Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know the MCU version is based more on Kelly Sue Deconnick’s relaunch of the character from 2012-13 and I can see them steering the character like that in future movies. Right now she’s kind of gotten tired of the current super hero status quo of being so reactive and is always looking for ways to be more proactive. This plus her military backgrounds tend to give her more of a authoritarian streak. She tends to get teamed up with T’Challa for this very reason.

Well, being that she's kind of Tony Stark-lite right now (all the sarcasm but none of his major character flaws, yet) I hope they put her down this path. She seems like a character who's bound to have a lot of tension with the rest of the Avengers so having her try a heavy handed approach to dealing with future problems (except this time with little to stop her) might make for an interesting next phase. It's a shame they got rid of Black Widow, because that would've been the perfect (and least controversial) person to play her counterpart, like Captain America to Iron Man, in both ideology and ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iamsosmrt posted:

Well, being that she's kind of Tony Stark-lite right now (all the sarcasm but none of his major character flaws, yet) I hope they put her down this path. She seems like a character who's bound to have a lot of tension with the rest of the Avengers so having her try a heavy handed approach to dealing with future problems (except this time with little to stop her) might make for an interesting next phase. It's a shame they got rid of Black Widow, because that would've been the perfect (and least controversial) person to play her counterpart, like Captain America to Iron Man, in both ideology and ability.

Eh, I think of Strange as being Tony's successor.

Carol I think is poised to be more of Thor's replacement - lots of attitude, the most straight up powerful of the new Avengers, and a tendency to hang out in space doing space stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Captain Marvel is an extremely boring replacement for post Ragnarok Thor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Eh, I think of Strange as being Tony's successor.

Dr. Strange is the least interesting person in his own movies, let alone the Avengers movies.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Dr. Strange is the least interesting person in his own movies, let alone the Avengers movies.

I didn't think his movie was that great but I've enjoyed pretty much every other scene he's been in. He's a lot more bearable when there's a relatively normal person to lampshade his ridiculousness.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Carol's got some rough edges to work out, but Thor started out as everybody's least favorite and now everybody loves him.

I'm not terribly worried.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

JBP posted:

Captain Marvel is an extremely boring replacement for post Ragnarok Thor.

Thor 1 and 2 Thor was like an order of magnitude worse than CM, though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pre-Rag Thor isn't very likeable but I think his character is pretty clearly established during the first movie. Stuff like him going straight in to attack the ice giants gives you an idea of the kind of person he was at the start, and unlike CM he had family relationships that informed his character.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Pre-Rag Thor isn't very likeable but I think his character is pretty clearly established during the first movie. Stuff like him going straight in to attack the ice giants gives you an idea of the kind of person he was at the start, and unlike CM he had family relationships that informed his character.

Also the fact that Thor had a thematic element of recognizing that him being an unlikeable rear end in a top hat was a problem to be solved.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I liked all three Thor movies. Maybe people aren't eating enough weed gummies before they go see them idk.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mymla posted:

Thor 1 is ok, imo, especially in the context of the later movies. 2 is terrible of course.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Mymla posted:

I guess I'd have to rewatch T1 and T2 (I won't) but I don't remember them being that bad. CM is also probably the most mediocre MCU movie possible in 2019, so that alone makes it hard to believe. If you created an MCU stencil or Madlibs and simply inserted nouns, adjectives, and actions wherever specified, you'd get CM the movie.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
What follows are the only nine seconds of both of the first two thor movies worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5bbu6NPRvU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mymla posted:

What follows are the only nine seconds of both of the first two thor movies worth watching:

There's also the scene where Thor hangs mjolnir on a coat rack

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mymla posted:

Thor 1 is fine, it has insane dutch angles and wild scenery chewing from everyone concerned.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like Thor 1 much more than Captain Marvel. I like how Thor's arc takes him from pretending to be kingly and laying it on thick to realising that's exactly what he was doing and he's better off just being himself, a baller rear end space slayer

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JBP posted:

I like Thor 1 much more than Captain Marvel. I like how Thor's arc takes him from pretending to be kingly and laying it on thick to realising that's exactly what he was doing and he's better off just being himself, a baller rear end space slayer

I feel a bit like CM is just pandering in a different way from the usual power/growth fantasies and that's fine but can feel a bit weird because it's unusual.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Heroes with no real weaknesses and illdefined power sets suck rear end universally

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Heroes with no real weaknesses and illdefined power sets suck rear end universally

her power set is blowing stuff up with lazer blasts op and her weakness is heeding the barbed blandishments of the patriarchy instead of blowing it up (w/lasers)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Her weakness is getting gaslit by everyone. Even Rhodes was kind of a prick to her in Endgame.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panfilo posted:

Her weakness is getting gaslit by everyone. Even Rhodes was kind of a prick to her in Endgame.

Like, 90% of superheroes are power fantasies for bullied nerdy boys. CM is a vindication fantasy for adult women.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Panfilo posted:

That's the thing though, you're describing things that happen to Carol in the film rather than any intrinsic aspect of her character. I can certainly see the political allegory they were going for but I think it lead to a very poorly defined character.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's the thing though, you're describing things that happen to Carol in the film rather than any intrinsic aspect of her character. I can certainly see the political allegory they were going for but I think it lead to a very poorly defined character.

That she doesn't have a developed character is the biggest failure of the films. I'm trying to remember her entire Endgame arc and it's something like

1. You guys failed because you didn't have me. Who am I? The strongest one of all of us.
2. I wasn't here because Earth isn't the only planet with problems (with a bit of attitude)
3. Whelp, Thanos is done, bye
Two hours later
4. Oh hey I'm back, lemme crush that ship for you
5. Gimme that gauntlet, I'll get rid of it. Grrrrrl power team up.
6. Shine a little against Thanos until he uses a power gem
7. Appear in the funeral

I can't remember if there was any other scene she appeared in or more importantly, any meaningful dialogue that came from any of this. She literally could've not appeared in the movie and there wouldn't have been any relevant narrative difference in the movie.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

No one complains when anime guys like one punch man and goku do it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I dunno, I liked watching her throw down with Thanos it was like a DBZ fight.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Wow check out this loser who doesn't know Goku's weakness is needles and parenting

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The DB format is usually that Goku gets his rear end kicked, spends a bunch of time training and getting stronger before finally beating the bad guy in a drawn out and difficult fight. While he has an unlimited drive and capacity for improvement he isn't just stronger than everyone else with no effort.

One Punch Man does fit that description, but the series is a parody and is more about Saitama finding meaning in his life and how people's achievements are recognized (or not).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's even worse than what Irony is saying above - Goku didn't win a single major fight in Dragon Ball Super, and lost more than he won in Z. He died against Radditz, lost to Vegeta, he lost to Ginyu, he beat Freeza, then lost to 20, then lost to Cell and got killed by him before finally getting another win against Buu, kinda. He's typically horribly outmatched as the underdog in every fight in anything post-Dragonball. He's kind of the opposite of the point you're making.

Oh, unless you're talking Toei MOVIE Goku, who everybody pretty much hates because he has "I win" buttons after the invincible villain pounds on everyone uncontested for an hour so yeah, maybe that guy fits.

Darko fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 7, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He even lost the World Tournament to Jackie Chun and Tien in Dragon Ball.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Also Goku has character flaws like "Is maybe the dumbest person in the multiverse" and "doomed the universe/multiverse because he wanted to fight some strong people. Multiple times."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not to mention would rather fight dead people than raise his sons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

One punch man is good because his life is basically empty and meaningless due to his power level.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

JBP posted:

One punch man is good because his life is basically empty and meaningless due to his power level.

Wow that hits close to home.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calibanibal posted:

Wow that hits close to home.

It's the John Delorean story.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JBP posted:

I mean, same, and I have no power.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean, same, and I have no power.

Yeah but you know, if you could kill anything in the universe with one punch you'd feel the same.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

OPM at its core is about how being real good at something is not in and of itself valuable or fulfilling. Saitama spent years of his life training to become the most powerful hero in the world for its own sake and it hasn't made him any happier or more fulfilled, several of the cast have or are in the process of ruining their lives chasing the mountaintop of absolute skill or ability, and the only character in the setting that seems to have an uncomplicated, fulfilling life is the completely powerless and mundane Licenseless Rider, who spends his time rescuing pets and helping old people cross the street because helping people is good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 8, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JBP posted:

Yeah but you know, if you could kill anything in the universe with one punch you'd feel the same.

Pff. After a while maybe.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

OPM at its core is about how being real good at something is not in and of itself valuable or fulfilling. Saitama spent years of his life training to become the most powerful hero in the world for its own sake and it hasn't made him any happier or more fulfilled, several of the cast have or are in the process of ruining their lives chasing the mountaintop of absolute skill or ability, and the only character in the setting that seems to have an uncomplicated, fulfilling life is the completely powerless and mundane Licenseless Rider, who spends his time rescuing pets and helping old people cross the street because helping people is good.

The secret message of OPM season 1 was that Boros Won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Whenever discussion of Thor 1 comes up, which is almost never, I always say that I can never get enough of fish out of water comedy.

CM made me realize I was wrong. I didn't dislike the movie, it was fine. But CaMa trudging around going "What is this NIN you speak of?" didn't land with me, at all. I was more interested in Jude Law being an overbearing rear end in a top hat to her, but he sat things out for most of act 2, where the "lol pagers" comedy happened. Ben Medlesohn was the VIP of the movie, at first I was afraid that they pulled a Thor 2 on him by obscuring his face with lovely make-up, but he managed to be massively entertaining even in Skrull form.