Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Saxophone posted:

Is there anything cool worth doing Ficmas stuff for? There’s presents everywhere and I’m tempted to turn it off. Or at least I will once I get two more days of calendar goodies.

Basically should I stop what I’m doing and start doing this thing?

The candy cane is actually the strongest melee weapon you can get, it does randomized damage between 7-14 while a xenobasher does 9 so it averages a bit higher. Snowballs also work like Nobelisks and can destroy rocks if I remember right. The rest is mostly decorative, making a Christmas factory is fun but the products don't have any bearing on the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
I think it's also the only way outside of editing your save to open up a couple of particular hard drive containers since the advent calendar is the only source of Quantum Computers and... something else?

I just use Satisfactory Tools to edit my save when I get to the crashes in question, though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You only need to collect the falling gifts until you've unlocked the small ficsmas trees that produce gifts for you, then you can automate everything.

You're not really missing anything by not engaging with it. But you should at least open the calendar because it can give some neat stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Saxophone posted:

Is there anything cool worth doing Ficmas stuff for?

The Ficsmas power cable with lights looks good as decor here and there. And they stick around even when it's not Ficsmas.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The candy cane is actually the strongest melee weapon you can get, it does randomized damage between 7-14 while a xenobasher does 9

That was what the basher used to do (it actually wasn't 7-14 random, it was 7 then 14 in the two-swing attack animation). Then they changed it and got rid of the combo. The candy cane is the same as the basher.

Are you still looking at the old wiki on fandom? The official wiki moved because fandom sucks.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Saxophone posted:

Is there anything cool worth doing Ficmas stuff for? There’s presents everywhere and I’m tempted to turn it off. Or at least I will once I get two more days of calendar goodies.

Basically should I stop what I’m doing and start doing this thing?

At a minimum make sure to get all of the ficmas gifts from the advent calendar.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I don’t suppose you unlock fast travel or teleporting or something at some point do you? This traveling by foot stuff is fine but the map is so huge I don’t know if I want to make the 20 minute slog home. But I also need hard drives….

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Saxophone posted:

I don’t suppose you unlock fast travel or teleporting or something at some point do you? This traveling by foot stuff is fine but the map is so huge I don’t know if I want to make the 20 minute slog home. But I also need hard drives….

You can build Hypertubes for faster personal transport (or abuse them for a people cannon), or get into vehicles. You can also build a Zipline from the MAM, which lets you travel along built power lines pretty dang quickly- the power towers are great for this since you get uninterrupted ziplining between them.

There’s no teleporting, but decent travel infrastructure makes the map feel way smaller.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I use slide jumping and the fastest conveyor belts available to get me where I'm going to in the early game. I usually have a dedicated "to" and "from" line I don't use for materials; flattened as straight as possible, even if it means making ugly sky foundations to get around terrain.

The zipline and power towers make vertical travel a breeze when you unlock them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I love my hypertube cannon that would get me from place to place. I haven't played the latest update though, I guess that doesn't work anymore?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Leal posted:

I love my hypertube cannon that would get me from place to place. I haven't played the latest update though, I guess that doesn't work anymore?

The linear accelerator ones still work but you need to delete the final support on the exit or you'll get stuck. Some of the cyclotron designs people used to build stopped working but I think they were able to revise things and get them running again.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I use a mod for earlier trains and just set up train lines going everywhere, easy enough to ride the rails to get to parts of the base at that point.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

Noir89 posted:

I used lots and lots of explosives, seemed to work out great :v:

Josh, is that you?

Doing my first play through since update 5. researched all of tier 7 except for drones. Built 2 turbofuel plants that turn 600 oil pm to diluted fuel to turbo fuel which runs a total of 150 generators. Got the idea of building an all in one factory but I am realizing that even 2 tier 5 belts from a train station really isn't enough to feed enough raw materials into machines to really supply enough basics like steel and iron ingots to make everything. Might just suck it up and run it as best I can and let it run slow until everything can back up. Building just the 1 around the world train line was so much work, I really respect people who build a ton of train lines. Maybe in a future map I will figure it all out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Go hand mine some Caterium and unlock the Blade Runners in the MAM, it's the best early QoL upgrade. The next step up is the Explorer, in the Quartz tree of the MAM. It needs heavy modular frames to build, so you either need to find some around crashed pods or buy some from the awesome shop if you're not on advanced steel production yet.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have both of those and the legs were probably the single best upgrade QoL for traversal, but the explorer seemed meh enough that I disassembled it, and it felt like if I wasn’t on a clear path or there was anything at all in the way it’d stop

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The explorer used to be good. I drove one around constantly back when I started playing the game. Made a garage for it in my base and everything.

It was super-hosed by the new UE5 vehicle physics. Now it's all squirrelly and breaks traction easily, pretty much opposite to how it used to be. As it is now, probably just run with the blades. Nearly as fast and much less frustrating.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Add the parachute in that mix and you’re golden. What a fantastic way to cross huge spans, and it seems to be improved by the blade runners maybe? I can’t recall.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The new giant powerlines combined with the ziplilne tool are amazing for getting between bases quickly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

The explorer used to be good. I drove one around constantly back when I started playing the game. Made a garage for it in my base and everything.

It was super-hosed by the new UE5 vehicle physics. Now it's all squirrelly and breaks traction easily, pretty much opposite to how it used to be. As it is now, probably just run with the blades. Nearly as fast and much less frustrating.
Huh, I didn't know that. I haven't unlocked it in my U8 game yet because I'm trying to build compact and haven't gone exploring for hard drives other than the ones nearby. That's a pity and I hope they fix it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This loving game.

Started putting up large electric towers and holy poo poo all my traversal complaints are gone.

Also today I finished my coal plant…. And then decided to double it. It’s not much but I’m weirdly proud of it.

1200MW!

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Saxophone posted:

I made my first hypercannon a month ago and yeah that's probably easiest way to explore large distances. Set up a blueprint, it becomes really easy to carry enough ingredients for a few and bio burners to just slap it down. Hell you could have a blueprint with the bioburner built-in for spontaneous power source. Bring some fuel with and you can shoot around the map pretty freely. Bring a parachute though if you aren't bringing jetpack fuel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kinda super pleased with how the base level of the new fuel-based power plant came out.

Going up, there'll be space for as many floors of 8 generators each for as high as I want to go.

Crawlspace, it's important to build on a solid foundation:

The pipes will get tidied up once I finalize their entry into the space. Or maybe they won't! Chaos in a crawlspace is a certain aesthetic.

e: OH GEEZ a friend off-handedly suggest I make the floor drain there a hypertube entrance. The ground is right there but I've already been clipping pipes underground to bury them under train tracks, why not do the same with people? IT TOTALLY WORKS AND MAKES FOR AN AWESOME ENTRANCE

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 30, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Geez, it looks great with the lights and walls installed,

But when I turn the lights on for level 2, the lighting just on that level blows out and the framerate tanks by a third.

But I mean, come on, this thing was born to run multiple levels!

So, so many levels...

Also, haven't settled on a color scheme yet, but I did at least paint it up so I can trivially remix. Might pick a different wall texture, too.

Anyhow, it seems the game is fine with 8 or so lights, gets cranky by 16. 3080 10GB @1440, although I do have everything maxed out. Ah well.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 30, 2023

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Did you use any kind of blueprints to build that? like is each generator section a blueprint?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nope, just the floor grid from foundation blocks, and the fact that it’ll snap placement but still allow a 45 on adjacent blocks.

That is, I used the 45+foundation snap to make the ring, then everything is built as an extension from that.

e: that is to say, I did it the hard way, piece by piece

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 30, 2023

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Nope, just the floor grid from foundation blocks, and the fact that it’ll snap placement but still allow a 45 on adjacent blocks.

That is, I used the 45+foundation snap to make the ring, then everything is built as an extension from that.

e: that is to say, I did it the hard way, piece by piece

working on an all in one factory, using blue prints and not even trying to make it pretty, it is so much work.. you are a mad man

Also I have been using signs as a light source in tunnels and stuff. They do decently since they snap to walls and don't need power. Not sure if that is an option or if I am digging a grave for my save.

TheJadedOne fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 30, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Munki posted:

Anyhow, it seems the game is fine with 8 or so lights, gets cranky by 16. 3080 10GB @1440, although I do have everything maxed out. Ah well.

Are you running in DX12? I have areas with that many lights and decent frames even with a much lesser GPU.

Though possibly the lights have more performance loss when they overlap? That could make sense, I think I've seen something like that before. I always try to space out my lights.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheJadedOne posted:

working on an all in one factory, using blue prints and not even trying to make it pretty, it is so much work.. you are a mad man

Also I have been using signs as a light source in tunnels and stuff. They do decently since they snap to walls and don't need power. Not sure if that is an option or if I am digging a grave for my save.

A lot of the design doesn't come out until all the segments are going together, in context. I find myself tearing out a single aspect through all copies to make a minor tweak after I see how it all goes. If blueprints can do that, I'm an idiot. But I haven't even looked at that system yet. :haw:

Klyith posted:

Are you running in DX12? I have areas with that many lights and decent frames even with a much lesser GPU.

Though possibly the lights have more performance loss when they overlap? That could make sense, I think I've seen something like that before. I always try to space out my lights.

Yeah, I'm on 12. I hadn't noticed this anywhere else, it was just when I slammed that second bank of 8 lights on over top of the first 8. They are all shining in the same place, so I'm sure it has to do lighting calculations x16 for a lot of that space.

In the end, though, I found an alternate solution: I just put a ring of downward-pointing wall lights at the very top of the tower. Works fine for the look of the thing. A bit dark in the corners at night but that's okay, and it lights up the inside nicely so that from a distance at night, you can see the light shining out between the segments, very space-lighthouse vibe. Lights the interior, and keeps me to 8 lights total in that space.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright. I did it. I made my very first factory.

I've got my coal power plant running (Though I already probably need to expand) and shut down my spaghetti strand operations and set up a factory in that lake basin with the coal, copper, and iron. Half the coal is feeding the plant, the other half is feeding my new steel pipe and beam plant. I think I'm getting something like 60 beams and 45 pipe per minute.

Basically 240/m coal and iron go in. 6 smelters on the bottom floor turn the iron into ingots. That goes upstairs via floor lift conveyers into 6 foundries supplied by coal via conveyer walls, 3 on each side. That feeds up into the constructor room where one side makes pipe and the other beams. It was super fun working out exactly how it would all work. The 4th floor houses 6 each large storage containers that then feed into a small storage container on each side for easy access or direct link with space in front if I want to set something up quickly.

Have some pictures!

[

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think huge glass walls make literally every structure better. That and catwalks. Nice! Also I know the spot you’re talking about, that’s where I set up my first real power plant when I played solo. It’s an awesome spot!

And then when me and a buddy were doing a run before the rest of our crew joined, I cut down every tree and bush in that entire valley and paved it completely flat. :getin:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Been messing around with Shadowplay now that I have a computer which can handle my megafactories at a decent frame rate and record at the same time, started with a tour of my nuclear sky plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS97nkLNQmE

Ignore all the yellow lights, still troubleshooting the many inefficiencies I missed during initial construction. 2/3 of my steel ingot belts weren't connected to the steel pipe constructors so HMFs/FMFs/PCCs were deficient, some aluminum ingot belts weren't connected so aluminum casings/plutonium cells were deficient, quickwire belts needed balancing, nitrogen train lines needed to be saturated with empty canisters/more trains, water was running dry on most production lines so I added an extra train to each of the three circuits, redirected some aluminum/non-fissile uranium wastewater to deal help with the shortages and then it backed up and I had to divert more back to wet concrete, etc. Probably a bunch more things to deal with as shortages and blockages appear in the system but it's only fluctuating from ~0.8-1.2TW now instead of ~0.4-1.2TW so progress is being made. Working on relieving congestion in the train lines surrounding the factory currently since that's a big cause of water shortages, think I'm close to getting the trains running without frequent jams at this point.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I've got a big turbofuel/power plant that I didn't plan well enough and is kind of cobbled together. It works, but I kind of want to redo it. It's big enough that manually deconstructing everything would be a huge hassle, and I really don't want to deal with it. Even trying to keep space in my inventory while taking it apart would be a huge pain, and at some point I'd lose power for the hover pack.

I thought one of the newer patches let you toggle on creative mode, or at least some features of it, but I don't recall the details. I could just edit the save at delete the factory and lose all teh materials, but could I toggle on free flight and the ability to construct things without having mats and rebuild the plant that way?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

boxen posted:

I thought one of the newer patches let you toggle on creative mode, or at least some features of it, but I don't recall the details. I could just edit the save at delete the factory and lose all teh materials, but could I toggle on free flight and the ability to construct things without having mats and rebuild the plant that way?

Yes. You check the box for Advanced Game Settings down next to the load button on the load save screen. Then when in game you'll have a new settings menu with the new options.

However, you can't turn off AGS again and it's permanently marked the save. (You can toggle creative / fly / nopower modes on and off any time, but not the AGS mode itself.)

Maybe the online map editor can unmark AGS though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheJadedOne posted:

Did you use any kind of blueprints to build that? like is each generator section a blueprint?

Real glad you called me out on this. I was looking at our production lines and realized we were generating fuel solely as a byproduct, so it was taking three extractors to power the one plant from heavy residue->fuel. Did the math and realized that if I took just one extractor on a normal deposit producing diluted fuel, I could power like FOUR of these towers. Which I then immediately decided I want to do. Multiply that even further if I upgrade the whole thing to turbo fuel.

The blueprint designer has more space than I thought. Turns out I can, in fact, fit one section of one floor within the bounds.

Close fit height-wise, but that's fine, they stack nicely, with just a few cross-segment hookups to follow with after dropping each one. This is gonna be nuts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Finally.

By far, the biggest drag was tearing down the old one in order to rebuild (bigger) using the blueprinted segments. No zoop mode there. :negative:

128 fuel generators in total, burning 1600 fuel a minute, for just shy of 20kMW.

Might add two more.

e: While we're here, a small extended tour of the basement is in order. You can see the entrance at the base of the tower in the above pic.

Welcome to Station 2!

We'll be having a look inside the tower utility corridor today, please watch your step.

In the event of an emergency, please look for the vertical red bars indicating the exit through which you just came.

Don't be alarmed: while the design aesthetic may seem to indicate a certain risk, we now build our towers with 100% less Darth Vader than previous generations.

Okay, who let the techbros in here? NO PHOTO SHOOTS ALLOWED.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 7, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that looks sick as hell

i wish i had any aesthetic sense whatsoever lol

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I'm hoping to finally put in some nice visual touches in my new save I've started, I have the motivation of that VR injector thingie now, so I want to make some walkable decent looking buildings I can appreciate up close. I'm actually building with the world grid for once! No conveyor spaghetti spans snaking out for kilometers across the world this time!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mischievous Mink posted:

I have the motivation of that VR injector thingie now,

Also in my list to try to figure out this weekend. Trip report/notes if you come up with anything, please!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Just realized I never posted finished pics of my Spire Coast mega refinery. I finished it over a month ago and then went on some trips to see family, so forgot to show off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UePtoxDhJSw

Absolute maxed production is 360 plastic & 2340 rubber per minute. That's a bit more than I need -- in particular I'll only use about 300 plastic, while for rubber I might go above 2300. But the output has some flex to it. If the plastic isn't being fully used it can output more rubber with some efficiency penalty (output from basic rubber refineries instead of recycled). Hitting 2400 rubber should be no problem. All this is completely self-balancing.

Stats:
42 rubber refineries (+3 OC value)
18 dilute fuel blenders
24 recycled plastic refineries
36 recycled rubber refineries
1350 crude oil & 1800 water input
2 train stations with 3 cargo platforms each
a whole lot of insanely complicated belt & pipe work

It's pretty rad. But I'm very glad that I am pretty much done with refinery builds now. Only other factory that will use them in any quantity is a battery factory, and I might just use blender recipes there just to avoid building more refineries.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 21, 2024

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I finally got my friend to start playing Satisfactory and she asked if I could real quick help her just look at the water pipe to her first coal setup that wasn't working.

Satisfactory in a nutshell. She did end up with 24 working power plants in a nice building though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've seen water networks do some weird poo poo. best was probably going down under a newly spin up battery of coal burners to find one water extractor somehow pegged at 300 cubic meters per second output (no overclocking) and the other two idling