Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Has anyone said Hootie and the Blowfish yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oh yeah that’ll do it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I used to be pretty indifferent to people suffering in media because, c'mon, it's just pretend! But things change when you get kids.

I watch this guy Campster on youtube sometimes, he does pretty decent reviews of indy games and stuff. Two years ago I was sitting at home, my infant son finally asleep, and I was watching a review of a weird indy game called That Dragon, Cancer. It's a video game about a dad coping with his infant son suffering from cancer. Weird loving premise for a game. I haven't even played it, I've only ever seen (part of) that review. Anyway, there's a scene in the game that's shown in the review, where the protagonist walks round and round inside a darkened hospital room, carrying his son and trying to calm him down. The baby won't sleep, won't eat, won't accept any toys, he's just in pain from the cancer and cries and cries.
I had to shut the video off at that point. I was just a sniveling, bleary-eyed mess. I'd been carrying my own son around just twenty minutes earlier, trying to make him sleep, and that poo poo just triggered some parental angst in me.

I can't stand to see young kids hurt anymore, even if it's just in fiction. I barely got through the first ten minutes of the new IT movie.

My buddy I’ve known for 20 years grew up watching gory mind numbing horror movies but he has a kid now and it’s the same for him. I’m reading The Road for the first time and I was describing the book to him and he’s all like :pwn: