Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I was just rolling my eyes at the latest issue of Doomsday Clock, the DC Universe-shaking event in which nothing happens and it takes twice as long to not happen, and the thought occurred to me: what was the last actually good event comic? Like, something that got its own special title and didn't just temporarily take over associated books, and had a miniseries, and everything. A proper event comic. Just how long have they been unceasingly bad for?

I also wanted to ask why they all suck, but then I realized I already knew the answer to that -- I was gonna say "it cannot be that hard to pull a big scary bad guy out, team up all your favorite heroes, and have a big fireworks show of them punching the baddy as awesomely as possible" and then I remembered oh yeah, every event now is about moping, heroes hitting each other, or both. Just give me Superman punching Dr. Manhattan, for gently caress's sake! This is not a complicated medium! They can yell philosophy at each other during the punches!

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Soonmot posted:

You're not alone, I was waiting for that too.

Doomsday clock is still going on? Has that been running for like a year and ahalf now? What has actually happened?
Nothing that won’t be immediately ignored because the goddamn thing’s taken so long to come out that it can’t fit anywhere in continuity and Bendis got hired in the interim and is running everything now anyway.

I don’t know if it’s been super delayed or this slow-drip release bullshit was intentional, but shockingly it turns out that the comic advancing 2017’s hottest plotline has somehow been overtaken by the linear march of time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The absolute lowest form of comic book story is the one that tries to resolve contradictory continuity.
Geoff Johns just got super loving angry and doesn't know why.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm really enjoying Spencer's Spider-run, but I freely admit that anyone willing to roll their eyes at Brand New Day's bullshit and have Peter and MJ just have a quick "wait, why the gently caress aren't we together? This dancing around each other is dumb as poo poo and we both know how it's gonna end up" conversation wins a ton of good will from me, and he did that as, like, the literal first thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Smart Hulk ruled, unironically.
He's smart again in Immortal Hulk, which everyone ought to be reading anyway.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I'm pretty dubious of finding another good nerd community myself when SA closes. I mean what am I going to do, go to reddit? Twitter?
Maybe reddit? I don't go there because it's the scum of the internet and looks like it hasn't been redesigned since 1997, but my understanding is that any idiot can make any subforum they like and set their own rules specific to that subform. So, worst case, we just... remake BSS there? I don't fuckin' know.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's only three issues in and is so it really hasn't yet answered the basic question of "okay but why, what's the story here", but I'm really liking it so far. The basic concept of "let's reboot it and do Buffy but in 2019" is neat, but it also actually reminds me really strongly, oddly enough, of the Mortal Kombat reboot where the story mode, especially early on, was "okay, it's the first three games again, but this time we're doing it like we would have if we'd known the series-spanning metaplot all along". It's not just "what if Buffy in 2019", it's "what if Buffy in 2019 and we had all seven season's worth of characters to play with right from the start, complete with seven seasons of character development so we know who they really are and what makes them tick", and... that's interesting! I also like the little remix touches around the edges, where certain characters around the edges seem to have swapped roles with someone else, it keeps things from being too predictable. I'm enjoying it and I hope it can stick around and settle into a groove, because goddamn, "okay let's do typical high school problems but actualized as monsters" has got a whole lot of interesting new problems to mine that just plain weren't there 20 years ago.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Esplanade posted:

Maybe Osborne was ye Greene Gobline of 1602?
He was, I just checked.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109586216146604032

I'm feeling extremely called out now and I don't like it, I think this is cyberbullying.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't approve. Pose your fuckin' dudes! Get a tableau going on! Those guys are all waiting for the bus, apart from Thor, who sticks out like a sore thumb because he's actually doing something interesting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I can't find the indie thread, but Crossed sure is a comic book by Garth Ennis
Yeah, it's just constantly... that forever. Give it a miss.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

Looks like possible arson turned into "multiple incindeary devices found" and man arrested later on. Nothing quite like finding out someone wanted to burn down your workplace really really badly. Anyway, how is everyone else doing?
I'm fine, thank you! Bit of trouble sleeping but it's okay.

I hope you are okay, it's definitely okay for you to feel feelings about what happened to you today and I hope you know that, and that you can talk to people about them if you can't handle them on your own and there's no shame in that either.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

John Byrne posted:

Personal prejudice: Hispanic and Latino women with blond hair look like hookers to me, no matter how clean or “cute” they are. Somehow those skin tones that look so good with dark, dark hair just don’t work for me with lighter shades.
Truly, the words of a man with no racial biases.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Soonmot posted:

I know a bunch of you played city of heroes, but for those of you that aren't following the Paragon chat thread, apparently, there's been a secret private server running the full game for the past six years.
I have no idea how to feel about this and will fall back to my default of laughing at the guys who Kickstartered a CoH successor whose industry experience was "we made an empty city to run around in in Unity, how much harder could an MMO be".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

From what I understand, it's super private and you can't get in.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

site posted:

I'm glad coh is coming back
What's this now?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's not a comic book convention, but GenCon makes everything else disappointing forever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Here comes the incredible...Thanos?
I realize it's just an ad, but I like the idea that you only get one shoe.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Get the gently caress outta here with those Batman nominations, though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

At least Wasp came back!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Is there a digital angle to this? My reader fits to width not height so vertical panels == scrolling
It's minor, but undoubtedly so. As nice as digital is, I will admit that you do lose the visual wham you get when turning the page and seeing all of a two-page splash at once.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Based on getting the article accepted for publication (and the other stuff I do, like teaching classes and chairing committees), our faculty voted to award me tenure earlier this year.
Thus making you the first person in recorded history to have their life improved by working with Daredevil. Congrats!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Covok posted:

Punisher kills the last Criminal on the planet. The world has, due the actions of everyone else but him, turned into that loving thing from Demolotion Man. Frank has to decide how he lives in this world without criminals and without the need of the Punisher.
Isn't that still just Demolition Man?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Turns out that Spider-Man books kinda have a bad rep for that, since there was at least one story during the BND period where it was implied that Chameleon-as-Peter had hooked up with one of Peter's love interests at that time (although they desperately backtracked when people rightfully called that poo poo out). And of course, the whole thing where Otto-as-Peter tried to hook up with MJ (he later settled for getting off to Peter's memories of being with MJ, which is...technically less creepy?), not to mention they again tried to downplay it when people pointed out that Otto-as-Peter was still doing sex crimes by pretending to be Peter, even if it was with somebody who never knew Peter.
Oh God, I remember both of those. At least with Otto-as-Peter, he backs off in literally the next issue because it's weird and creepy even by his standards, which means Slott at least saw that coming and was making Otto be creepy on purpose, since obviously with production time you can't react to fan backlash in just one issue.

The bit with Carlie was way worse, because he kept trying to defend it because Chameleon's deal at the time was he took over people's lives to try and improve them and make the decisions they should, but weren't brave enough to or whatever, and that both Peter and Carlie wanted to hook up and they ended up dating so it was all really okay and stop digging the goddamn hole, Slott.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

There is of course the time when Miller didn't censor himself at all and they just printed black censor boxes over fully typed-out harsh language... and the black boxes weren't the same shade of black as the typed out words were, so you could still read 'em. That was certainly a dumb thing that happened.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of, Scott Snyder is putting out his Black Label comic tomorrow. Hopefully we see Joker's decapitated head say "gently caress"
Wasn't the White Knight TPB Black Label? It was unchanged from the weeklies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Weird. Replacing his name with The Original Author meant those books were DOA to me, but I'm fortunate enough to have the Eclipse trades, at least for the Moore run. Is Gaiman's take any good?
It's really good and a thoughtful examination of everything Moore did.

And it. Is still. Unfinished!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Try to get a selfie with Spiderman, Daredevil or the Punisher!
Do not do this!

Midtown Comics is pretty cool and only two blocks away from Times Square, that's probably worth the walk.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

How's Empowered? I feel like I've been hearing about it forever, which is kind of a decent sign typically, but the plot and designs have me very, very skeeved out.
It is wonderful and charming, although the plot has recently been in a rut and spinning its wheels and there's warning signs that it's going to careen into classic Adam Warren kill-'em-all nihilism if it ever starts moving again.

That said, it stands exactly one micron off of the line of being actual softcore bondage porn, and it's entirely understandable that that's never going to be some people's cup of tea. For those who can handle that, though, you'll find a lot to love, not just in spite but because of it. Warren's inspiration for the series was that he does bondage porn commissions, and he kept drawing the same anonymous superheroine in them, and eventually he started to wonder just who this girl was and what could possibly drive her to keep going out and trying to be a superhero when she'd inevitably end up tied up and humiliated. And as it turns out, the answers to those questions are really interesting and have led to a unique story with great characters. Empowered wouldn't be half the comic book it is if it wasn't right on that line.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I want Dark Phoenix to be a good movie so bad, but I'm pretty sure it will be terrible.
Reviews have been "meh" across the board so far, which is honestly more disappointing. At least a fiasco would be going out on some kind of high note.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

site posted:

i have discovered there is an old game called freedom force where you control heroes to battle nazis and i hope its decent cuz im gonna play it
You're not gonna get your wish, it's way better than just "decent".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Immortal Hulk was robbed and Tom King simultaneously deserved it for Mister Miracle and should have been disqualified for Heroes in Crisis.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Happy 2020, BSS :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

You'd think there'd be enough real things to get mad about in the world today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'd kill for a From Hell with a letterer or computer typeface going back and redoing all the text. I have such a hard time reading that scraggly handwriting that I can never get into the god damned story.