Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did they stop? Except for The Terrifics, 'New Age of Heroes' fizzled right out.
'Young Animal' clung on, just barely.
I don't expect 'Hill House' to produce any ongoings, or announce replacement miniseries when the current ones end.

Black Label seems like it may stick for a bit.

Not sure how well they sell, but I have to say I love the premium format and the overall quality of what I’ve picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did they stop? Except for The Terrifics, 'New Age of Heroes' fizzled right out.
'Young Animal' clung on, just barely.
I don't expect 'Hill House' to produce any ongoings, or announce replacement miniseries when the current ones end.
That's true, I guess I was looking at it as sort of separate eras in terms of the logic behind the imprints. They came a lot hotter and heavier in decades past, and can basically be divided into "for some reason we refuse to just expand the scope of what Vertigo is" and "let's do more superheroes (ideally with more Batman)

VERTIGO IS NOT ENOUGH
1987: Piranha Press - Essentially proto-Vertigo, literally DC trying to get into the "indie" market post-Maus
1993: Vertigo - It's like Vertigo, only... no, it's Vertigo. A subimprint for MATURE DARK FANTASY, nothing else, for other genres we'll stick with Pirhana.
1994: Paradox Press - Oh poo poo no one likes Pirhana, let's rebrand,
1995: Vertigo Voices - Okay maybe we can do some other genres at Vertigo, but in a subimprint
1996: Helix - What if Vertigo, but Science Fiction?
1996: Weirdoverse - What if Vertigo, but in the DCU?
1996: Vertigo Verite - Okay dammit, let's really try doing some non-dark-fantasy books, Vertigo is only Dark Fantasy unless it's a subimprint
2002: Vertigo Pop! - I SWEAR TO GOD WE CAN'T LET BOOKS THAT AREN'T DARK FANTASY LIVE AT VERTIGO
2004: DC Focus - Let's do Vertigo but with new superheroes?
2007: Minx - What if Vertigo but for Girls?
2007: Zuda - What if Vertigo but on the web?
2008: Vertigo Crime - What if Vertigo but crime what do you mean 100 Bullets and Scalped already exist?
2016: Young Animal - What if [original] Vertigo but Gerard Way curates it?
2018: Black Label - What if [original] Vertigo but it's nothing but Batman?
2019: Hill House - What if [original] Vertigo but Joe Hill?
2020(?): Killing Zone - What if [original] Vertigo but Geoff Johns?

ONE SUPERHERO UNIVERSE IS NOT ENOUGH
1991: Impact Comics - Hey, we got the rights to the Archie superheroes!
1998: Tangent - Let's explore new ways to hold onto trademarks, just in case things go sideways with all these Golden Age creator lawsuits! We've got all new Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman concepts!
2001: Just Imagine Stan Lee - No seriously, not a problem, we've got so many different concepts for Superman and Batman divorced from the work of Siegel/Shuster/Robinson/Finger/etc.
2006: All-Star - We're definitely not doing Ultimate Superman and Batman :nervouslaugh:
2009: Earth One - We're definitely definitely not doing Ultimate Superman and Batman :flopsweat:
2009: First Wave - Hey, we got the rights to Doc Savage and the Spirit! And maybe they can team up with Batman?
2011: Red Circle - Hey, we got the rights to the Archie superheroes again but we also let JMS showrun it so basically none of these will ever come out
2017: New Age of Heroes - I have no idea what the thought process behind this was

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Killing Zone sounds horrible.

I didn’t realize piranha press was DC. I think I’ve got some decent stuff from that imprint, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it had.

Speaking of comics that haven’t been reprinted (I’m sure they have, but I don’t see it much)... I’ve been digging through the First comics line. Stuff like Grimjack is real good. The Mundo Bar backups have guys like Bissette doing short one shots, mostly comedy, some horror. Definitely looking to put together a full run of that.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 30, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I wish there was a market for collected editions of that kind of stuff. I'd love to have it on my bookshelf.

DC barely collects its critically-acclaimed material like JLI/A/E, Starman, and Sandman Mystery Theatre. That's why I bound my complete runs of those series into custom hardcovers, because I never had faith in them to collect everything in nice enough, complete enough editions. One of these days I'll get my complete Suicide Squad run bound too.

Jordan7hm posted:

I didn’t realize piranha press was DC. I think I’ve got some decent stuff from that imprint, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it had.

I went through a huge Kyle Baker phase about 15 years ago, and found an early oversized printing of his Why I Hate Saturn graphic novel from Piranha Press. I also had The Cowboy Wally Show (earlier and lesser-known, but hilarious) and You Are Here, both in the same oversized format, and a regular comic-sized graphic novel of I Die At Midnight. I really enjoyed all four of those and wish I still had them. He's one hell of a cartoonist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 30, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Jordan7hm posted:

Killing Zone sounds horrible.

The big Piranha books for me are probably Why I Hate Saturn, Stuck Rubber Baby (I think that's where it started?) and personally Epicurus the Sage. The Elvis Mandible is also a pretty charming time capsule. It reminds me of Steve Abbott's New Narrative novel The Lizard Club
from a few years later.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Archyduchess posted:

The big Piranha books for me are probably Why I Hate Saturn, Stuck Rubber Baby (I think that's where it started?) and personally Epicurus the Sage. The Elvis Mandible is also a pretty charming time capsule. It reminds me of Steve Abbott's New Narrative novel The Lizard Club
from a few years later.
Stuck Rubber Baby was actually Paradox, though apparently it was developed as a Piranha book but by the time it was ready to go Piranha was discontinued and so it was pushed onto Paradox.

Then Paradox folded and it got reprinted as a Vertigo book.

Then Vertigo got hollowed out and folded so First Second is doing a new edition next year.

Looking up the (ultimately pretty small) list of books published by Piranha, in addition to the books already mentioned I remember reading some issues of Fast Forward (an anthology featuring Grant Morrison, Kyle Baker, Steve Purcell and others) out of quarter bins, and for whatever unclear reason both of the Prince comics that Dwayne McDuffie wrote/shepherded came out under Pirahana because I guess where else would you put them? I am only barely aware of half of the books listed here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

DC barely collects its critically-acclaimed material like JLI/A/E, Starman, and Sandman Mystery Theatre. That's why I bound my complete runs of those series into custom hardcovers, because I never had faith in them to collect everything in nice enough, complete enough editions. One of these days I'll get my complete Suicide Squad run bound too.

I went through a huge Kyle Baker phase about 15 years ago, and found an early oversized printing of his Why I Hate Saturn graphic novel from Piranha Press. I also had The Cowboy Wally Show (earlier and lesser-known, but hilarious) and You Are Here, both in the same oversized format, and a regular comic-sized graphic novel of I Die At Midnight. I really enjoyed all four of those and wish I still had them. He's one hell of a cartoonist.

Yeah the stuff I have from that imprint is Kyle Baker.

He’s so drat good. I just grabbed a bunch of Shadow books with the pairings of Hester & Baker and Hester & Sienkiewicz. That late 80s period is my favorite in terms of cool old poo poo you can find in the cheap bins.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Man, those are some terrible imprint names.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Seeing Helix reminds me that that was supposed to be the cyberpunk imprint, and that Transmet started there and when it folded it went to Vertigo.
I thought Vertigo was supposed to be a catch all for non DC books in the late mid to late 90s but apparently not.
Still there were some awesome DC comics being made on the periphery like Major Bummer and Gross Point.

Edit: also I used to love the poo poo out of Impact comics and even tried to get a full Comet run recently. I never gave Red Circle a try though. How does it holds up?

Madkal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 30, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

Seeing Helix reminds me that that was supposed to be the cyberpunk imprint, and that Transmet started there and when it folded it went to Vertigo.
I thought Vertigo was supposed to be a catch all for non DC books in the late mid to late 90s but apparently not.
I'm still not fully clear on the logic (and it extends at times to book publishing in general) that fetishizes having a dozen imprints. I guess the idea of the Original Vertigo's "sophisticated dark fantasy" focus was that it's easier to convince people who like Sandman to buy Shade the Changing Man and Sandman Mystery Theatre and Doom Patrol and Hellblazer since they're all kind of the same genre, but to convince someone who loves Walking Dead to give [Sex Criminals/Chew/Saga/Bitch Planet/Bitter Root] a shot is harder, since they're a wider range of tones and subjects.

Then again, the history of Vertigo's heyday was folding books from different imprints into it, and at the peak of its popularity they were in fact a mishmash of a bunch of different tones and genres. But they fought tooth and nail against that for at least five years, which meant you got things like Helix -- which despite launching several years prior, was changed to Helix from MATRIX because Warner Brothers had that pegged for a movie franchise.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Man, those are some terrible imprint names.
According to this editorial, working names for Vertigo included

- Third Eye
- Threshold
- Nightside
- Screaming Room

Imagine people twenty years out lamenting the decline and fall of THE SCREAMING ROOM

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I formally swear to rename this subforum The Screaming Room next October if anybody reminds me because I'm going to forget immediately.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The only thing from Paradox I've ever read were those "Big Book Of" comics, which were pretty neat, I keep telling myself that I need to hunt down physical copies one of these days and I never get around to it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

I formally swear to rename this subforum The Screaming Room next October if anybody reminds me because I'm going to forget immediately.

Well I put it in my phone reminders

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

drrockso20 posted:

The only thing from Paradox I've ever read were those "Big Book Of" comics, which were pretty neat, I keep telling myself that I need to hunt down physical copies one of these days and I never get around to it

I have a good half dozen of those or so, they are pretty fun general reading and the art is usually pretty decent.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Madkal posted:

They moved Transmet before Helix folded. They said it had become too different from the original idea of Helix, as if there were strict rules for what made a Helix title. But it was obvious Helix was about to end and they wanted to save the only book that was popular.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah the stuff I have from that imprint is Kyle Baker.

He’s so drat good. I just grabbed a bunch of Shadow books with the pairings of Hester & Baker and Hester & Sienkiewicz. That late 80s period is my favorite in terms of cool old poo poo you can find in the cheap bins.

I used to have those Shadow issues too! Man, they must have all gone in the same collection purge. Now the only Shadow issues I still have are the Howard Chaykin miniseries that predated the Andy Helfer series you mentioned, and I got Chaykin to sign them.

You and I have very similar tastes. I'm guessing we must be around the same age.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

They're not terribly expensive as I recall since they were a crossover hit beyond comics and feature some cool work by great creators that you wouldn't expect.

On other comic fronts, I've been reading Usagi Yojimbo again before bed. Did you guys know that comic is extremely good?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I completely forgot that Paradox distributed Gon. My brother and I used to go hang out at our cousin's college dorm and I thought she was the coolest person on earth for having weird comics about the dinosaur from Tekken.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Archyduchess posted:

If you got a twitter handle, I can send you a reminder.

I forget which imprint did Hard Time, but that little series is still my favorite oddity of the 2000's.

Random Stranger posted:

On other comic fronts, I've been reading Usagi Yojimbo again before bed. Did you guys know that comic is extremely good?

Every couple of years I pick up a few of the collections and are reminded just how good Sakai is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Happy 2020, BSS :)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Happy new year. I don't have anything witty or sober to add to that.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Happy new decade, everyone!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When's Judge Dredd.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

When's Judge Dredd.

Sorry, we live in the Judge Death dimension.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why post a screenshot of a tweet/link?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Piss!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

This isn't very good, Gripweed. As has been pointed out this is a screenshot of a tweet of a link to an article with no commentary. If you're going to lob in something probably either incendiary or annoying out of nowhere please at the very very least provide a link and ideally some of your own take on the thing you're linking. This is a crummy post, do better in 2020.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I had assumed the take was self-evidently bad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's how they do it in Glorious Nippon

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Linking to a tweet lets Twitter know it's being looked at, and might boost it in people's timelines. That's the excuse I see in the USPOL threads when they don't want to promote lovely articles.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Well, here’s a direct link to the poo poo-rear end article.

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/12/graphic-novels-comic-books-gentrification/

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
You'd think there'd be enough real things to get mad about in the world today.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I thought that article was going to be about the middle class aesthetics of the likes of Chris Ware, but it's merely "comics now win culturally mainstream awards and are adapted into movies that also win awards so they've abandoned their roots"

What a piece of poo poo. Jacobin has a lot of dumb takes sometimes

https://twitter.com/aketch20two/status/1212548982867681285

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1212893066463498240

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just read Zenith and Grant Morrison sure does the exact same thing over and over again a whole lot. I do like his later refinements on the formula better than this, it doesn't help that as a viewpoint character Zenith is a real shithead that I don't give a drat about.

The art in the big superhero crisis segment was just abysmal; I couldn't follow the action or identify what characters I was looking at half the time. Since that was the segment of the book that had a giant explosion in the cast and had a lot of plot developments that should have been conveyed in the art, that was a real problem. At several points I wound up having to flip back and forth between pages because the text told me what happened several pages afterward and then I had to go back to try to figure out what I missed in the art.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Random Stranger posted:

At several points I wound up having to flip back and forth between pages because the text told me what happened several pages afterward and then I had to go back to try to figure out what I missed in the art.

grantmorrison.txt for me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went on a week long vacation down south and made a few stops in random comic shops and man do I ever feel disconnected from that world now. Bought a few singles here and there but even those hold no allure anymore. And none of those shops had TPB selections worth a drat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

I went on a week long vacation down south and made a few stops in random comic shops and man do I ever feel disconnected from that world now. Bought a few singles here and there but even those hold no allure anymore. And none of those shops had TPB selections worth a drat.

If you haven't been paying attention to the news lately, don't worry about it. Everything is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

If you haven't been paying attention to the news lately, don't worry about it. Everything is fine.

It was kind of hard to miss. Also my brother in law is already over there so we're just waiting for terrible news at this point.