Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I overall really liked the movie. I thought it was fun and good and if I didn't have a baby to find a sitter for, I'd definitely go see it again.

However, couple of minor gripes...
- Having Just A Girl as the final fight track was lame. Like, I get it (girl power!), but Prodigy's Firestarter and about a million other perfect songs were just sitting there.
- Film set in LA in 1995 and not a single culturally relevant reference to anything that actually happened from 1993-95, that I noticed. OJ Trial? West Coast/East Coast bullshit? Instead we just got a Buzzfeed-esque "remember this?!" with CD ROMs, Blockbuster Video, dial-up internet and pay phones, among a few other things.
- Would have liked for Korrath to have a teeny tiny bit more to do.
- Carol "Avenger" Danvers was the only thing I literally groaned about in the film. That was a "Martha?" moment if there ever was one in the MCU.

Now on to the things I really liked...
- The flerken/cat! Total scene stealer. When it unleashed near the end, I laughed so much. That was awesome.
- I LOVED that the Skrull/Kree conflict wasn't as cut and dry obvious as it came across in the trailers.
- Speaking of the intergalactic conflict, I appreciated that the movie didn't get bogged down with that and the film kept its focus on everyone it needed to.
- I know Carol was overpowered to the point of removing tension at the end of the movie, but I kind of liked that it wasn't drug out and belabored and enjoyed just watching her go full Binary at the end. I just hope they don't inexplicably de-power her for Endgame just to engineer tension
- I like all the little changes to the lore from the comics. I thought it all worked well.

Not a spoiler, but I didn't realize until I walked out of the theater that I never once thought about or questioned the de-aging with Fury and Coulson. It was THAT good.

EDIT: Since Carol and Maria's relationship has been debated, I never once felt like they were romantically involved. Just super close and competitive kindred spirits. Maybe I'll feel differently on re-watch, but sometimes friends are just friends. I think with any two characters in a film with good chemistry, you can parse whatever subtext you want out of their relationship. I don't think there was anything in the final product to support a theory of them being an actual couple.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

ookiimarukochan posted:

Have to say that the Stan Lee cameo, practising his dialogue for Mallrats was my favourite of all the films so far.

Holy poo poo... now that's a deep cut and I love it

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Neo Rasa posted:

This x10,000. I kind of hate how after all this stuff that goes down (even since Avengers 1) that earth is still, like, how earth is now. Like yeah there's more superheroes and there's SHIELD but this is a setting where a "space force" would be completely understandable. Like in kaiju and superhero stuff in Japan there's just an obvious like, whelp, this poo poo is real and part of daily society now. Thor talks about this happening even in Avengers 1, how the rest of the galaxy looks on at earth since it seems about to ascend to the "next level" of warfare or whatever, but hey there was crazy sci-fi stuff and aliens and everything even going back to WWII and to when the vikings were worshipping Odin and stuff. And each character's individual movie is about how, hey, laser weapons/aliens/whatever is real and in the real world and folks know about it, but absolutely nothing changes up because of that.

To that point, Red Skull and Arnim Zola cooked up super-laser weapons in the 1940s, and somehow that tech doesn't seem to mature at all or start creeping into society anywhere. Granted, the tesseract used to power all that stuff is lost for some time and at some point isn't on earth, but still, how doesn't any of that influence technology and design within the universe?