Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Started this a few days ago and Genichiro is kicking my rear end. My master is just off to the side like :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm on Great Shinobi Owl and even whittling his first health bar down halfway feels like a big accomplishment. Ichimonji Double has been one of my favorite combat arts and it works so well against him when you have an opening. I think Lady Butterfly, Owl, and especially Genichiro are some of the best bosses From has ever done.

Just beat him. Definitely one of the best fights in the game.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 7, 2019

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Corrupted Monk fight was an awesome way of showing how good you've gotten at the combat. You can wreck her first phase with nothing but posture damage. I really hope they make DLC for this.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

star eater posted:

wait til owl 2 :getin:

Yeah, thought I was doing good because I got to where I could get through his first death blow only using one or two gourds. Then he busted out the Nioh guardian spirit and it was all over

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Demon of Hatred is giving me Laurence flashbacks. He's almost giving me more trouble than Owl. The Owl rematch is the perfect duel bossfight then you get this massive curveball with a Bloodborne boss at the end

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 11, 2019

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vengarl's helm ftw

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I must have died to Sword Saint 150 times and I beat him on my "gently caress it, one more before bed" attempt.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pulcinella posted:

I think the stealth elements are almost vestigial. It’s really bizarre. Ashina outskirts has a whole set of alternate stealth paths, plus plenty of bushes and ways of hiding on the main path. Then after that most of the stealth disappears, consists of a bunch of tall buildings for you to straight up avoid enemies, or has enemies spaced far apart with very wide paths allowing you to just walk around enemies. There is very little stealthing through levels. It’s mostly just to get a few easy deathblows/instakills.

I don’t think I used the clay shards more than once or twice.

I was hoping the stealth would have been more central to the game but the combat is so fun it didn't matter. You can get stealth deathblows on a lot of the minibosses which is nice but yeah the game kinda drops it after Ashina Outskirts.

I really want Sekiro DLC where you play as young Monkey and fight Kingfisher, Tomoe, and a younger Isshin.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The amazing thing about Sekiro bosses is they congratulate you when you beat them. FromSoft bosses always taunt you when you die, but having Owl or Lady Butterfly talk about how proud they are that you whipped their rear end makes them the best From bosses. The only other boss that comes close is doing a no-damage run on Sir Alonne in DS2

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

star eater posted:

i never felt as satisfied learning and defeating bosses in any of the other games than i did in sekiro, but bloodborne is still my goat for overall presentation

Same. I went into Bloodborne almost blind and by the time the Hypogean Goal happened the game had its hooks in me so deep. On the other hand it's hard for me to even rank Soulsborne games because they're like Metal Gear Solid in that every installment does some things uniquely or better than all the others.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

imo be aggressive as gently caress. He doesn't have much stamina at all, don't give him a chance to breathe and the fight will be over very quickly (one way or another). Man, what a great boss...

Yeah, this is the key to most bosses in the game and it took me way too long to learn it. Most of Isshin's perilous attacks are ones you can mikiri counter. If you stay in close you can bait him into those attacks and wear down his posture. And if he pulls out the gun he will always do an attack that can be mikiri countered if you deflect all four bullets

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

net cafe scandal posted:

You can deflect any attack that doesnt have a red kanji if you time it right, right? Juzou is scaring me... Can I really deflect such poewrful attacks...

I'm pretty sure you can deflect red kanji/perilous attacks if they're sweeps or thrusts but you have to time those just right. I don't think you can deflect perilous grab attacks though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

The Clowner posted:

Never beat father owl the first time around. Man what a fight. I'm glad I never did that bosses area my first playthrough, it's almost like a mini dlc. A little gift from past me

You know poo poo gets real with this boss when he mikiri counters you

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Boss rush and new outfits? Hell yes

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

goferchan posted:

Fighting Owl for the first time........ him listing out the rules of the Iron Code every time you go down is so loving epic

Owl is probably the best boss they've ever done imo. He uses your own moveset against you and feints attacks so it feels like you're on equal footing.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Genichiro is when I went from being lukewarm on the game to loving it. I watched all the Toho Lone Wolf and Cub movies recently and that stuff puts you in a Sekiro mood like nothing else

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Man with Hat posted:

This made me wonder, which boss is the worst in Sekiro?

Demon of Hate feels more like a Bloodborne boss but I still love it. Probably Butterfly is the worst for me since her ghosts are just annoying and lovely

For me it's The Twin Apes because of how tedious it is. Demon of Hatred is at least mostly a fair boss even if it's like Laurence on steroids.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Sabimaru and Mist Raven are insanely cool and OP and I only discovered that on my recent playthroughs

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The thing about the Snake Eyes bosses is to just get up in their face immediately and spam fire axe attacks at them nonstop, especially if you've unlocked the following strike attacks. The fight is over in 10 seconds that way, but if you try to be deliberate and wait for openings they'll wreck you every time

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
A good trick for GA's first phase is to burn him. I think most beast-type enemies in the game take extra damage to fire. It's one of the only times I use oil in the game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Having done all the gauntlets I would say wait until you get a PS5 to do them because yeah the load times between attempts are brutal

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

This rules

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I love how the music gets more foreboding and intense when you're down to one monkey

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
imo the final bosses of the Shura ending should have been flipped in terms of the order you fight them and the amount of deathblows they have

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Leadthumb posted:

You also passively get so good at killing genichiro that you can absolutely whoop the poo poo out of him on ng+, it feels so badass. You just annihilate him lmao.

The game expects you to beat him without getting hit and by this point you do and it rules. Everybody should do a charmless run at least once because getting a bunch of perfect parries against Genichiro and SS feels amazing

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Can you imagine prequel DLC where we played as Orangutan in his prime and had Kingfisher and Tomoe as bosses? I need it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The progression with Genichiro is so good. The first fight he wrecks you, the second fight is likely to be a serious wall, and the last fight you're expected to obliterate him without taking any damage and most of the time you're able to do it. I really hope FromSoft keeps going with Vergil-style rival bosses because it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I love her four-hit combo where your camera loses lock-on if you don't deflect it correctly. Wish she'd gotten a second phase or an Inner version