Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Young Freud posted:

Burn Gorman, David Dastmalchian, Ben Mendelsohn, there's plenty of weird-looking guys who look like they could be a synthetic person.

If you want weird and synthetic looking you should look at some actresses nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Let's do a reality show where someone has been infected but nobody knows who.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

There also a bunch of subtle nods to the Dark Horse comics such as a Terminator skull in the background

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I may be the only person in the world who didn't hate Resurrection and/or Prometheus.

I mean, they're not great, but I think Resurrection progressed the world along (xenonorphs behaviors in captivity was some new territory) and Prometheus had some good... casting.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'm telling ya Burke, what we gotta do, what we gotta do is get back to the ship, take off -vvvvvtt- and just nuke the whole site from orbit the whole thing, just... whistles, mimicking a falling bomb, ka-BOOM, ya know? That's the only way to be sure, baby.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'm just glad to see the Star Trek crossover is finally happening.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

They think Dale may be infected

"If you’re gonna shoot me I want Bobby Hill to take the shot, cause he’ll put me down clean."

---

Dale flies around in a shuttle with a giant dead facehugger decoration on the roof

---

Peggy steps up in the loader

Ho Yeah!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I enjoyed his Watchmen and I hear great things about The Leftovers.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

See, if he just wrote good stuff all the time there'd be no mystery about if it was gonna be good or not. Gotta keep the audience on their toes!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

(I'm ignoring AVP & AVP2 here)

Aw, don't tease me with a fully integrated head canon and just skip over stuff.

Personally I like the idea from the Dark Horse comics that Terminator is canon to the Alien franchise, it's just so far in the future that it's not really common knowledge.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

So were the engineers supposed to be space jockeys or not in Prometheus?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Wait like the "something fucky happened with some property damage and a bunch of dead/kneecapped cops in 1984 and then again in 1991, judgement day averted" timeline, or the "full on giant robot tanks rolling down piles of skulls littering the 405 as humanity is on the brink of extinction" timeline?

The latter.

But yeah, the comic isn't anything I'd add to a reading list. The idea alone is enough for me. And it does a nice mirror between the first two films of both franchises having the android character flip from evil to good.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I played Alien RPG a few years ago and enjoyed it. It was fun getting into the roles of the different crewmembers (original for the game) and using that to guide your choices as your stress level went up.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If Romulus flops they should just make the next one a comedy like Airplane and call it Aliens 8, People 0 like they were gonna do with the Jaws franchise.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

Just rewatched it - The movie is such a mess of non-sequitur poo poo. Tattoo-head dude smoking weed is a stoner-horror-death trope. Also David, with the immaculate hair, riffing witty comments in Fassbender's not-quite-American accent while everyone else is panting and sweating and screaming gives it a surreal quality. Also making Idris Elba do a fake-Texan accent is a waste.

It's like they tried to mash the four previous movies into one by picking the most iconic bits

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Bonus materials give explanation as to why characters do idiotic things: they are idiots.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah.

Aliens is still about survival. T2 is about waging a secret war for humanity. It's closer to Blade or James Bond then to The Terminator.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Gosh, I better come in closer for a better look!

Good post/av combo

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Cessna posted:

I run a game of the Alien rpg.

The PCs work for the Company and their current main adversaries are radical ecoterrorists out to kill colonists and destroy terraforming equipment. The name of the ecoterrorist group is "the LNs." After a couple of sessions they found out the group is named after their hero Ellen Ripley, who managed to destroy a gigantic space refinery and a whole planet's worth of terraforming equipment single handed.

Is there much difficulty running it as a campaign? It seems geared towards one-shots, or something like the movies where only a couple characters survive between "episodes"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Cessna posted:

I think it is also worth remembering that the Xenomorphs are a relatively limited threat.

This line of thinking never seems to work out well.

Edit: like the catalyst for xenonorphs doing things most of the time is someone saying they can't

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 9, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Cessna posted:

In movies, books, and comics, because writers want exciting things to happen.

But an rpg is not a movie, and players have a tendency to do smart things that movie characters do not do.

Imagine Aliens as an rpg. "Let's take off and nuke the site from orbit." "Okay." "So what are we playing next?"

It's not so much smart vs dumb, it's the hubris you mentioned. It's the guaranteed killer in the franchise to assume the solution works.

If you assume nuking a xenonorph colony is gonna wipe them out, then it'll turn out they have defenses against that and they'll turn up again in no time.

"The alien exploded with the Nostromo, I'm safe now."

"This time we're going in with Marines, we'll be safe now"

"We checked the bodies and there's no sign of implantation. We should be safe."

"We've captured the xenonorphs and they're contained in cells. Surely we're safe now."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

quote:

physical media is personalised, highly collectable and a limited run.

"Personalized" and "collectable" seem in conflict to me

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

In what way? Genuinely asking.

Like, a copy of Alien autographed by Sigourney Weaver has gotta be more sought after than ones made out to a specific person, right?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

sleep apnea mask upgrade here i come

I wake up choking for the third time that night. my wife insists I stop wrapping the air hose around my neck. I tell her I did not spend $400 on this to be inauthentic.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

therunningman posted:

Allen Resurrection: "Ripley was the coolest. Felt bad for the monster at the end."

Me too kid, me too.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's neat but it being AI makes it less neat.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Cessna posted:

Free League is selling the Alien rpg stuff at half off today for 4/26.

Link

I want to but the shipping is almost the price of the book. :negative:

Are any of the books besides the core rules a must-have?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Colonial Marines Operations Manual, but I’m biased because I’m in it.

Shipping is per-item, apparently. :(

I asked if there was an option to just buy the PDFs.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Space Jam posted:

i don’t think cameron was even thinking about a sequel at that point. the egg sound in the credits was probably the studio wanting to put a “james bond will return” in there.

Ripley will return in

Androids are Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Peyote Panda posted:

Awesome! Now we need an Alien film from the xenomorphs' perspective where Ripley is petting Jonesy while telling a Praetorian xeno about her evil plan to destroy their hive ala Blofeld.

"Are you feeling claustrophobic, Mr. Morph? Then perhaps you'd like some more... Space."