Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t post much, but agreed on the removal of monthly threads.

Right now I’m working my way through a whole bunch of Disney books from the middle of the last century. Having read all of the Marvel silver age cape books and lots of the other books too, it’s shocking just how amateurish much of it was vs what Barks was putting out decades earlier. Yeah there’s some lovely stereotypes, but from the clean cartoonish lines to the layouts to the dialogue and adventure plots, Disney’s stuff was a cut above.

Don Rosa isn’t Carl Barks (he’s better), but for those who haven’t tried the Donald Duck stories, in April’s there’s a new Fantagraphics Life and Times of Scrooge being released that’s suppose to be the “director’s cut” version of the story. Sight unseen, highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But what if new people join Someth...

oh

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished Lone Wolf and Cub.

Just... goddamn.

What an ending.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrFlibble posted:

I bought the Don Rosa library editions volumes 4 and 5 that contain The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and i'm considering buying the box set thats released later this year that apparently has the stories in chronological order with the extra stories that pertain to it.

But thats a good comic.

Yeah you can’t own too many high quality versions of that story.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Random Stranger and I are working on a podcast called Marvel Be My Destiny, that covers the Marvel Universe in some sort of chronological order. I embarked on a big Marvel reading project a few years ago, so these comics are still pretty fresh for me, whereas RS has an extensive knowledge of comics history. The intent is to do 60-90 minute episodes with a focus on 6-7 related books, mostly but not entirely from the MU.

We have ~6 episodes recorded, still working through the kinks. Posting a pilot episode. Note that we're still working on improving the audio production and figuring out the right amount of editing.

Looking for any feedback people have.

You can download it here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally encountered Mantis and her first real big story with the Avengers.

Steve Englehart is fine, but holy poo poo this is awful. It’s like Deathstroke in Identity Crisis. Thor may be a god, but she knows martial arts!!!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

My fave GMo comic is that random arc of Swamp Thing he co wrote 25 years ago.

Mine is Klaus. I loving love Klaus.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ottawa has a new comic book convention focused on dealers and today happened to be my birthday so I just bought myself a whole bunch of birthday presents.

Picked up about 30 issues of Conan Saga, a bunch of 1980s Marvel minis (Kitty & Wolverine, Iceman, some others) and finished my runs of Doom Patrol and JLI/A/E.

For weird stuff I bought some Go Bots illustrated books that have (very bad) Steve Ditko art.

For great stuff I bought three of my favourite Captain America stories (113, 107, and 155) for a song. 110 was there too but I didn’t want to drop another 40$.

Lots of reading ahead.

e: said Ditko art

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 31, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Hey now, both a sane person and completely disingenuous bigoted dogwhistling need to put on equal footing so people can make up their minds.

I think you’ll find that what we really need more of is some decorum while engaging in debate with nazis.

On that note, I’m reading Sgt Fury to catch up on the war books in my marvel reading project. Here’s some incredible panels from #6, which I think is a must read.

No room for bigots in this man’s army.

(Other good images from the era are in the liveblogging thread)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is a weird thing to be pedantic about.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holy moly Thanos War is super goddamn good.

Jim Starlin was the Real Deal in 1974.

I like how he got Englehart and Gerber on board for his wild ride too. Even got some nice panels out of Bob Brown.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to figure out who the Marvel cartoonists were. The only ones I can think of right now (up to ~74) were loving lights out top of the game guys. These are guys who made magic every time they touched a page.

Ditko
Steranko
Starlin

Kirby got to do it on a handful of books before he left for DC, but honestly his writing wasn't great.

Everett got to write a handful of books late in his life. His art was kinda meh, but he introduced some liberal politics and I mean the guy was a legend so whatever.

Anyone I'm missing from this era? I feel like there's at least one more, I just can't remember who it is. He only got a handful of books, I remember it being weird that they let him get the full credits.

e: I thought maybe Larry Lieber, but Stan still got credits for a lot of the work he drew back in the Silver Age, so I dunno

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I went looking for Severin specifically because I thought she may have had a couple, but I didn't see them.

Guys like Colan, Ploog, and even Heck got a handful of stories, but I figure those were probably either fill ins because they had no other options, or just getting that one story out of someone who is clearly an artist first and foremost.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough... as you know I don’t pay much attention to the westerns or romance books.

I think Kirby got better when he moved to DC. His Marvel stuff was bad. Never much of a writer but by god the man could draw a story.

I looked for Adams but he hadn’t done much Marvel work at this point.

I’m definitely looking forward to guys like Miller and Simonson. There’s just something about cartoonist on Big 2 books that really does it for me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think FF has been fine since Kirby left. A huge part of that is the Marvel writers getting better... first Thomas, then Conway, and the fact that all the artists on FF ape the hell out of Kirby. I just read Rich Buckler’s first arc on the title (140ish) and there’s Kirby tech and Kirby dots all over the drat place.

Rich Buckler was a pretty good artist who you never really hear too much about.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Huh. That makes a lot of sense.

Rich did some good work on Avengers covers too, but there his work looks a lot like John Buscema.

Honestly... at least he was swiping from great artists. I’m happier with a Kirby clone than with whatever the hell Gil Kane was doing.

Trimpe is another one who leans really heavily into looking like other great artists.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just don't see how they are really comparable in terms of value. On the one hand you have an invisible digital collection that you maybe pirated or maybe paid super duper discount sale prices for that you can carry with you anywhere, but can't lend or display.

On the other hand, you have something physical you can hold in your hand, the creative team's work in the format it was designed to be experienced in, though I can concede that perhaps this is changing in ways I don't recognize because I don't read much contemporary hero comics.

I like going through back issue bins and used book stores and discovering stuff by synchronicity much more than shopping on Amazon or eBay; I suppose that could be a 'feels' or nostalgic thing and I can believe that my earlier point about cost/convenience of digital vs print isn't as large a factor for 'today's youth' as I thought, but still, every inexpensive tablet I've owned has not been a great comics reading device and reading on my PC or phone also sucks. When I've asked here the response always seems to be to buy a huge expensive iPad, which I would argue is out of reach of middle school kids, probably.

I have a huge expensive iPad and absolutely recommended it for reading comics.

I also like print comics a ton. And growing up I read the hell out of the comics at my local library (mostly French bande dessines and Elfquest).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m reading the Fourth World omnibus right now. I’ve read New Gods, Forever People and most of Mister Miracle but never much of Jimmy Olsen and never as a whole project. I wanted to get a sense of what Kirby was doing while he was away from Marvel, before he comes back. I may do the same for Ditko at some point.

Now, you know I love me some Kirby art but the writing... I have to take breaks with this, every character talks like they’re screaming and they all have the same voice. There’s something to be said for the crazy ideas he had, but I wish there had been someone to help him with the dialogue.

But that said, and speaking of crazy ideas, replica jimmy olsens? Yes please more of this nonsense. I like that he had to ground at least one of his books in the actual DC universe and not just situate it in his own little playground invented entirely by him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I’ve read a huge chunk of Kamandi before. I read it to my kid, and both of us really liked it. May finish it off.

I’ve got to read the Demon though. I almost picked it up last week but didn’t want to carry a book home. May need to correct that.

Meanwhile in Marvel world I’ve reached It! The Living Colossus. Ugh. Kirby writing may not be great but it’s still a million times better than this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

ComicTropes is pretty good, and I've already recommended Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg's Cartoonist Kayfabe channel in the past

Thanks for this. I am loving their channel.

And it also led me to this: Tom Palmer Jr is writing about his column from wizard and transposing it to his site. Pretty cool blast from the past. Palmerspicks.com

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That mad magazine story was loving amazing.

The Zdarsky spider-man is gold for single story.

I like that Piskor got a nod for grand design, but I’d put my money on Mister Miracle there.

I like My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies a lot - just another great Brubaker / Phillips collaboration.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Manu Larcenet is something loving else.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The strip itself is sequential art. What the heck.

They could just say newspaper strips don’t count or something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone going to tcaf?

Randomly booked a place in Toronto next to go, but have never been and no idea what it’ll be like.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Post pics!

My old boss asked me if I wanted to come as Woody and then he very tone-deafedly asked if I had any black friends to be Quantum.

:stare:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My local does 3 free of the current year and 5 free of the previous years. The store 1 block away does 30 free.

I ended up buying a trade from the second store because otherwise I’d feel bad just taking free books.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Am at TCAF tomorrow. Anyone else going?

I’m gonna buy a whole stack of weird indie books.

And also James Stokoe’s new hardcover collection.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so I bought a ton of stuff.

Gonna read it all (eventually) and post my thoughts and pics in the empty livereading thread.

Early thoughts though:

The indigenous history zines were expensive, are not comics, and likely are the most impactful thing I bought.

The kayfabe anthology is a mixed bag as are all anthologies, but some of the stories are fantastic and I love that cover.

Silent invasion is an 80s renegade press book that is sick as hell. The interior line work is really really good. The cover actually lets it down.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

"Every Straight Dude on Bumble" does...what??

Not very much, tbh. Works out, is tall, likes coffee, wants to travel, is both family and career oriented... I could make a better zine and have better bumble stories than the girl who made this. Ah well, it’s a gift for my brother who is deep in that tinder / bumble life.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s gross and terrible. Goddam Millar.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

splash pages and vertical splash pages where you gotta turn the book sideways and foldout splash pages are cool, don't @ me

Agreed.

Doing cool stuff with the art is cool. My favourite marvel pages are the 4 page splash that Steranko did in Strange Tales that required you to buy 2 copies of the book to experience fully.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sweet mirrored art.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Belgian swear game is on point.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m highly considering driving up to Brooklyn from Atlantic city next month to go to Koch’s warehouse. So, that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

I will look into these, thanks.

I got confused and thought House of X was coming out next week instead of in July, so I might go tomorrow and look around myself, and maybe grab those number ones that just came out. I really like collecting comics as a hobby and think it'd be fun to own an entire run of something that I was following from the beginning or close to it. I am under no illusions about it ever being a thing that might turn a profit though.

Sometimes you pull an immortal hulk from the start. But usually you dig in dollar bins a year later and find books you paid full price for and haven’t read yet.

I pick my subscription books based on a couple things:

Creators I want to support (this is the biggest one)
Cool concepts I want to see more of (big 2 anthology series, big 2 artist/writer books)
Series or imprints I’m invested in (Birthright, Curse Words, the Black Hammer Universe, the Young Animal universe)

The chance of getting a return is no chance at all, because I have no intention of selling my books anytime soon. Comics is an expense, not an investment. Hell, I have two full runs of Sandman and I just haven’t bothered to sell one of them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I've been reading ABC Warriors and Nemesis the Warlock, trying to keep them generally in their proper order. I started reading some Nemesis collections I bought, realized it was heavily tied to ABC Warriors and went back to get those collections. Anyway, these comics are simultaneously wonderfully drawn, disturbing to look at, and absolutely brutal in the way that only comics from British authors in the 80's could be. It's weird to me how out of the longer running strips from 2000AD, these seem to be the ones that never get mentioned (yes, I know Nemesis was mentioned a couple of posts up; also, just finished reading Gothic Empire and switching books and it was indeed very cool) because they're exceptional.

Weird, I just bought a huge box of 2000AD from the mid 80s.

The art is so goddamn good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Giant Days is good and the fact it’s ending is certainly a factor in people voting for it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So Chuck Dixon sucks a lot, and I don’t care about airboy. But man that Steranko variant cover has me thinking about buying a Dixon book.

The August solicits are packed with stuff I want to buy. A Street Angel TP that collects the smaller books, a new Copra ongoing from image, a bunch of Floating World stuff... and DC / Marvel doing some cool minis, like the Joe Hill stuff, Gurihiru Superman fights the KKK, FF Grand Design, and Bizarre Adventures.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Quick personal question: How often do you goons re-read single issues compared to trade volumes?

50/50. I am currently reading Kupperburg Doom Patrol, and that's all in singles. There's something about pulling out a single issue and reading it as originally crafted, looking at the editorial notes, letter column, and ads. I like reading singles. It also slows me down a bit, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but also isn't a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

I guess what I am getting at is that I buy single issues every Wednesday, read them and the board them/stack them and that's about it. But if I get a trade I am more likely to re-read that over pulling out maybe a 6 or so single issues for rereading a single arc.
I just find that I don't re-read single issues much anymore after the initial read. I have comics from when I was a kid that I used to read until the covers came off. Now I have a bunch that I usually end up donating after only being read once.

Honestly most of the time when I buy trades they just end up on my shelves anyway. So it's really about what form I want to collect the work in.

I think the digital pricing is ridiculous, so I'm not willing to go heavy into digital single issue buys for my weekly pulls.