squad wipes, but otherwise you're free to leave the map whenever you please (assuming you can make it to wherever you parked your dune buggy).

Expect to tackle missions in chunks, evaccing when your stress levels, wounds, and lack of resources get too sketchy to continue on.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Got far enough into Dark Descent to encounter these assholes again

Praetorians rule - they're scary, their role as juvenile-queens-turned-guardians fits perfectly into a hive hierarchy, and despite their design changing with each new game the concept of "pissed-off mini-queen" always ends up looking rad.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Parkingtigers posted:

It's payday, so I'm downloading the Aliens game. Just noticed there's a $4 DLC where you can buy a cat to sit in the spaceship, and goddamnit I'm actually considering getting that. These bastards know how to get me.

It literally just adds an orange cat in the periphery of the various rooms you visit on the Not-Sulaco

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Though Twitter continues to burn, some good posts yet remain:

https://twitter.com/Carapace777/status/1677848682027446272

(that guy's art rules btw)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I did not know you could recharge fire extinguishers.

I have a few but they're very old, maybe 8 years, and I'm worried they might not work.

At that point you'll need hydrostatic testing done on them to make sure they can hold a charge.

You may want to get them replaced at 10 years, but as long as they're stored in a decent environment I've seen dry chem ones last for 15+ years no problem.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Speaking of Fireteam, it seems like Cold Iron Studios is working on another Alien title:

https://twitter.com/AliensFireteamE/status/1716500146530230306

My money's on Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure 2.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I would survive just like Hudson did in Aliens: Colonial Marines -

oh wait they scrapped that plot lin-URK*

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Still pretty upset we never got a genuine movie Apone figure (or Drake for that matter)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
You know it's gonna be a Wild West setting

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you recognize this man?

Is that mother-fukken Terry English

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I think the guys from PIG were onto something; just keep attaching high-yield explosive charges to livestock (or pirates) until the problem solves itself.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Predator hunting code demands that the prey expresses some variety of martial prowess, so there needs to be a 30-minute prologue where Mr. Bean accidentally runs-down an entire company of South American guerillas in his 1970's Leyland mini.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Oh hey we might see something official about this goddamn movie for once

https://twitter.com/fedalvar/status/1770216405352460646

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Doctor Zero posted:

Is Romulus going to end with a horrible CGI Sigourney Weaver getting the plans to the Death Star getting a copy of the transmission?

Nah its gonna be Jonesy and they're gonna turn to the camera with shifty-eyes before boarding the Nostromo with an 8-track in their mouth

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Kinda curious about that pulse rifle:

Considering the film takes place before Alien, I'd figure the design is meant to be an earlier make of the weapon, though the white paintjob makes me think it could belong to Weyland Commandos, who are typically depicted as carrying around white-colored gear:

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the station gets a visit by some WY mercs who get murked partway through the film

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Special sneak preview of the AVP animated movie:

https://twitter.com/SizzyBubbles/status/1777836779095400578

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
kitty

https://twitter.com/fedalvar/status/1783886270588219436

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
If the boardgame is to be believed, if Apone decided to instead book it out of the Atmospheric Processor he would have single-handedly killed every alien between him and the landing zone before hurling the APC back onto the Sulaco.