Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

I love that Pvt. Drake looks like he got his suit from a Romulan tailor circa TNG era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
AFAIK, AvP isn't fully canon.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Aliens Speedrun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzU9n_o7dU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
https://twitter.com/Lucky_BunTTV/status/1534719631872729088

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Biplane posted:

Imo Prometheus sucks primarily because it's supposed to be a prequel to Alien yet looks like it's set hundreds of years further into the future.

Important to remember that the Nostromo is a Spartan, worn down, aged space truck and the Prometheus is like the world's first trillionaire's personal space yacht. Its like comparing a decades old cargo ship to Jeff Bezos brand new half-billion mega yacht.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

Indeed. So why crew with a ship full of morons?

I was just commenting on the difference in ship aesthetics re: one ship looking more hi-tech despite being earlier in the timeline.

As for crew competence, if I were to try to pull from possible in-universe explanations I've heard previously, perhaps the crew were all on the nutball fringe of their respective fields to agree to go on such a mission. Another I heard, possibly here in the past, was that Vickers may have been intentionally trying to sabotage her father's mission by hiring incompetents so she could take the reins herself. Or that maybe space exploration protocol weren't really established at this point as compared to Nostromo-era because this ship was one of the first to have a go at extra solar exploration (but, really they still should have know better.) None of these reasons are really spelled out in the movie; ultimately, the reason is that they're incompetent because they were written to be.

It did used to bother me more when the movie first came out, but after the last 10 years of seeing how people react to adversity, the unknown, and crisis scenarios, I'm much more comfortable accepting as reality that most people are genuinely incompetent to some degree or another.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

What kind of world is that the best people?!?!

A lovely world to live in. AKA a world where Weyland-Yutani is in charge of everything.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Owlbear Camus posted:

it'll make a lot more sense if you start thinking of weyland not as a visionary space and robot pioneer but as basically musk

Bingo.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Biplane posted:

Also Damon Lindelof should be exiled for his crimes. The dude can't write.

I was pretty mad at his handling of Star Trek: Into Darkness and Prometheus but I was surprised his Watchmen tv show was genuinely good.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
What happens if a facehugger impregnates another adult alien? Is that where queens come from?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

MrMojok posted:

Yeah you’re right. The cultists were hearing her “sing” to them, and they break into the old NORAD bunker where the idiot company is holding her, under the mountains in Colorado I believe, and run in there and allow themselves to be facehugged.

Then others grab their unconscious bodies and spirit them away to all corners of the earth, to begin the infestation.

Is this the Stargate/Aliens crossover?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would love to see some extra parasite poo poo on the xeno side. As in something that natively preys and parasitizes on the xenos too.

That goes back to my question about what happens if a facehugger impregnates another xenomorph.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

So have we come to a consensus on Xeno intelligence? Smarter than dogs? But dumber than monkeys?

Depends how you define their intelligence. The drones certainly seem dumber than the queen, but the queen seems able to control the drones on her behalf.

I would think the queen is probably at least dog if not maybe primate intelligence.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Pratan posted:

The Rock was legit good in Jumanji. Jack Black deserved an oscar in that movie.

I was kinda annoyed at that movie for slapping the name Jumanji on a movie that was all about video game tropes.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 26, 2023

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I actually hated how "good" Prometheus looked. You go from 1970s old rear end computers in the future which they made look great and very blue collar and believable to loving Tony Stark computer poo poo in the past. It doesn't make any sense to me and ruins the feel. Everything was way too clean and perfect. Futuristic full body suits and all that. Exact same thing with the Star Wars prequels. Everything is super clean and pristine and doesn't look real at all.

I understand our movie making technology has improved but if you are telling a story you should probably keep the entire world you created somewhat linear. Whoever writes this poo poo is garbage. There's probably a loving snapchat filter that makes everything look more grungy and dirty.

Nope! Gotta keep up with Marvel!

Ya, but you're comparing the world's richest man's brand new personal mega yacht to a decades old space big-rig truck.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Android Apocalypse posted:

The pulse rifle & smartgun sound effects are iconic in their own right, and when watching Alien 3 where they just sound like regular guns is such a :flaccid:.

There's pulse rifles and smart guns in Alien 3?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I believe there's a pulse rifle at the end when Weyland-Yutani comes to get Ripley. It's used to kill 85.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vbfkRB6gQ

Oh ya, that could be. Its a pretty short shot of the gun firing, but it is very generic sounding.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

On the subject of the very distinct sounds of pulse rifles and smartguns, despite its many, many faults, Aliens Colonial Marines absolutely nailed the sound design.

I think most of the AVP games and Aliens: Fire Team really captured the soundscapes well, too.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

W is for WEIRZBOWSKI!!!!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

The Zombie Guy posted:

HERE is a great blind Let's Play of Alien: Isolation, for those who would like the vicarious experience. A:I is absolutely the most intense horror game I've ever played.

Thanks for posting this. I watched the whole thing and now I can fully appreciate this great game I was too chickenshit to actually play myself.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Tom Hardly

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

So were the engineers supposed to be space jockeys or not in Prometheus?

I always assumed they were as they have the jockey ships and space suits. And with the opening scene of Prometheus with them seeding life on earth I'd assume they're like billions of years old.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Doctor Zero posted:

… and that guy who was giving tours of the Titanic, it’s pretty drat prescient.

James Cameron?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Mister Speaker posted:

If they do live indefinitely, what does one do with its time when it's successfully cocooned or eaten every single crew member on some ship it's boarded?

Play basketball?

Watches Lawrence of Arabia and dies its roots blonde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.