Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Having a great time with this after picking it up last night. Just got up to maybe the first or second miniboss, the lad you meet after getting the shurikens and there's a big chicken around there. Messed up my first fight after the perilous attack warning I was so focussed on the "correct" choice I forgot that mainly mattered just when the symbol came up. Second time the chicken had hurt me pretty badly and I'd used my gourd beforehand but ended up winning due to resurrection. Just focussed on deflects and dodging not jumping so much and being pretty aggressive. The traversal is so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Crows are the scariest enemy in Bloodborne also

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna play this when christmas holidaays start this weekend and I wrap up DS

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

Can I really deflect such poewrful attacks...

Reminds me of Revengance lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The first kanji lad says jump sweeps back off from grabs and parry the third.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I guess only DS got sequels but hhas Miyazaki and his lads ever not been the team on the first in a series?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Can you win Grnnichiro first time you meet him?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fought the Chain Ogre one time and saw now and then the option to grapple his back but never landed it.

Then I thought I’d drop off that bell some lady gave me as a quick errand and I spent the past few hours in a memory lol.

Took ages to get passed Enshin the shining Hunter. He wasn’t too bad once I calmed down and realised Mikiri counter was O not L1. Main issue was clearing out the guys with him.

Found a secret area just after him with a purple guy who killed me twice now but at least is alone.

Also took me an embarrassing long time to realise the axe was right by me and not after the first shield guys. Glad I’ll have fire for chain ogre now

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’m trying to ignore the dragon rot items and just try my best each run

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Should I worry about dying tonnes on my first play through?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Had my head kicked in by this dude in purple like 100 times, he takes so much of my health in one hit and has all these insane kicks. Came super close to guardbreaking a few times but no luck.

Had my head kicked in by the big drunk fat lad too and he’s surrounded by annoying enemies so gonna head back and fight the chain ogre as I’ve a fire arm and he only kicked my head in once.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chain Ogre was way easier than those other two fights, took a good few goes but really fast to retry and made good progress each time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Simply trying to take a nice walk after beating a general when a giant snake appeared. Not good!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gyobu was a fun fight. I died against him maybe 9 times lol but absolutely crushed him when I won taking close to no damage. Only had 3 or 4 permadeath outside of that. Realised that using my res to escape and return to an idol makes far more sense than seeing it as a second go on a minibus etc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought he was tricky enough yeah

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Bet you took a lot of goes on the minibus in school.

I've just seen my error...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lady Butterfly was cool. Took maybe 20 goes to get her but ended up liking the fight quite a lot. Her illusion attack sucked a lot though because I wasted my one snapseed. Then when I went to find more I found they're not that good anyway. The attack itself isn't that bad but I had her on near full posture break then by the time that attack ended it had dropped to 0 again, so that's what sent me out to find some more seeds. Also not a fan of the random projectiles she attacks with randomly throughout. Overall though a fun fight and a cool arena and music.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

herculon posted:

Got him. Imp Zone magic works again

:hai:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

beating the super fast minibus in Ashina Castle only using perfect deflects on his insanely fast draw is so cool, had a tonne of fun with that fight and right by an idol so It was great. the standard enemies leading to him were a lot of fun too.

Didn't expect to have to fight Genichiro already man...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thank you fellow samurai. My pal who beats all the From games said there are a bunch of paths to exhaust other than him atm that I might do. Not gonna do another boss from him to power up, thankfully grinding not possible in sekiro. But wanna see what else is around before ending his life. Need to find the information for that merchant so I can get more items from him too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I started it twice before but dropped it. Not because it was bad just in a gaming funk last year so would start and switch stuff a lot. Furthest I got before this was to Juzou in Hirata and the general just after Ogre but before Gyoubu

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also last times I played the games I beat the first general on first or second goes and this time took like ten lol because I was practicing deflecting as much as I could and spent a good while with habeni after. So I ended up beating the Shinobi hunter in Hirata first go when he took me like 20 plus last time and easily mikiris on him. So having a lot more fun this time after making sure not to brute stuff in early game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ya that’s true but I have a bunch of passives already so don’t intend to try power up before facing him or anything. My pal warned me stuff can change after him so wanna exhaust other stuff

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beat the purple ninja in the well where you start the game. IMO the definite from experience is losing all of a sudden to something super unfair on an amazing run with perfect play and then you end up winning on the most dogshit run possible

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

basically cleared all the paths other than Gen for now I think. Kongo temple was tricky but got through without dying ftw, or at least to the free gourd seed and old lady who wanted rice. Gonna take on the spear gun shinobi after Gen because they have crazy high hp and posture damage won't stick at all and I do too little vit damage per hit. Just gotta make sure I have all NPC quests advanced after curing dragon rot before gen blasts me to high heaven

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also really enjoyed the chance to play Patches with those surgeons in the dungeon

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

insanely pumped I beat Genichiro on my fourth try and just trying to calm myself during the cutscene after... no pls sir

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got mastery of his first 2 phases (one phase really) after a few enough tries but totally agree that he's when it all clicked. Like multi-deflects and attacking till you get deflected to then deflect etc. all started to just really come together so naturally on those phases. His third phase took me maybe ten tries which is on me as it's pretty short but his lightning owned me so much. The reversal is conveyed insanely badly in the game so after googling it I was able to get a reversal on him reliably and then it rules. Maybe my fave from boss fight to date.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LB's mooks end up not being too bad imo but it stupid that if you have a snapseed they're not a concern but you're likely to totally waste the one inouske gave you. I ddi anyway as soon as her first phase ended thought it was like a fools idol deal

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The dude you have to deathblow out a window in the temple was great. Got it totally by fluke on my forth deathblow. Had tried armour stripping him assuming I had finally found someone it worked on but nope lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

but the only ones of those I've met are basically naked lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My friend told me I had missed the poison dagger between the two castle idols and had to watch in agony as I ran through the whole tower smashing every folding screen and paper door completely missing the large glowing grapple point on screen at all times for like 20 minutes

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Folding Monkeys is the best puzzle boss the series has ever done. The final one magnifique. Lol that they give a power upgrade over so many other minibuses

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The random miniboss with the gun spear in the mandatory fromsoft poison swamp area is easily the hardest boss in the game. I hate the area and them so much

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I hate that miniboss and I’m not afraid to say I cheesed it with poison

I find her frustrating because I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do yet. Every other miniboss or boss I feel I'd have their pattern down and just be failing to get it for long enough to win but with her haven't a clue. Haven't really dodge and counterattacked much which I think LB is supposed to teach you. Her posture drops instantly and hard to get vitality damage on her so my plan is to try dodge counters like LB. For LB I mainly knew two or three of her attacks I could safely dodge counter but haven't found that for Snake Eyes. Her arena sucks too and a bunch of it prevents dodging because of slight hard to see changes in plane. yarg!!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the snake eyes minibosses are incredibly hard lol, especially that 2nd one. Bad rear end bitches fr.

she's the first one I've met... pls no more :negative:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I could never really figure out the proper timing for any of her attacks. I’d just get domed repeatedly.

Same tbh o can deflect her for ages but it gets me nowhere. And she has the single nastiest grab in the game. It comes out super slow but catches tou really early in it. I will defeat this powerful woman!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I found a route that o stealth one orb off her on my last try befor bed. After that though I’m not sure. Trying not to cheese any enemies lol bough backstabbing is a noble shinobi move.

I think rushing her down when she moves back to fire might work to get at her health before being able to deflect her. She takes a while to shoot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also after sharing a few cans with isshin he told me about Tomoe so hoping I get to fight her too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Being able with o retry main story bosses to mastery is cool as hell but would love to have to been able try a bunch of mini bosses too