Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Someone that read the comics..

Is Widowmaker from Overwatch cannon or ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Movie was alright. The best part was the midcredits scene when Chris Evans showed up on screen and a woman in complete earnest yelled "It's her father!"

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Good lord, de-aging technology has gotten scary good. It was completely indistinguishable on Jackson. A couple shots on Gregg looked a bit wonky though.

That's my main takeaway. Movie was pretty good. Nothing special.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Wait, they do that? Jesus wept. I thought it was bad when I recently discovered that if someone owns two dogs, you need to buy two bones because they evidently don't like sharing.

(I know it's off-topic, sorry, I'm just learning a lot here and I am, as the kids say, shook)

Yeah, it's a perfect recreation of a cat spitting up a hairball. When it happens you just sorta have to uncomfortably watch your beloved pet gag and hope that it doesn't make too big a mess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

fishing with the fam posted:

Good lord, de-aging technology has gotten scary good. It was completely indistinguishable on Jackson. A couple shots on Gregg looked a bit wonky though.

That's my main takeaway. Movie was pretty good. Nothing special.

It was Lola VFX, they did all the de-aging in other Marvel movies like young Robert Downey Jr in Winter Soldier.

Star Wars thought they could do just as good in house with ILM and that’s how we got Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One.

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
"I wish I had this kind of movie when I was a kid. Also it made me feel like a kid and I loved all the music and I felt like I could kick a million asses."

-Mildly Drunk Friend that I saw the Film With

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Redjakk posted:

"I wish I had this kind of movie when I was a kid. Also it made me feel like a kid and I loved all the music and I felt like I could kick a million asses."

-Mildly Drunk Friend that I saw the Film With

I feel like your friend needs to go watch Blade, or roll back to the beginning of the 90s and rewatch Terminator 2

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bedshaped posted:

you're in the CIA?

Don't tell anyone.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I overall really liked the movie. I thought it was fun and good and if I didn't have a baby to find a sitter for, I'd definitely go see it again.

However, couple of minor gripes...
- Having Just A Girl as the final fight track was lame. Like, I get it (girl power!), but Prodigy's Firestarter and about a million other perfect songs were just sitting there.
- Film set in LA in 1995 and not a single culturally relevant reference to anything that actually happened from 1993-95, that I noticed. OJ Trial? West Coast/East Coast bullshit? Instead we just got a Buzzfeed-esque "remember this?!" with CD ROMs, Blockbuster Video, dial-up internet and pay phones, among a few other things.
- Would have liked for Korrath to have a teeny tiny bit more to do.
- Carol "Avenger" Danvers was the only thing I literally groaned about in the film. That was a "Martha?" moment if there ever was one in the MCU.

Now on to the things I really liked...
- The flerken/cat! Total scene stealer. When it unleashed near the end, I laughed so much. That was awesome.
- I LOVED that the Skrull/Kree conflict wasn't as cut and dry obvious as it came across in the trailers.
- Speaking of the intergalactic conflict, I appreciated that the movie didn't get bogged down with that and the film kept its focus on everyone it needed to.
- I know Carol was overpowered to the point of removing tension at the end of the movie, but I kind of liked that it wasn't drug out and belabored and enjoyed just watching her go full Binary at the end. I just hope they don't inexplicably de-power her for Endgame just to engineer tension
- I like all the little changes to the lore from the comics. I thought it all worked well.

Not a spoiler, but I didn't realize until I walked out of the theater that I never once thought about or questioned the de-aging with Fury and Coulson. It was THAT good.

EDIT: Since Carol and Maria's relationship has been debated, I never once felt like they were romantically involved. Just super close and competitive kindred spirits. Maybe I'll feel differently on re-watch, but sometimes friends are just friends. I think with any two characters in a film with good chemistry, you can parse whatever subtext you want out of their relationship. I don't think there was anything in the final product to support a theory of them being an actual couple.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 9, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Do they at least have Fury on a payphone talking to his cousin Jules?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Steve Yun posted:

It was Lola VFX, they did all the de-aging in other Marvel movies like young Robert Downey Jr in Winter Soldier.

Star Wars thought they could do just as good in house with ILM and that’s how we got Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One.

Those two situations aren't comparable at all. Smoothing an existing actors wrinkles is much easier than essentially whole-cloth creating a human via CGI.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ammanas posted:

Those two situations aren't comparable at all. Smoothing an existing actors wrinkles is much easier than essentially whole-cloth creating a human via CGI.

Eh I'd argue that 17 year old RDJ in Civil War was as close to 100% CGI as you can get. That wasn't smoothing wrinkles, it was a child version of a middle aged actor.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oQ0E3OkaIk

Still amazing

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Overall the special effects on Samuel Jackson de aging were real good but there was one specific scene where he was in the elevator with someone and holy poo poo was that loving terrible and obvious. He looked SOOOooooooooooo bad.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I have zero familiarity with the comics but I thought the supreme intelligence was an interesting take on the ai trope. Instead of just wiping out all life a la terminator or ruthlessly exploiting like the matrix it’s more of a paternalistic, symbiotic, upper level management kind of AI.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Question about a certain mac guffin that shows up in this how did Mar-Vel end up with the tessaract, wouldn't it be at the bottom of the sea with the other captain at this point?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Avalerion posted:

Question about a certain mac guffin that shows up in this how did Mar-Vel end up with the tessaract, wouldn't it be at the bottom of the sea with the other captain at this point?

Howard Stark picked it up off the sea floor soon after

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Howard Stark picked it up off the sea floor soon after

That raises more questions I guess

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Have to say that the Stan Lee cameo, practising his dialogue for Mallrats was my favourite of all the films so far.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

As Nero Danced posted:

Do they at least have Fury on a payphone talking to his cousin Jules?

"you know that new sound you've been looking for? Listen to THIS! < 'Just a Girl' plays louder > "

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

smoobles posted:

That raises more questions I guess

the early version of Shield got it, and they probably had it stored at Pegasus for future testing, which is how Mar-Vell got it and started using it to build her engine.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
So if Carol's powers came from the tesseract, she's not gonna have any post-snap, right?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

the early version of Shield got it, and they probably had it stored at Pegasus for future testing, which is how Mar-Vell got it and started using it to build her engine.

But if sheild has the tesseract they also have Steve? Or I guess it could just have taken them a long time to resurrect him?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mymla posted:

So if Carol's powers came from the tesseract, she's not gonna have any post-snap, right?

This depends entirely on how the writers feel. There are no rules for them to follow regarding space magic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Avalerion posted:

But if sheild has the tesseract they also have Steve? Or I guess it could just have taken them a long time to resurrect him?

In First Avenger the tesseract burned through the plane and into the ocean way before cap crashed. It was no where near him.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I guess they'll need to do another season of Agent Carter to explain everything that happened with it.

Please please please please please please

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Good thing to come from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/getfandom/status/1104448726557319168?s=21

https://twitter.com/dayrhyme/status/1104366293048676352?s=21

https://twitter.com/moira_hawthorne/status/1104457120823590913?s=21

https://twitter.com/24frames_uk/status/1104445811436544003?s=21

https://twitter.com/georgia_heapyx/status/1104477769197649920?s=21

https://twitter.com/nnoj8/status/1104460264856936449?s=21

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2019

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

ookiimarukochan posted:

Have to say that the Stan Lee cameo, practising his dialogue for Mallrats was my favourite of all the films so far.

Holy poo poo... now that's a deep cut and I love it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'll make is very simple and clear: Captain Marvel is really worth a watch. it's just entertaining and visually impressive, exactly what it was meant to be.

Just keep this in mind that it's an origin story so don't go looking for an overstuffed complex story. it's just a fun action movie that intro..
More

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I'll make is very simple and clear: Captain Marvel is really worth a watch. it's just entertaining and visually impressive, exactly what it was meant to be.

Just keep this in mind that it's an origin story so don't go looking for an overstuffed complex story. it's just a fun action movie that intro..
More

C/p’d from Letterboxd or elaborate joke?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Decided to go see this earlier on a whim. I've been spoiled by Fury Road and Alita since I've watched both films a lot in the past month because I found this movie to be wholly unremarkable in every aspect by comparison.

Captain Marvel is not a bad movie, but it's just a movie; very much feels like the apex of the MCU formula, the ultimate display of a film that is inoffensive, harmless, milquetoast, vanilla, etc. The story and everyone involved comes across as an exercise in just going through the motions leading up to Endgame really. Nothing ambitious or compelling about this film at all. Brie Larson was alright, but as with everything else in movie, there was nothing really standout about her performance, or the character. She's just there, just like this movie existing. Sam Jackson was fine; de-aging tech looked good, but the film should make me care more about his character than being amazed by the de-aging tech; almost nothing interesting is done with his character. Again, he's just there.

My only real takeaways from this film were Ben Mendelsohn as Talos chewing up the scenery and the moment when Jude Law tries to save face and Carol just blasts him away. Other than that, yeah. Pretty unremarkable overall.

As far as romantic undertones regarding Carol and Maria's relationship that were up for debate earlier, yeah, I didn't pick up on any of that all personally.

[edit] Also, this is right up there with Black Panther in having the most boring and uninspired set pieces in a big blockbuster film.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 10, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Seems everyone liked Jude Law’s speech but the punchline was so predictable. It was such a Joss Whedon thing to do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Steve Yun posted:

Seems everyone liked Jude Law’s speech but the punchline was so predictable. It was such a Joss Whedon thing to do.

Jude Law sells it hard, that's what I liked it about it most.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
I got vibes of Indiana Jones bringing a gun to a swordfight there - very predictable, but still satisfying.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

You know with some tweaks this would be a pretty neat Green Lantern film.

Anyway.

I suspected already that I was starting to get burnt out on Marvel stuff and this movie confirmed it for me. Although there were a few nice wrinkles here and there such as the nature of the Kree/Skrull war I think I would have liked the movie more if it divorced itself from the Standard Marvel Hero Origin Story stuff. The film feels very much like an artificial product spawned by someone throwing "woman, 90s, space-laser hands, mysterious past" into a giant Marvel supercomputer that goes through and replaces the madlibs in the standard script as needed.

Some of the dialogue was clunky, but Larson and Jackson have a fantastic dynamic together and I genuinely loved their buddy-cop friendship. The "I won't tell your boss if you don't tell mine" scene in the jet particularly stands out as a moment of genuine warmth, respect and friendship. The stuff about Fury's eye injury was cute, but I almost wish they kept swerving it all through the movie like they do with the first car-crash one. "How's your eye?" "Fine.". The CG for making Jackson look younger is extremely well done and avoids the weird plastic-face or horrible-uncanny-valley effect that some other attempts in cinema to de-age people have resulted in.

I really liked Brie Larson's performance and think it carries the movie, a less charismatic actor as Carol would have left me feeling much, much colder on the film. She brings a really great warmth and humour to the role - and by humour I don't mean the occasional jokey zingers (as a side-note I don't think they're "Whedon-esque" as I don't feel like they serve to cheapen emotional moments and there are moments where characters are capable of responding with sentiments other than snark) but the little smile she does when she's winding people up. Also seeing how delighted she is to be in the thick of things and utilising her powers is an incredibly refreshing change - there's the requisite superhero movie angst over, in this case, lost memories but it feels like it's dealt with smoothly as part of the story rather than being the foundation of the character and a well that they're going to go back to again and again. For the most part, Carol is confident, outgoing, energetic and capable and Larson capably sells that mix of excitement and joy.

Goose is an Extremely Good Cat.

Overall, it's fine - I'd still comfortably put it in the top third of MCU stuff, but mostly for Larson - because the movie doesn't take any real risks the worst sin it commits is being bland. I hope she has a decent role in Endgame, particularly with Thor and the Guardians to represent that "cosmic" area of Marvel.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My girlfriend asked if she was going to be out of the loop if she saw Endgame by missing this.

lol.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fart City posted:

My girlfriend asked if she was going to be out of the loop if she saw Endgame by missing this.

lol.

I mean probably not.

All you need to know is Captain Marvel is a super powerful space warrior. Done.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I do hope Rambo and Annoying Kid are never heard from again.

Teik
Mar 2, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
a WOMAN superhero? Well now I’ve seen it all

-some guy in South Carolina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

Hmm. No.

There’s something about people being close friends that tends to be misconstrued to them being in love. Which yes it’s a love, but in a different way.

I wouldn’t have minded one bit if they were in love. That’s fine! But I, personally, didn’t see that element in this film.

Uh I think it was pretty obvious that Sam and Frodo were lovers. Luckily this was confirmed in the ultra-extended edition of the Two Towers