Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Late to the game re: templates for writing comics, but I use Fred Van Lente's template (as modified by Rob Marland), and it's great. It's the "Rob's Auto-Numbering" template here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

One of my friends in high school picked up 30+ of the First editions of Lone Wolf and Cub at a flea market in rural Prince Edward Island (which I later inherited [the books, not the province]), they were a big part of my comics youth. Talk about an atom bomb of a book to drop on a couple of teenage brains.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I imagine it would most likely come from the writer- anything in a script that would be considered inappropriate should get snapped up in the editor's notes, before it hits lettering. Still some stuff gets through- "drat it" always seems to get through to the lettering pass, when it's invariably changed to "dammit". On occasion an editor will just change something on their own though, so who knows?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Essential Conan looked great too, I don't know about better than the original but a lot better than the recolors.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Buscema's linework is very bold and looks great in black and white. And the coloring on the conan book was some of the worst.

I remember reading magazine-collected french prints of Marvel Mags when I was a kid and Hulk looked amazing in black and white, simply because of that strong, confident inking and linework.

It's actually the Barry Windsor-Smith stuff I was thinking of, but he's always done just fine without color:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Sounds like the Beetle's first outfit-

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Every one in a while I'll remember that Jack Flagg was a Guardian of the Galaxy. What a world.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Nightwatch was part of Soule's She-Hulk story a while back. Ron Wimberly redesigned him:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone ever read Wasteland? It was a mature readers horror anthology comic published by DC from 1987 to 1989, and it was co-written by Suicide Squad scribe John Ostrander and the late improv comedy legend Del Close. I've always been fascinated by the idea of it, because I liked Suicide Squad so much, but especially because I'm a comedy nerd. Before he passed away in 1999, Close taught so many influential figures who came up from the Chicago comedy scene between the '70s and the '90s -- Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, John Candy, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, all the way up to Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Bob Odenkirk.

Wasteland ran for 18 issues, but was never collected, and it's something I never see in my local shops' ever-shrinking back issue bins. Horror is one of my least-favorite genres in general, but I'm wondering if this was more of a Twilight Zoney or satirical horror series, given Close's comedy credentials and Ostrander being a drat underrated writer for most of his career. (His Suicide Squad had a lot of much-needed comic relief in it too). I read A LOT of DC books during that era, which was late elementary school for me -- especially my beloved Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League titles. I remember a creepy, Vertigo-esque house ad for Wasteland, featuring a live fish swimming inside an hourglass, with its water slowly dripping away to the compartment below.

As a lifelong comic and toy collector, I always enjoy the feeling of having things out there I'm looking to collect that are hard to find, just out of my grasp, things I'd happily purchase if I could find them for the right deal, but I'm not fiending to track them down ASAP or pay inflated prices for them. Maybe in the next decade, Wasteland can give me that feeling again -- but only if it's worth the wait and the hunt!

I've read issues of Wasteland here and there, but it was never what I expected, given that I was basing my assumptions on those great full page ads in comics ~30 years ago. That one with the kid in the snowglobe was haunting!

Edit: there it is!

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Sheldon Vella has a sale on his original art over at Cadence, everything 30% off with all proceeds going to fire relief in Australia. He has pages from the Dazzler/Daughters of the Dragon short we did ages ago (my first Marvel job!) as well as some other cool stuff!