Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

MrMojok posted:

Kirsh, a synth who acts as a mentor and trainer for Wendy, a character with the body of an adult, but the brain and consciousness of a child.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Azubah posted:

We're gonna see a predator murder the poo poo out of some nazis and that is awesome.

So they’re just remaking Prey then

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

gently caress offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Agreed 100%. Hollywood needs to knock this lazy poo poo off.

Everything else about the movie sounds plausibly intriguing, though. On paper at least.

Zadok Allen fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 14, 2024

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Small Strange Bird posted:

And yes, the idea of a digital Ian Holm leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. Why do that? Why not just cast whoever the modern equivalent of Ian Holm is (Martin Freeman?) and say he's a different model of the same kind of synthetic?

CGI necromancy of dead actors seems to be particularly obnoxious with recent Disney products.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, what if we went back and redid the Alien with CGI?

Stop giving Disney ideas.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

In the new modernized cut of Alien, we've gone all out to make it the ultimate Alien experience. Top of the line CGI and the use of AI voices and actors allow us to not only fix mistakes and improve scenes, but even add in new scenes designed to tie the Alien™ universe together. See Ash's new history with the David-type synthetics! Discover more about Parker's family, including his young nephew Alexander Apone. The new and improved "vents scene" will leave you stunned at the intense battle between Dallas and the Alien.

Other great new features:

All the computers have been updated to look more modern and in line with what we expect from computers in the year 2024!
Slight adjustments to blood and nudity to assure a PG-13 rating
A special 20 minute introduction detailing the story of the Engineer who crash landed on the planet and their final story.

I love this thread

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I may be the only person in the world who didn't hate Resurrection and/or Prometheus.

I mean, they're not great, but I think Resurrection progressed the world along (xenonorphs behaviors in captivity was some new territory) and Prometheus had some good... casting.

Can’t speak for others but I genuinely enjoyed Alien 3 DC, Resurrection, and especially Prometheus and Covenant.

It’s a dope hard-R series and each installment has the stamp and style of its director. I can’t think of another IP owned by a giant studio which allows that. Hopefully Disney doesn’t gently caress with that 40+ year formula.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

I admire its purity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish it was something besides "Here are shots from Alien/Aliens slightly remixed"

I’d rather have the Covenant sequel with David vs. Engineers, but I’m so down for anything that’s competently made at this point. Romulus looks like it’s made by a genuine admirer of this series rather than a committee hack so gently caress it.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Interesting interview.

https://x.com/THR/status/1770482790850875702?s=20

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Doctor Zero posted:

It can ignore it (in the sense of just not mentioning it) and still be a prequel.

This is my issue with the prequels. Aliens were created by a human-built android. Really? Then how does an ancient derelict containing hundreds or thousands of eggs end up on Acheron? Remember that the Space Jockey is loving fossilized. That doesn't happen in a couple hundred years. I have no issue with David finding the tech and loving with it, but to imply that he created xenomorphs is ridiculous.

Also it completely fucks up the life cycle of a Xenomorph. Oh it gestates and becomes a giant squid for... reasons? The idiot scientist that gets infected turns into a yeti for ... reasons? (in the cut scenes they had him transform into Xenomorph hybrid which made way more sense.) It's just full of dumb Hollywood "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." moments that again, don't make any freaking sense in the context of the other movies.

Don't even get me started on the whole implying that Jesus was a 12 foot bald porcelain skinned engineer.

Again, I actually like the movie, but more as a "What if" than anything canon. I really hope the whole concept fades away and goes to live with Midichlorians.

Fake edit: Oh, and the Engineers are humanoid instead of this unfathomable alien that is one of the most unique and baffling aliens on film. Bleh. "I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT SO gently caress IT IT'S A SUIT." :rolleyes:

Fake edit edit: Oh gently caress I completely blocked the goddamn disembodied head that is still alive and explodes into goo for .... who the gently caress even knows anymore. :fuckoff:

Good lord this is a sweaty post :kiddo:

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Peyote Panda posted:

One of the things I came to appreciate more in a recent rewatch of Prometheus is how hilariously optimistic the expectations of Shaw, Holloway, and Weyland are regarding the Engineers in the context of their treatment of David. They eagerly assume they will be enlightened and blessed by their presumed creators in various ways, even though as the creators themselves of David (albeit metaphorically except for Weyland) they are at best dismissive of their creation and often treat him with outright contempt.

I also enjoyed how the aborted fetus metaphorically kills God. The fact its evolution resembles an unholy Trinity with Holloway —> Shaw —> Trilobite is icing on the cake.

Prometheus and Covenant are so good. You’ll likely catch another layer to them on every watch.

In Covenant, the religious characters receive the most brutal deaths as punishment for the hubris of their “blind faith”; Oram with the chestburster, and Rosenthal gets decapitated by a loving alien biting her head off. Scott even provides us 2 shots of her floating head in the Baptist pool for good measure.

Zadok Allen fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 22, 2024

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Doctor Zero posted:

You guys are making me want to watch Prometheus and Covenant again now that it’s been years and I can re-watch them with fresh eyes.

You should. They’re great.

covidstomper58 posted:

I feel bad for the engineers in Covenant.

They conquered this part of the galaxy and seeded life on various planets and eventually they were down to that last planet where they gave up their space aspirations and just grew wheat and hung out in that one city.

Then some crazy robot dumps their equivalent of all of the ancient nuclear waste on them from a previous forgotten era and wrecks the planet.

I think the Engineers were in societal/civilizational decline during Prometheus and Covenant. I think it’s made clear by losing control of the black goo/bioweapon. This film shares a lot of similarities to Lovecraft’s At The Mountains Of Madness: the Engineers are clearly analogous to the Elder Things, as are the black goo/bioweapon to the shoggoths. Both were eventually destroyed by their own creations.

I did want to see David and his Aliens vs. the last military remnants of the Engineers like Scott said would happen, but I’m not bitter about it. :D

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

There's this elitist pro-snob undercurrent to Prometheus and Alien Covenant that's pretty gross, and only slightly mitigated by some of the dumbest characters being pretty snotty themselves.

It's like "idiot intellectual/professional who thinks they're so smart" is like the Prometheus version of Friday the 13th's "selfish horny camp counselors." I guess the idea is that we get to see their comeuppance by someone (David) who they all look down but is actually way the hell smarter, but I find him pretty much just as insufferable, especially in Covenant where the dumb characters don't appear to be presented as "elite" as those in Prometheus. Maybe it'd help if he got his rear end handed to him more often to balance it out.

A primary theme of Prometheus and Covenant is hubris, so characters acting like dumb arrogant assholes is in line with that. As for believability—my dude, do you remember the endless amount of ostensibly smart scientists and “experts” saying and doing consistently stupid poo poo for years during COVID? Prometheus and Covenant even had a deadly pathogen! In a way, It reevaluated the way I look at people processing panic and trauma during horror films.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

I’ll have much more respect for Disney’s Romulus: An Alien Story if they show restraint by NOT including an Alien Queen.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Incredible