Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I used to be pretty indifferent to people suffering in media because, c'mon, it's just pretend! But things change when you get kids.

I watch this guy Campster on youtube sometimes, he does pretty decent reviews of indy games and stuff. Two years ago I was sitting at home, my infant son finally asleep, and I was watching a review of a weird indy game called That Dragon, Cancer. It's a video game about a dad coping with his infant son suffering from cancer. Weird loving premise for a game. I haven't even played it, I've only ever seen (part of) that review. Anyway, there's a scene in the game that's shown in the review, where the protagonist walks round and round inside a darkened hospital room, carrying his son and trying to calm him down. The baby won't sleep, won't eat, won't accept any toys, he's just in pain from the cancer and cries and cries.
I had to shut the video off at that point. I was just a sniveling, bleary-eyed mess. I'd been carrying my own son around just twenty minutes earlier, trying to make him sleep, and that poo poo just triggered some parental angst in me.

I can't stand to see young kids hurt anymore, even if it's just in fiction. I barely got through the first ten minutes of the new IT movie.

My buddy I’ve known for 20 years grew up watching gory mind numbing horror movies but he has a kid now and it’s the same for him. I’m reading The Road for the first time and I was describing the book to him and he’s all like :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Motherfuck. The fact that the "Please don't euthanize" plea is obviously an adult's handwriting while the rest is a child's is really gut-wrenching.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

My buddy I’ve known for 20 years grew up watching gory mind numbing horror movies but he has a kid now and it’s the same for him. I’m reading The Road for the first time and I was describing the book to him and he’s all like :pwn:

Oh yeah, gently caress The Road. The part where they find a gun, and the dad shows his son how to commit suicide with it...
Yeah, gently caress that poo poo.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Oh yeah, gently caress The Road. The part where they find a gun, and the dad shows his son how to commit suicide with it...
Yeah, gently caress that poo poo.

The Road is one of only two books I've ever had to put down and take a little break from. The other was also a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Motherfuck. The fact that the "Please don't euthanize" plea is obviously an adult's handwriting while the rest is a child's is really gut-wrenching.

If it's any comfort, the Twitter thread has someone applying to adopt him, and they mention there are a ton of applications already in the queue. Tigger's gonna be okay.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I Am Legend when he has to kill his dog. The rest of the movie is meh, but that gets me every time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Max Richter's Written on the Sky and True Love Waits by Radiohead. I can't explain why, but they do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did someone post When the Wind Blows yet?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Stelio Kontos posted:

The end of What Remains of Edith Finch got me good, even the narrator starts to choke up.

This and Gone Home wrecked me

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssFPbXAR1WQ

This song destroys me but the one part in particular where she says, "We can always try. I'm getting out of here. Are you coming with me?"

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I'll give you two, an image and a song:

I can't find the image at the moment but it's a few cropped panels from a manga of some little girl trying to fight back tears as they play with a little duck toy. I think it's a bit of a meme image, used in 'depressing picture' compilations and stuff like that. Seeing it for the first time hit me hard as it dredged up some buried memories that I haven't had to deal with for a long, long time. I cried and cried and cried. It's really dumb since the cropped panels are sourced from a really weird hentai, but at the time, I had no idea, and even knowing that now it still gets me nevertheless.

As for a song, it's Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemKqzILV4w I know nothing about the band and I barely even know the song, but it came on randomly in the background at a certain depressing time in my life and now it always can bring me back there. Something about the chorus, "if I just lay here", sticks out to me, as that was all I wanted to do at that point.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh gently caress I just crid everytim ;_;

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The matt damon movie "we bought a zoo" always gets me. It's stupid because it's supposed to be an uplifting movie but it just depresses the poo poo out of me.

Definitely in my top 5 "so bad its good" movies of all time. The parent whose obsession is ruining their kids lives, the appeal to sympathy for the zookeepers for being put out by the needy animals who can't just suck it up and live with improper food and shelter, the moustache-twirling zookeeper who had the nerve to insist on making sure the zoo is properly treating its animals

I dont know how close it was to the source book, but someone along the way who had a major hand in the story has to be the most self-righteous unaware abusive dickbag on earth

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Also, I hate Disney movies and just most kids media makes me barf.

But "I think the King should finish his last race" chokes me up every time I even think about it

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Queen - '39

Brian Mays sung a song that's basically filk. It's about time dilation and space explorers returning after finding a new home, only instead of being greeted by their love at the spaceport, it's her descendent.

It's a really good story and it made me cry when I realised what it was about and that is so dumb considering it's basically Interstellar in a 3:30 track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Good Will Hunting when Ben Affleck's character is talking about how he's gonna kill Will if he's still here when he's 50 years old. Just straight up bawling.