Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The undead dragon is a glass cannon. We've seen time and time again that the zombies are more flammable than that box of oil soaked rags in your granddad's basement, so the first time it's hit by a volley of fire arrows, it goes up like your granddad's house after the accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The Night King is Syrio Forel.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh yeah, Ghost showing back up out of nowhere. I guess they cut the reunion for time or something?

What reunion? He was with Jon the whole time, just to the right of frame.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
That was definitely a game of throne.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

I don't remember the battle of the bastards actually being shown in the books, but then it's been almost a decade since I read it.

Right now I'm still hoping everyone dies and the ending leaves everyone mad.

It wasn't, I think he meant Blackwater.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Is there any reason other than possibly budget/writers suck that GoT seems to have forgotten that the wights are more flammable than California?

Used to be that they'd go up like they were doused in gasoline if you put a flame to 'em.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Bored As gently caress posted:

I just happen to have read a decent amount of military history, and I also love filmmaking and writing. With those combined interests, I see areas where, with better writing, they could have made the show better. They could have easily made some small changes here and there that would have made the battle more realistic, while also making it just as, if not more, suspenseful. Also, using lovely filmmaking techniques that amateur filmmaking Youtube video essayists know are bad is kind of unforgivable given HBO's budget and writing staff.

Whatever, I'm probably being insufferable, but I just wish they had a decent military historian consultant in the writers room.

Anyone who knows anything about military history knows that "cavalry does something loving stupid and gets wiped out" is historically accurate as it gets.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Would cutting Dr. Branhattan's arm off below the elbow and leaving it in some North-of-the-Wall backwoods have stopped the Night King from finding him? I feel like the previous Three Eyed Raven hosed up there. "Well, he knows where we are now. Let's not do anything about it, let's just try to cram your entire postgraduate education into your head in a couple hours. Side effects may include plotline death."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Clearly someone went to the Michel Ney School for Cavalry

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
You'd think someone with a queen would have known that.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I just started the second episode and I'm not really enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

beanieson posted:

Ho boy buckle up

Can't, the ride broke. Hulu stopped working.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
That was Drago, Drogo was Frodo's dad

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Can't wait for next season when Arya lands in Even Westeros.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Pod settling down would be a crime for all the westerosi women

Also Bran, you don’t need a master of whisperers lol.

Bran wants someone he can tell "no you're wrong" every Small Council meeting.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I have to rewind Edmure getting told to sit the gently caress down. I cannot stop laughing

*clang*

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Also since when does Jon carry around a sai?

You mean the dagger that's been in his belt since always?

Edit: A cursory Google search suggests he may have only been wearing it this season, but he's been wearing it consistently this season.

Second edit: Nope, found a picture of him wearing it while still in the Night's Watch. So apparently he's always had it.

McNally fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 20, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Uh, didn't the last three-eyed-raven live for a thousand loving years or something?

About 180 according to the ASOIF wiki.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Isn't Ed supposed to be like a really good guy (for a noble) and pretty big advocate for the commoners? Gonna be funny if they take off in power because a) everyone else is dead and b) the smallfolk are willing to do anything because they like him.

Pretty sure Edmure was a bumbling idiot nobody liked.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

In the context of throne gaming sure. But if he's the only dude who deliberately doesn't stomp on the peasantry they'll probably support him for no other reason than he's the only game in town.

He never had the chance to stomp on the peasantry. He became lord after his father died, made stupid battlefield decisions, then got captured at his wedding and spent a few years in a dungeon. His first decision when he was released was to roll over and surrender Riverrun to the Freys.

I think the peasantry would view him as weak and ineffectual as opposed to "someone who hasn't mistreated us."

Proud Christian Mom posted:

didn't he basically spend the last 5 years under house arrest, or did he get out from the Freys after they got Arya'd

Jaime Lannister let him out so he could surrender Riverrun, not sure what happened to him after that though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

The better to not stomp us with, obviously

Weak and ineffectual leads to someone else coming in and taking over, so not really.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sometimes sure but not necessarily

Edmure being a goober was exactly why Walder Frey felt comfortable pulling off the Red Wedding.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

You had ONE JOB, TARLY

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah I know, but they had to keep up the illusion until the Unsullied left, otherwise they'd all be killed by a bunch of dickless psychopathic supersoldiers.

Were they, though? I thought we constantly saw them getting clowned on. They were basically Worf. I mean, yeah, in theory they're imposing and nigh-unstoppable. But for plot reasons, they have to fall over like dominos.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Several of the noble houses were broken up. We're left with the Starks, the Greyjoys, the Arryns, and sort of the Lannisters (but their position is so fundamentally changed that I don't think they count). The others were secondary houses that have moved up to fill the voids left by the destruction of the older houses, or new ones altogether. The Martells, Baratheons, Tyrells, and probably more were extinguished.

Let's check the Seven Kingdoms and figure out which houses that were ruling them at the start are still there.

The North - House Stark. Still there.
The Westerlands - House Lannister. Still there.
The Vale of Arryn - House Arryn. Still there.
The Iron Islands - House Greyjoy. Still there.
The Stormlands - House Baratheon. Still there, thanks to Gendry.
The Reach - House Tyrell. Nope, they're gone.
Dorne - House Martell. ???

On top of that are the Riverlands, which is kind of its own thing, was ruled by House Tully. Also still there.

So one, maybe two, of the great houses are gone.

McNally fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 22, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Bah, nevermind.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Smiling Jack posted:

I have vague memories of some pet island thread from hell about this

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

yeah, that's what i was referencing

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090725

Such a rollercoaster

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Uomri za sovetskij soiuz, tovarisch

The preferred romanization of the Russian word for "union" is soyuz.

I thought you of all people would know that, space nerd.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

i believe the woman named olga that gave me that translation over you, mcnally

There's the official romanization method and then there's phonetic spelling used by native speakers. I'm not saying Olga is wrong and I'm right, I'm just busting your balls.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

bust away mcnally, i will forever take pride in the fact that i have balls to be busted, unlike John Ratcliffe (R-TX) who has none to bust, because he is a coward that runs away from widows very eunuchally

:golfclap:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I ruined the joke with my post

A common theme, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Bored As gently caress posted:

That is something someone with schizophrenia would say. She seriously no-bullshit, absolutely needs help.

Well, good news: She's running for president!