Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did a dude just revive a thread to make weak attempts to counter some of my random posts

are threads on the first page considered dead now?

anyway yes I suppose your posts should be characterized as white noise, you're right, I'm sorry for hurting your feelings enough to prompt you to tell everyone about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It made the military of the past look like a sexist boys club. The entire subtext is that wow look how cool it is to be a fighter pilot and how honorable and cool fighter pilots are and its empowering that women now get to be fighter pilots unlike in the past.

Its condemning it's own past to make its present more appealing

Worth noting that this is the same play for the military that Captain Marvel makes for comic book films - Bree Larson goes back in time to the 90s to make sure that "Tank Girl" doesn't happen in either conceptual dimension.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Phylodox posted:

That’s ignoring context entirely. Flying a fighter plane in defence of harmless, bedraggled refugees against a monolithic military aggressor isn’t exactly in keeping with current US military policy.

I know this isn't what you mean, but it kinda seems like saying it can't be military proaganda because it depicts the military as being more heroic than they are irl, which made me smile.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crimpolioni posted:

I know this isn't what you mean, but it kinda seems like saying it can't be military proaganda because it depicts the military as being more heroic than they are irl, which made me smile.

I mean it isn't what he meant but I certainly do think its what he doesn't realize he is missing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

josh04 posted:

Worth noting that this is the same play for the military that Captain Marvel makes for comic book films - Bree Larson goes back in time to the 90s to make sure that "Tank Girl" doesn't happen in either conceptual dimension.

Not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The main character's life being a lie was interesting on paper, but I think it hurt her character development overall. It's hard to get much grasp on who someone is when they have no meaningful relationships at the start of the film, and what we eventually do get is a speech and flashbacks telling us what kind of person she used to be. We don't get much showing us who she is in the present.

Not to say that Marvel protagonists are usually the deepest characters ever, but we generally get at least a few scenes of them living their life and interacting with people so we can get some idea of who they are and how the course of the movie changed them.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The main character's life being a lie was interesting on paper, but I think it hurt her character development overall. It's hard to get much grasp on who someone is when they have no meaningful relationships at the start of the film, and what we eventually do get is a speech and flashbacks telling us what kind of person she used to be. We don't get much showing us who she is in the present.

Not to say that Marvel protagonists are usually the deepest characters ever, but we generally get at least a few scenes of them living their life and interacting with people so we can get some idea of who they are and how the course of the movie changed them.

yeah, it was an interesting idea for subverting the standard origin story arc, but it just didn't work that well in the execution, unfortunately

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah. I think Larson did a good job with what the story gave her, but it didn't quite fill the hole where lawson/marvell wasn't.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I saw this movie and thought the 2nd half was wayyy better than the first. Also I brought my daughters and when she told the dude "I don't need to impress you" at the end I wootled a little.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This was a pretty good video essay exploring militaristic messages in Marvel movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_iGLowp7A

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the messaging in Captain Marvel is very clever. Anti-intervention viewers are likely to see the Kree as a stand-in for the US military, but ultimately you have a war with a Good Side and a Bad Side and our hero decides to intervene with her overwhelming power to help out the Good Side. It's OK to blast these people with lasers or drop bombs on them from your plane - they're bad. It also does have a very empowering message, but that message is specifically about how empowering it is to become a military pilot. I agree that it's far more insidious than other Marvel films which merely whitewash the military.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

teagone posted:

This was a pretty good video essay exploring militaristic messages in Marvel movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_iGLowp7A

video is 100 percent right. exactly what i said about the winter soldier when it came out, which a lot of people refused to acknowledge.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

Quoted from pages back but I think this misreads the movie completely - like Phylodox said, she believes in herself 100% throughout the entire movie. Like, that was the whole point of the montage of memories during the last fight - they were all points in her life when she had been defeated (not just faced defeat; had actually been defeated) and she stood back up anyways for another round. It's basically the most explicitly feminist message of the movie.

Yeah she’s very confident and even above it all for so much of the movie. It felt very weird compared to the normal marvel heroes who are plagued with demons and fears. Her total lack of anxiety made her hard to connect with as a character

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ccs posted:

Yeah she’s very confident and even above it all for so much of the movie. It felt very weird compared to the normal marvel heroes who are plagued with demons and fears. Her total lack of anxiety made her hard to connect with as a character

"You've believed in yourself all your life, but none of the men in your life have and indeed they've been actively trying to pull you down your whole life" is a plot that resonates really well with many women.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Carol looked fabulous in Endgame btw.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the shorter cut was great.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

teagone posted:

Carol looked fabulous in Endgame btw.

:agreed:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

"You've believed in yourself all your life, but none of the men in your life have and indeed they've been actively trying to pull you down your whole life" is a plot that resonates really well with many women.
Sure, the plot works well enough. But I think it's at the expense of the central character who doesn't get much development throughout the whole movie.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Not at all; it contrasts perfectly with her present lived experience and really sets up the main conflict of the movie - her own battle with her memories and her concept of herself as a person. She has unshakable self-confidence, and yet she doesn't know if any of her own thoughts are actually real.

There are life situations when the only way ahead is through, and experiencing those situations and dealing with them can be emotionally brutal. I thought it was refreshing and inspiring to see a superhero face those situations head-on and push forward even while in the middle of failure and defeat. I mean, it really is a perfect superhero trait, more than being able to fly and punch holes in stuff.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Finally got around to seeing CM, and I thought it was overall pretty decent with enough cool moments to make it worth the ticket price, so pretty on par with most marvel origin stories.

Between the two films I'd say I agree that Wonder Woman is better overall, though I think CM's female empowerment and anti-imperialism beats landed a bit better. I have to disagree with the assertion that WW is explicitly anti-war, though. IIRC Trevor and crew were portrayed as unabashedly heroic individuals sacrificing their lives to fight proto-nazis, so if anything it was more anti-western cinematic boogeymen. It's been quite a while since I've seen it though so my memory could be failing me here.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Another poster in a different thread pointed out that there’s no second act low. Part of the reason Spiderverse is so effective is it has such a definitive second act low. But Carols emotions are all very clouded. Maybe she’s got internal angst but there’s no internal monologue so we only just see her facial expressions. Which never betray any real hurt that her life is a lie. She just gets pissed and pretty easily turns super saiyan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not every superhero needs to be angsty. I think Carol works well for "I have superpowers and it is loving AWESOME!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ccs wasn't advocating for angst...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Or more variety of emotion, basically. The contrast brings out the highs. It’s why “What’s Up Danger” sequence in Spiderverse hits so hard because it’s a moment of jubilation after the low.

I respect Captain Marvel for trying to make the mystery of her identity plot work but I felt that along with the lack of emotional range really hindered my enjoyment.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Not every superhero needs to be angsty. I think Carol works well for "I have superpowers and it is loving AWESOME!"
I'd be fine with a hero who just experiences pure joy from their powers. Or a hero who's filled with righteous anger at the injustice of the world. Or a hero who acts with a grim sense of duty. But I didn't really get any sense of why Carol fights in the movie. It's one thing that some kind of crisis often draws out - the hero has to work out what's really important to them or whatever.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Cythereal posted:

You got your Captain Marvels mixed up, you're describing Shazam

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Autism Sneaks posted:

You got your Captain Marvels mixed up, you're describing Shazam

Only one Captain Marvel has been making a habit of body slamming battleships from orbit with her face.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Cythereal posted:

Only one Captain Marvel has been making a habit of body slamming battleships from orbit with her face.

The Big Red Cheese doesn't need to do that in order to save the day.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He just hasn't had the chance to yet is all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally saw this and enjoyed it a lot. I think my only real issue with it was how "whelp" Nick losing his eye was. Like the way it happened was fine (and funny) just, like, he seemed so nonchalant about it when he thought it was just a scratch and it went from that to him cold losing an eye so fast. Knowing how gravely this effected him via his conversation with Captain America in Winter Soldier made it even funnier though. :3:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

Finally saw this and enjoyed it a lot. I think my only real issue with it was how "whelp" Nick losing his eye was. Like the way it happened was fine (and funny) just, like, he seemed so nonchalant about it when he thought it was just a scratch and it went from that to him cold losing an eye so fast. Knowing how gravely this effected him via his conversation with Captain America in Winter Soldier made it even funnier though. :3:

All I know is Goose had better show up again at some point in the future. Sam Jackson had about as much chemistry with that cat as he did with Brie Larson and Clark Gregg.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Wow this thread sucks.

I thought CM was a decent movie but her superpowers were really overpowered. It made me realize that the "hero barely surviving fight with villan and winning by their wits/determination at the end" was a trope I enjoy in this type of movie.

She just effortlessly destroys everything. I give it a 6/10, slightly better than Thor 2 but not amazing like CA3.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
According to the directors, one of the deleted scenes had Yon-Rogg paying a visit to the Supreme Intelligence, who appears as the person you admire most.

So who did YR see? Why, himself, of course!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hah, drat, that's actually pretty cool characterization.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

After watching End Game without watching CM, I had no idea what to think of her as I thought she came off like as kind of an rear end in a top hat at worst and just there at best. Aside from being rather OP until she wasn't vs. Thanos, I was pretty perplexed by the character's existence in the MCU. I was hoping her own movie would shed a lot more light on her.

I finally watched this and I can't say that I felt the movie did much more than Endgame for her character. It felt really lazy about important things like having a character arc and some kind of development for her. It would have been cool if she was more of an alien at the beginning and then regained her humanity or something. It would've been a pretty cool setup for a fish out of water story. Instead she was basically the same, snarky and sarcastic person throughout, with the only development being regaining her memories later and unlocking her full powers--nothing affecting her personality or character much in a narrative sense. Her sealed memories were basically a macguffin. They also could've done something with the fact that Yon-Rogg's blood is coursing through her veins.

Is this how she's written in her own comics?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I agree. I don't hate Captain Marvel the film but Captain Marvel character is poorly defined. That's an issue for a franchise that shoves all its characters into event movies and relies on you having an intuitive grasp of who they are.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

iamsosmrt posted:

I finally watched this and I can't say that I felt the movie did much more than Endgame for her character. It felt really lazy about important things like having a character arc and some kind of development for her. It would have been cool if she was more of an alien at the beginning and then regained her humanity or something. It would've been a pretty cool setup for a fish out of water story. Instead she was basically the same, snarky and sarcastic person throughout, with the only development being regaining her memories later and unlocking her full powers--nothing affecting her personality or character much in a narrative sense. Her sealed memories were basically a macguffin. They also could've done something with the fact that Yon-Rogg's blood is coursing through her veins.
I think that, given the story they were telling, leaning too hard into the "Carol is an amnesia victim" would have had unfortunate implications through the first half of the movie. You have to walk a fine line between Carol being internally victimized, and Carol being externally gaslit, and the movie, for good reason, wanted to fall on the latter side of the line. I liked the implication that while the Kree could take her specific memories away, they couldn't destroy her own sense of self; she always knew who she was, it's just that the world was telling her she was something else.

quote:

Is this how she's written in her own comics?
Extremely inconsistently.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I think that, given the story they were telling, leaning too hard into the "Carol is an amnesia victim" would have had unfortunate implications through the first half of the movie. You have to walk a fine line between Carol being internally victimized, and Carol being externally gaslit, and the movie, for good reason, wanted to fall on the latter side of the line. I liked the implication that while the Kree could take her specific memories away, they couldn't destroy her own sense of self; she always knew who she was, it's just that the world was telling her she was something else.

Extremely inconsistently.

I'm not sure I get what you mean about the unfortunate implications and issues with her being internally victimized. In a way, I wish she appeared more vulnerable so I could relate with her more as a person.

I agree. I don't hate Captain Marvel the film but Captain Marvel character is poorly defined. That's an issue for a franchise that shoves all its characters into event movies and relies on you having an intuitive grasp of who they are.

Yeah if I had to try to best positively summarize her characterization, it'd be something fairly shallow like "tough, unflappable, sarcastic woman with 'tude who has the strongest powers in the MCU." Do people consider her MCU character to be a Mary sue?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
all the usual people who get mad about WOMZ in their COMIC BOOKS hate her, but for the most part she just seems relatively forgettable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know the MCU version is based more on Kelly Sue Deconnick’s relaunch of the character from 2012-13 and I can see them steering the character like that in future movies. Right now she’s kind of gotten tired of the current super hero status quo of being so reactive and is always looking for ways to be more proactive. This plus her military backgrounds tend to give her more of a authoritarian streak. She tends to get teamed up with T’Challa for this very reason.