Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
I didn't hate Prometheus, the casting and cinematography were genuinely fantastic, I just felt it was a neat premise very awkwardly shoe-horned into being an Aliens related franchise. The whole "David is now constantly researching & changing the black goo, so his creations now more closely resembles the actual Alien creatures" wasn't fully established when Prometheus was released, so the shoe-horning felt more noticeable back then, with the "kind of like face-huggers but not quite, back bursting kind of looking like an Alien but not quite" designs I felt. The early marketing messages constantly changing from "It's definitely an Alien prequel from Ridley Scott, no less!" to "Nope, no connection, Prometheus is actually its own unique story" to "Well, it's kind of a prequel just set in the same universe as Alien actually" didn't really help either IMO.

David in the beginning learning the proto-languages, playing basketball etc was great, the visuals are gorgeous, the idea of genesis aliens hating their human creation so they now want to wipe us out, is a interesting sci-fi story, and one you definitely can do a horror film with. Why did it have to be linked with 1979's Alien? Existing IP recognition and uncreative studio executives probably :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Vampire Panties posted:

I dont understand why they made this movie. I'm not sure what story its trying to tell. Major plot lines are two sentences "Oh they're the Engineers, because they Engineered us :smugbert:" They got all that from ancient societies cave paintings? That one engineer drank their own bioweapon to seed life, although there was already green moss on the rocks when it happened?

I loved how mad & disappointed both archaeologists were upon realising that the Engineers society was long dead. Gee, these incredibly old cave paintings obviously indicate that there's totally a living society of Engineers right now, that will gladly speak to us the very second we reach their world, even though as archaeologists, we should be familiar with the concept of long extinct societies/human tribes!

Making all the humans greedy/moronically stupid makes sense for a "gently caress our creation, let's wipe out humanity" narrative, but if you're also trying to make us emphasize with your characters, especially ones in a horror franchise with flawed but likeable characters in its prior entries, maybe make some main characters a little more likeable earlier on? I only really cared for one human, Shaw, and that was only towards the end of the film. I did kind of like Idris Elba's character, but he didn't have much to do for the most part.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Spoilers for a fun sequence in Alien Isolation & a nice throwback of sorts:

When you board the Anesidora whose interior is based heavily on the Nostromo, there's limited lighting at first, then you see what looks like an Alien right in front of you...only for it to be just a part of the ships' equipment