Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Are you an artificial person remote piloting a drop ship?

Or are you a paranormal investigator looking for subterranean psycho-magnetheric ectoplasm?

If so, come on down to Radioshack for a Realistic Stereo Eletret Microphone 33-1065!

I just watched the movie again last night, noticed this, and wanted to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm pretty sure the device in Ray's hands has also been re-used and featured in a number of sci-fi movies.
The PKE Meter. Yup, it also appears in John Carpenter's They Live. Maybe others too. It was originally made from a shoe polisher.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Prop design for sci-fi must be such a goddamn fun job. Actually a friend of mine works on the digital side of things and the other night he said he's on some TV show now where he's designing all sorts of "Halo-rear end, Mass Effect-rear end guns" that'll be turned into props from his renders. Something like that, anyway. And I'm turbo jealous.

The OG Star Wars movies would have been the best. "Most expensive low budget movie," etc,.

"This space ship looks a little boring. I'll just grab pieces from that old rear end nazi tank model kit. Maybe some knobs from that RC car controller kit too."
"This "Han in Carbonite" prop is blank on the side. gently caress it, I'll strip the instrument panel from an old Volvo."

Now it's all cg, 3d printing, and blue screen. It'd be way more fun to go to the hardware store, model shop, and junkyard.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Owlbear Camus posted:

Real talk:

Prop guys, model makers, set design, wardrobe, etc are all union shops.

If you just put the talent in cgi reference leotards covered in pingpong balls you can make rot-bodied fuckers with no collective bargaining power crunch for months to do it in a computer.

See also Union lighting crews and Disney's "the Volume."
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/1225599-the-volume-star-wars-revolutionary

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It has shockingly high production value for what it is.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Aliens is already a famously grainy, gritty looking movie, but it's great to see regardless. And of course it has the original optical stereo track!

Doesn't Cameron straight up say in the commentary he wishes he'd used different cameras and film? Been ages since I watched that. Would have been around 08 or so.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That was really cool for a fan film with a presumably low budget.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

gently caress offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Agreed. Just use a living actor and save your budget for something else.

deoju fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 14, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Trailer looked real good visually.

Time will tell. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I read the first two issues of the Burke comic and I'm not wild about 2 aspects. The company 100% would have covered up the real events of lv 426 to the general public. And they are trying to give Burke any level compassion for others. He was an irredeemable remorseless piece of poo poo from the start. He sent the knowingly colonist there to get impregnated in the first place. I could buy the "saving my wife at any cost" aspect though.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 28, 2024