Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey guys. As someone who regularly made monthly threads I found the pressure to be smart and witty to be too much and the stress would drive me to early morning drinking and bad life choices so I fully support a quarterly chat thread idea as it will let me get my life back on track.

Also we should invite creators to join SA as that will bring in more people who will try drive those creators away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I stopped reading WicDiv ages ago (really couldn't get into it or care for any of the characters) but it seems like the issue with modern readings is that if you have a villain portrayed with any empathy, or show a story from their view some people immediately assume that the author is being supportive of the villain and their outlook. It is such a shallow reading and really can go a long way to stopping writers from making villains that are 3 dimensional rather than stock villains.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am also curious about Spiderman runs. I don't really have patience for the Ditko/Lee run, and the 90's is filled with Clone Saga nonsense. Were there some good Spiderman runs from the 80's worth checking out besides Kraven's Last Hunt?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Quick question about 90's Spiderman. Was every Spiderman storyline in the early to mid 90's Clone Saga related?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nice to see the idiot admit to his mistake instead of doubling down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like Metal for how stupidly bombastic it was. It all depends what you want out of an event book. If you want something that matters, or is impactful your mileage might vary. If you want thought provoking I guess there is Final Crisis but I'm not a big fan of that.
I think part of the problem with events is that they get too bloated for their own good, take characters who are doing their own thing in their own books and forces them to deal with something new and that can be very annoying for people following certain books, and usually the stories try force something big to happen whether it is organic or not.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm honestly treating Doomsday Clock like an Elseworld because I have no idea how else to considering it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Samuringa posted:

So did hook-handed Aquaman*

*Disclaimer: My experiences from hook-handed Aquaman are solely from JLU and that one panel sequence where both him and Lobo befriend each other because they love dolphins

Lobo loving dolphins is one of my favourite character traits for him. Just something about a big over the top macho man getting all the feels because of dolphins, and then he goes and joins some dolphin cult/religion in 52.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Samuringa posted:

Slack is the mIRC that people use at work and Discord is the mIRC that people use at home

Man I am so out of practice. Let me try. A/S/L? Did I do that right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the 10 dollar barrier really does work as some kind of screening process for forums and in the end leads to a different quality of forum. After all if you are stupid enough to spend 10 bucks to post on a forum where other forums are free you are already among a special breed. Or, if you are willing to spend 10 bucks to post here you got to make sure your stuff is worth it. Either theory makes sense for me.

We should open up a goon comic shop. We will be rich! Rich I tell you!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

There are sentient guns posting on reddit?

Does this guy/statue give good answers?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a thread for readthroughs of dumb ol' comics, fyi.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854028

Don't listen to this jerk. I look forward to the daily updates of the Clone Saga and don't care to visit another thread to read them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A few years ago I went backpacking around New Zealand and I started in Christchurch. I loved that place so much that I actually went back there to spend a few extra days. I even found a comic shop in the town which was great as I finished the books I brought with me for the trip. I ended up getting X-Men Mutant Massacre which kept me going for the rest of my backpacking trip.
I still can't comprehend what happened there. From what I remember about Christchurch it was a quaint, nice small city where everyone was friendly and laid back. I really loved it there.
My heart goes out to those who were killed by a bunch of a glory chasing bigotted gently caress heads.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

Wasn't there a Btaman comic a couple years back where the Riddler sewed a bunch of people together? It's crazy the amount of violence that they're cool with but swear words are still unacceptable.

That was Joker I'll have you know. Hmph

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I sometimes feel a pang of guilt for throwing our the dozen or so Wizard magazines I had. Sure the journalism sucked, and it was basically a listicle given magazine form but I would be lying if I say I didn't use to read and reread them cover to cover.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Last night I had a dream that I was drinking whiskey with Grant Morrison. Also he had a big bushy beard, lots of weird friends, and was a doctor.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Morrison is the living incarnation of the anti-beard equation:

I didn't say the dream made sense. There was something about him showing me how he comes up with his stories by having a giant canvass on the floor with random words on it. I told him I needed to find a doctor because my sister was very sick (I don't have a sister) and he told me that he is a doctor and he can help but first he has to go out partying.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My work place got evacuated due to possible arson. My co workers went to the nearest pub and had multiple pitchers. I know this isn't comic book related but I wanted you all to know I am okay (with drinking beer)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like possible arson turned into "multiple incindeary devices found" and man arrested later on. Nothing quite like finding out someone wanted to burn down your workplace really really badly. Anyway, how is everyone else doing?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Jeeze arsonist guy, every knows you burn the place down after hours so people dont get hurt

Glad you're okay, but uhhh do you have a job to go back to now??

Yea no work today but I think the damage was minimal. It was at the building next door to the building where I work (though the buildings are connected). Its just a weird feeling as for most of the day no one knew what was going on and then we are told that some guy tried to burn down the building with multiple devices.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I feel there needs to be some kind of skill testing question for the participants before they can have their debate. Something like:
1. Do you thin PoC are inferior or equal to you?
2. Do you think the war on drugs did more good or evil in the world?
3. Do you think health Care is a basic human right?
3. Do you think money justifies any and all actions?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Founder starting Michael Keating is about the origin of McDonalds. It paints a bit more complicated picture of Kroc but I wouldn't say it's sympathetic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey guys, there is this place called your local library and they carry graphic novels (and sometimes comics too) and the people that work there are generally very nice and the books there are free. So if you have kids who want to read some comics that is where I would recommend going.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Really don't bother with Ditko. Shade the Changing Man is probably his best DC work and visually it's kind of warmed over Dr. Strange.

If you're reading interregnum Kirby, be sure to check out The Demon (Klarion the Witch Boy is amazing) and Kamandi which is a cue to post the map:

The best thing about that map is how many awesome band names are contained in it if any future band wants an awesome name

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Starring red skull, baron zemo, arnim zola, crossbones, and hate monger?

Honestly those villains sound too competent for a Trump team. I figure it would be closer to complete idiots thinking they are the best but can't even tie their shoe laces right

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Splash pages all the way!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My New York trip is coming up soon. Is there any cool comics related stuff to do or see in New York?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't know about the rest of you goons but I started reading Mad via my dad's old copies (so basically stuff from the 70's and up). A lot of the humour went way over my head, I never read the movie parody stuff because they were too wordy, didn't read the Lighter side of... Because those were my mom's favourite things to read so it seemed to parentish to me. Loved spy vs spy, loved a mad look at segments, loved the Don Martin stuff too.
I remember for one birthday my cousin/godfather got me a Mad magazine subscription, and I even wrote in to Mad asking if I could get a poster of one of their covers. They wrote back saying that they don't do posters but gave me another copy of the magazine and the note also saying that it would be okay to remove the cover and frame it for my wall.
I stopped reading Mad when I went into high school. The humour just no longer appealed to me, and I just felt that the stuff wasn't as good as my dad's back issues (and it really took a bit of a dive after Gaines died even though there was still some good stuff that came after). A buddy of mine still got issues though so whenever I was at his place I would read his stuff. I wasn't too impressed.
For me the best representation of Mad didn't even come from the magazine but rather from the Simpsons, where Bart briefly visited the Mad offices (just left of the methedone clinic). I'm sure you goons know the scene I am talking about. That scene of childhood wonder and and Glee at the absurdities at everything.
Early Mad shaped my humour as I am sure it did for many many others. Even though I stopped reading it ages ago the fact that it might not exist anymore outside or back issues just seems....slightly less mad than the world right now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe they would be more blown away by the fact that Britney's ex, Justin Timberlake, has had a bigger and longer career than Britney.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is it worth my time to tell Chud comic book fans that Superman came to America illegally, fleeing a doomed planet, not entering through the port of authorities, and if probably would have ended up at the child camps when he first arrived?

I know the answer is a sad no.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It was on a Mark Hamil post where he posted the panel of Superman saying people who are against immigrants are unAmerican. Comments are what you would expect.
Also Dixon bums me out. Dude wrote some.of my fave comics in the 90s and while he was never a name I would follow looking back at my old comics and a lot that I read over and over again were written by him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

I found the same thread and realized I had the checklist someone references and I also have a ton of fanzines floating around and so uh I kind of tried to make a proper checklist?

This is what I have so far

I think a lot of the info from both the thread and the old CBG guide are dodgy (they attribute a bunch of art to "Bryne" and "Chido" and "Sienkiewicq" and some of the numbering looks a little off. The attribution in the CBR thread is similarly spotty, and the images are a whole other level of dodgy. The point where the CBG checklist leaves off (1993) is also not long before Marvel breaks off and self-distributes for a few years, then goes back to Diamond, then declares bankruptcy, so it's tougher than normal to track down solicitations from that era, so there's a lot of missing numbers/missing posters from that point forward, but I start filling in what I could find from the distributor catalogs I've already scanned.

If anyone wants to go full GOON PROJECT on this and track down some decent photos/scans or the original sources for any of the artwork (I think over half of the poster from about #100 onward are either covers or art from trading cards) that would also be rad! I am through crate digging for the night.

Here's a link to all of the poster images I've scraped together too

That Storm poster is as punk as gently caress!

Also kind of bummed to see Rogue having a confederate flag towel :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

I always like it when creators show each other this kind of respect and admiration.

https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/1156879115892301824?s=19

Also, has anyone read this run? Doug Moench writing F4 sounds intriguing.

Also whatever happened to Moench? I loved his Batman run with Jones, and every now and again they reunite, but it seems he had a steep drop off after the late 90's which is a shame.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Quick personal question: How often do you goons re-read single issues compared to trade volumes?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I guess what I am getting at is that I buy single issues every Wednesday, read them and the board them/stack them and that's about it. But if I get a trade I am more likely to re-read that over pulling out maybe a 6 or so single issues for rereading a single arc.
I just find that I don't re-read single issues much anymore after the initial read. I have comics from when I was a kid that I used to read until the covers came off. Now I have a bunch that I usually end up donating after only being read once.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It kind of sucks that they are implying the only reason Peter became a hero is because of a tragedy, instead of some kind of being just raised right. That is more of a failing on May and Ben's behalf if the only way for Peter to be a decent guy was for one of them to be killed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you want some catharsis write a review of the moving company saying that the movers there steal stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
"As an industry professional....I can vote in this year's Harvey Awards". I have never felt such power before.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Suicide Squad also won an Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For everyone complaining about Quitely's humans in his artwork just read We3. That is the book that made me a Quitely fan.