Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can someone help be figure out what I need to buy if I want to own everything related to Megg, Mogg and Owl that's published right now?

I got Megahex and One More Year from the library, and there's a "Megg's Coven" book advertised in there, but I can't find that on Amazon. There's some really expensive paperbacks--but I don't know if those are included in one of the other editions or what.

I really enjoyed them so I want to buy those two, but I don't really know what else to get. I see Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam and Bad Gateway--but then also a bunch of other ones, like Happy loving Birthday, Special K, Life Zone, Worst Behavior, Magical Ecstasy Trip, Maximal Spleen...are all of these unique content or are some of those already compiled in a different version with a different title? Like, I remember reading about Owl's birthday in one of the ones from the library--is Happy loving Birthday something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zachack posted:

I have vague memories of Amsterdam containing Owls birthday. I think Amsterdam is part of the same comprehensive collection series that you have the first two books of. Not familiar with bad gateway.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying trying to track the stuff down and I feel it shouldn't be. All it would take is some little blurb saying that the present work contains work x, work y, and work z in their entirety along with new work or whatever.

I don't recall any actual visit to Amsterdam in the two I read, so it's like if the Amsterdam book contains stuff I've already read in a different book but also other new stuff too, that's really annoying.

The only books on Fantagraphics's site are Bad Gateway, Megahex, One More Year, and Amsterdam, along with two mini ones called Minihex and Inessential Garbage. So I have no idea where all those other books on Amazon fit in.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Edge & Christian posted:

My understanding is that Megahex/Amsterdam/One More Year are meant to be the 'complete' Megg and Mogg in the sense that Hanselmann has curated, revised, added to, rearranged, etc. all of the stories he's done 2010(?)-2017 into a "box set", but that there's a decent amount of one-offs and minicomics and other things that he didn't feel like collecting, hence the free-with-purchase minicomics with names like "Inessential Garbage". They're designed to be three parts of a series of collections so there shouldn't be any overlap between the three.

Bad Gateway is (I think) the first Big Megg and Mogg Story Written To Be Read All Together In One Graphic Novel. It's described in the press release about it as "Megg's Coven Book One" so I'm guessing it just changed names between being mentioned in One More Year and now.

Of the other books you mentioned, Life Zone and Worst Behavior were shorter limited editions that according to interviews are collected in full in One More Year.

Maximal Spleen, Happy loving Birthday and Magical Ecstasy Trip are albums published in France (in French) that appear to be material collected in the three Fantagraphics editions. Special K is the same, except Italian.

So basically getting the three (soon to be four) Fantagraphics books should be the most complete (and non-overlapping) way of reading everything, though you might be missing odds and ends.

Thank you!!

That's like the best possible answer, I was getting depressed that there were random comics that were like over a hundred dollars I wouldn't be able to read. It looks like if I order from Fantagraphics directly I can get the mini comics too!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Huh, what should your favorite Grant Morrison comic be? I confess I've never really been blown away by anything he's done except All Star Superman.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did Morrison even credit that one Doom Patrol story which was a straight up rip off of Borges?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does Arkham Asylum have one? That's what I always associated Morrison with before he wrote everything else he did.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm sure if I went back and looked at old Inquests I'd feel the same way people feel about Wizard, but I loved that magazine at the time.

I think Toyfare might still hold up, or at least, the Twisted Toyfare Theaters maybe? I could be wrong though, it's been a long time.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ah, well, that's a bummer. I still think something fun could be done with the premise of positioning toy dolls and action figures into poses, if the writing wasn't as dated.

I actually don't think I read much Wizard, but Inquest had a fun feature where you'd be presented with a Magic puzzle and have to figure out how to solve it in one turn called "Dead Man's Hand" I believe. Magic was popular enough, I'm surprised no one tried to make an actual puzzle book of it like you could buy crossword puzzle books or Sudoku.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
On that note, it was pretty cool how the early Saga trades have BKV listed first and then Fiona Staples but the later ones have Fiona first above BKV. Obviously it was no accident, just neat seeing that much respect between the writer and the artist.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked that weird GI Joe and Transformers book, but I think it exists in its own continuity. A child of the 80s knowledge served me fine.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Has anyone heard of Ben Katchor's strips from Metropolis magazine being compiled into a book at some point? I only see his latest work in Best American Comics anthologies. I think his last book was Hand Drying in America from 2013 and I'd love to see his newer stuff.

But short of finding years worth of back issues to a magazine about architecture, I'm not sure how to get to read them.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I mostly hate digital comics, but maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. A nice sized tablet to read comics on is hundreds of dollars, anyway, a far cry from all in color for a dime and cheap as hell back issues.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just don't see how they are really comparable in terms of value. On the one hand you have an invisible digital collection that you maybe pirated or maybe paid super duper discount sale prices for that you can carry with you anywhere, but can't lend or display.

On the other hand, you have something physical you can hold in your hand, the creative team's work in the format it was designed to be experienced in, though I can concede that perhaps this is changing in ways I don't recognize because I don't read much contemporary hero comics.

I like going through back issue bins and used book stores and discovering stuff by synchronicity much more than shopping on Amazon or eBay; I suppose that could be a 'feels' or nostalgic thing and I can believe that my earlier point about cost/convenience of digital vs print isn't as large a factor for 'today's youth' as I thought, but still, every inexpensive tablet I've owned has not been a great comics reading device and reading on my PC or phone also sucks. When I've asked here the response always seems to be to buy a huge expensive iPad, which I would argue is out of reach of middle school kids, probably.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Madkal posted:

Hey guys, there is this place called your local library and they carry graphic novels (and sometimes comics too) and the people that work there are generally very nice and the books there are free. So if you have kids who want to read some comics that is where I would recommend going.

Excellent PSA; it's great for adults too!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The store I go to gives you 4 and has a decent sale going on. I usually buy a half dozen books since I don't make it in too often, I'd hope most people aren't just grabbing the free comics and cookies and buying nothing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Kins posted:

Comic Chat! It was an IRC client of sorts that represented everyone with avatars drawn by underground cartoonist Jim Woodring.

I've been reading through the tech relics thread and came across the above; what a bizarre world we live in. It reminds me of OK Soda with Dan Clowes but somehow weirder because imagining strange Frank themed chat rooms in the early days of the internet seems like an even bigger mismatch.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
"Every Straight Dude on Bumble" does...what??

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

site posted:

i mean, i can see it

What's with the gradients in the background?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...wait, what the gently caress? Marvel released censored versions of the Moore Miracleman run? The gently caress?

What the hell does Kid Miracleman's rampage look like in the censored version? Does everyone bleed flowers and presents like when you turn party mode on in TF2?

e: I'm googling around and... really not finding any clear answers on what that looks like. Apparently they censored the N-word, which is fair enough, but the idea that they censored it more heavily than that irks me. Are the print TPBs unfucked-with or do I have to get the MAX versions on Comixology to own them?

e2: huh, apparently the print versions are the MAX versions (though only labeled as such on Comixology, and just polybagged with a parental advisory in stores), and the N-word edit is common to both. The fuckery on the "mass market" digital edition runs deeper, but is also exclusive to that version, and mostly consists of nudity edits.

Weird. Replacing his name with The Original Author meant those books were DOA to me, but I'm fortunate enough to have the Eclipse trades, at least for the Moore run. Is Gaiman's take any good?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Er... that was something Moore wanted, iirc, as a way of diverting his share of the royalties back to everyone else involved (as he thought Mick Anglo in particular had gotten screwed pretty badly).

Interesting, I just assumed it was a big comic publisher finding another way to screw him over.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thinking about it, he did very little work for Marvel in general, right? Just the Captain Britain run?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Madkal posted:

My New York trip is coming up soon. Is there any cool comics related stuff to do or see in New York?

Try to get a selfie with Spiderman, Daredevil or the Punisher!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Why are the X-Men movies so blah? I only saw the original 3 and No Country For Old Mutants, but every other movie I've heard of always just comes off sounding lower tier than the MCU ones.

In theory, anyway, the X-Men characters should have way more appeal than, say, Ant-Man.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just read The Tale of One Bad Rat and thought it was excellent. Is Bryan Talbot's other stuff of the same high quality?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wasn't there a live action Ritchie Rich TV show already?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Soonmot posted:

oh my god yeah, with the teen sex robomaid, right?

https://youtu.be/OTMZ2X5cE_Q

Ugh, yeah, that's the one. This trailer is only a minute long, but ye gods, such hatred it summons!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Endless Mike posted:

Ugh, I wasn't going to get it since I wasn't super in love with the first series, but maybe I will now.

Do you think they'll do a big collected trade if it ends up as a big weird event? The premise sounds amusing, but I don't really follow ongoing titles very much.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Man, Todd Klein continues his lettering dominance.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roth posted:

By the way, I finally got JLA/Avengers in physical form, and I'm really overjoyed to own it

They're really fun! I found half of them at a Half Price Books for cover price, then hunted down the other two. The trade is really pricey but the individual issues aren't too bad.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That poster dump stirred up a memory for me; I had that one of Wolverine in a speedo eyeing up the shark as a boy. Not a poster I'd have had up and prominent in high school or college, but I like the implied violence to come. Very much eye candy for lovers of the male form, too, which is kind of cool, given how much female form eye candy there is.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Random Stranger posted:

One day in Len Wein's office in the 1970's:

"Hmm... the first issue of this swamp monster comic is boffo! But what am I going to have the swamp guy do next issue?

I've got it! He goes to Eastern Europe!"

I'm reading the pre-Alan Moore Swamp Thing stories since my Fourth World stuff is all boxed up and it was so weird to immediately ditch the swamp setting. Berni Wrightson is amazing, though.

I'm curious for your insights on this run; from the preface Moore wrote, it sounded like it was pretty goofy and had Swamp Thing riding around on the back of a truck a lot.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did anyone else see that "Disney legend Jack Kirby" tweet?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2019/

I own Hellboy Library Editions 1 and 3 and I need to add some stuff to my Christmas list. This reading list is a bit complicated to me, but is it the case that the Library Editions contain everything that would be in the omnibuses? Like, the first omnibus mentions two volumes of short stories--are those included in the Library Editions?

Basically, if I ask for the other Library Editions, is that all the Hellboy material? Or would it be missing certain core Hellboy stuff that the omnibuses contain?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CPL593H posted:

That diagram there is too convoluted. Just read the omnibus editions in their numerical order and the two short story collections whenever. The whole point of the omnibi (omnibuses?) is to make it simple to read. Those six books compile all the Hellboy material from the beginning all the way through Hellboy in Hell. I have no idea what the Library Editions contain though. I only read all that after the omnibuses (?) were released because I didn't want to buy fifty of those little trades they use to have. The price point on the omnibi (?) is really good too. Getting bogged down in which of the spinoffs you should read when seems like an exercise in tedium. I can tell you from reading just Hellboy I wasn't lost because I didn't read Lobster Johnson volume one and then BPRD volume two or whatever the gently caress in between each book.

I think the Library Editions are just compilations of two trades, hardbound, with bonus sketches and that kind of thing, but I'm not sure. If I didn't already have volumes 1 and 3 that I found for a good price, I probably would just start over with the omnibuses. Maybe I should anyway, honestly, the sketches and stuff don't do much for me.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Do "Tales Designed to Thrizzle" Volumes 1 and 2 contain multiple of the single issues? I don't know why it's so hard to figure this poo poo out--you would think the product description on Amazon would say "contains issues 1-4 of Tales Designed to Thrizzle" or something.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gripweed posted:

oh god it gets so much worse than the headline

"you’re not only diving into very hot button topics but you’re handling them in such a way that viewers can read whatever they want into their meaning."

Even if you don't like Moore's politics, they aren't obscured behind a cowardly facade of pretending to engage with actual issues. Letting the viewer decide because it's more profitable to be non-controversial than make an actual argument is pathetic. Not that I was going to watch the show anyway, but bleh.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Speaking of Ware, he's a huge gap in my comic knowledge. I've always found his stuff in anthologies okay, but found his layouts not intuitive to scan and the characters all various sad sacks.

He's a huge name in comics and I love Clowes and other Fantagraphics 'artiste' comics guys, so am I really missing out on not reading Ware? Where should I get started if I want to get a decent idea of what he's about?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is a single issue disposable or is it not?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Essentials and Showcase suck because they're black and white reproductions of things originally published in color. If I'm reading 5 years worth of some hoary series from the 70s, I want to see it in color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just remember checking out a Legion of Superheroes Showcase and only getting halfway through it, even though I love Silver Age comics. Something about that stuff not being in color robs the material of some vital quality for me, which sucks because those volumes are cheap and the Archives are much more expensive. I have two House of Mystery and three House of Secrets Showcases I thought I'd get into but again, the black and white throws me off and makes the experience not as fun.

Whereas I could and have read thousands of pages of black and white indie comics without a problem at all. I think I associate superhero and Big 2 comics with color, so seeing them in black and white just doesn't work for me.

I own almost all the EC annuals that bundled 5 issues together and those were all color and only $9.95 or $11.95, I don't know why DC or Marvel couldn't do some similar kind of reprint. Paying $50 for four issues of Superboy in an Archive format is dumb.