Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
More main characters should have died.

If I'm being honest I wanted the wights to win but that all of the people killed were orbital characters seems a bit light for GoT. I guess Daenerys losing her army is pretty big but I expected the long night to be a bit more dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
having either Varys, Tyrion, Jon or Arya die would've been pretty good IMO. Arya dying in her effort to kill the Night King could've had some interesting god of death plot stuff in it.

For a second I thought everyone at winterfell was gonna die which also would've been pretty sweet imo

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The wights should have won!

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 1, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Best Friends posted:

They keep showing Jon be a terrible leader but telling us he's great. Just like they keep showing us Dany being a psycho willing to do any cruelty to commoners for power but telling us she's kind and just.

Nothing Cersei has done is as evil as dropping 50k dothraki on westeros but I don't think the ethical implication of that got mentioned once.

Basically there is a divergence in what they show and what they describe in a weird way.

Uh Cersei has ordered a bunch of murders, prolonged a couple wars, blew up a religious institution, was stockpiling an incredibly volatile substance under Kings Landing which put the entire city in peril, and has a loving zombie bodyguard. She also killed her husband and has plotted to kill her remaining siblings. She also regularly bangs members of her family for whatever reason.

Dany is fighting a war of reclamation against a country that has already torn itself apart fighting one another. I don't think her position is any more morally suspect than any of the individuals who declared themselves king.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Best Friends posted:

how many murders and rapes are 50,000 dothraki doing every day? They're just not on camera. How many more peasants are getting eaten by her unchained dragons? The camera shows us very little of Danny's cruelty, but it's on a massive scale and she doesn't care.

Pretty sure those are the norm for these armies given that Gregor Clegane was commanding forces for a while and he is a real rape enthusiast (tm)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

holocaust bloopers posted:

Arya is going to attempt an assassination on Cersei. The Mountain will kill her. The Hound will then have more motivation to ice his brother.

Zombie Clegane has been shown to be many things but light on his feet he is not. If they write him teleporting to grab Arya from the shadows I'm gonna feel pretty disappointed.

Maybe not the right thread for it but that Chernobyl show is pretty terrifying, particularly if you've done any reading about the incident. Managed to convey how completely hosed most of the people there are.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm so stoked for watching the first episode tonight.

I never really had a huge historic interest in Chernobyl, outside of remembering that my family wouldn't eat mushrooms or a whole bunch of produce types for like 7 years, but once I started playing Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl, and the whole science-fiction/mystery element behind it, I suddenly gained a shitton of interest in the incident and gobbled up a ton of books and every documentary I could get my hands on.

Was hyped when I watched the trailer, and I'm really curious to see if they manage to capture the creeping dread that surrounded basically every step of the way. I didn't read up on the series itself to keep more to the element of surprise, but I hope they cover the actions and fate of the biorobots/liquidators.

The atmosphere reminds me quite a bit of "The Terror" so yeah I think they nailed the creeping sense of dread and doom that responding to a meltdown of that magnitude would likely cause.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yo sup my name is Dany and I can’t quite figure out whether the one thing that I have that no one else does that reigns fire and death on everything is better used as a strategic weapon to be selectively employed as so to maximize its survivability and effectiveness against the enemy or as a reconnaissance asset that I myself will personally use. On a completely unrelated note, I have no idea why I’ve lost 2/3 of these assets in recent weeks.

100% this.

I don't think she anticipated that they'd develop precision Sea to Air defense systems that can take out dragons all of a sudden

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Bran is gonna turn into nightking 2.0 and destroy westeros after Cersei defends the iron throne

Bet

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Looking back at older seasons it does seem like they spent more in CGI to make the battles denser / more interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if they blew their nut on season 6 and have been coasting since

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I watched it with some nukes and had to remind them that yes, this is roughly what happened and people really did gently caress up that badly because they were in constant disbelief.

Sounds like those dink rear end nubs didn't read their nuclear accident reports during power school.

I've been watching it and I'm seeing why certain rules and practices exist. They were probably learned from this incident and adopted into regular nuclear operating standards.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

My understanding of the event is they straight up ignored a lot of best practices and underreported the severity of the situation at almost all stages of the immediate response.

Guess we'll get to see what the level of institutional knowledge is once they call in the investigators to figure out what happened.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Chernobyl looks good. I was curious how historically accurate it is, and if it carries some anti-nuclear undertone

So far it seems pretty true to the information that has been released publicly about the incident. The first episode certainly didn't have any anti-nuclear rhetoric associated with it but given how the situation was handled I wouldn't be surprised if some people read anti-nuclear sentiment from the show.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Well that’s good to know at least. Trust me I’m happy for a big production on it all but cannot help but think it pushes the layman back on being pro-nuclear a bit

Nuclear is loving dead so who cares. At least in the states it is

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
gently caress GRRM for handing the series he was too lazy to finish off to a company that is too lazy to finish it right.

The wights should have won

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is how he planned the finish, though. Although some things shifted slightly, D&D made GRRM give them the rest of the major plotpoints he had planned.

There are a lot of things from earlier seasons that foreshadow everything that has happened. Bran saw the lone dragon over king’s landing in season 4, for example.

These events could probably due with some narrative framing instead of each of them occurring back to back to back

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
What could the overarching theme of GoT be? War is bad? The weak will.be punished? Don't gently caress with Casterly rock? Cercei's oval office destroyed westeros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Goddamn Chernobyl is brutal