Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think water sloshes in the pipe and can have interesting effects. Valves can largely alleviate this, and pumps can help pack it in where you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've found that if you place pumps aggressively enough you can largely ignore the finer details of fluid mechanics in exchange for slightly more energy consumption

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The thing about water that I've pretty much just entirely given up on at this point is anything that both uses and outputs it as a byproduct.

If I don't have the stuff necessary nearby to just package and sink it I'm just gonna build a bunch of industrial buffers and flush the system when I'm in the area, trying to feed it back in to the system for more output just always seems to break for some reason

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you have water byproducts, send those to wet concrete or something, you don't need to merge it back into the feed for the same machines. Just use it for a separate production line that doesn't matter if it runs under capacity.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Wet concrete or whatever pure recipe uses the most water if there isn't a limestone node nearby. I used to balance water throughout a system with aluminum plants and the higher end nuclear stuff but now I can't be bothered, every occurrence of waste water gets turned solid and dumped in the sink.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Doesn't the pipe stuff kind of have gravity based priority because of how whacky pipes are? If you hook up the waste water and then supply fresh water into the system from above, things magically work?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Ok, whoever said the power towers transform exploration weren't joking. I went from schlepping it on foot like some kind of animal to taking a self guided gondola ride tour of the map. Gigantic cliff? Gondola ride. Massive chasm? Gondola ride. 2.2 km to the ore you wanted? Gondola Ride.

Only complaint is if you don't angle them right it'll fling you to your death instead of carry on to the next wire segment.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ninjewtsu posted:

i've found that if you place pumps aggressively enough you can largely ignore the finer details of fluid mechanics in exchange for slightly more energy consumption

Use valves instead, they're free.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Doesn't the pipe stuff kind of have gravity based priority because of how whacky pipes are? If you hook up the waste water and then supply fresh water into the system from above, things magically work?

Unfortunately no. Pipes are even more whack than you can possibly imagine!

In a junction where one source pipe is on top and another one is below, and both have equal head lift, the bottom one will generally have priority. This video demonstrates it. It's not 100% effective though: if flow is established first on the upper pipe, it takes a while before the lower one takes over.

I think what is happening in the game code is that pipe networks update in order of Z position. And that's how they get the general "water flows downhill" rule: not by actual logic, but just as a side effect of iterating through them bottom to top (or top to bottom, depending on whether pipe flow works by pull or push).

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Satisfactory just went live on YouTube with a stream titled "The Satisfactory Roadmap to 1.0"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxziQw8fJQ&t=52s

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2026 lol.

(Just looking at the thumbnail )

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
tl;dw next update will be 1.0, "this year", no specified timeline

The bad news is that due to how they've merged their dev branches, they can't do any patches for the existing early access branch. Which is more or less fine for single player, the only thing I'm annoyed by not getting a fix for is the vehicle handling.

But the dedicated server still seems a bit janky after the UE5 engine change, at least going by the chatter on reddit. So it'll be a kinda sucky wait for anyone who is super into multiplayer.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This dumb game absolutely enraptured me for like a month. The only thing that broke my hold was that I bought myself My Time at Sandrock as a Happy Vasectomy present. But even now i feel tempted to get back into it…

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think they meant they couldn't do any big patches. Bugfixes will probably be backported to the live branch.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
It didn't sound that way based on what I heard. He specficially mentiones that they had hoped to patch more, but it would have to wait.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well it sounds like on their end the live and 1.0 branches are basically one as far as development is concerned. I'm assuming they -could- emergency fix something for the live game, but at this point it's more trouble then it's worth to try to continue to work on it as a separate branch.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The race is on to finish Satisfactory before Embracer Group shuts down Coffee Stain.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
gently caress you Embracer group.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

embracer extender extinguisher group

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
ring ring

New factory, who dis?

(That is just part one, there is a second section in progress on the other side of the big rock in the background. This part makes reinforced plates and steel pipe. A whole lot of pipe.)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I can’t watch the video at the moment, do they mention much about what the single player “campaign” looks like at 1.0?

I think there was some talk over a story and what some of the artefacts and stuff would do but unsure if they’ll ever pan out

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

teacup posted:

I can’t watch the video at the moment, do they mention much about what the single player “campaign” looks like at 1.0?

I think there was some talk over a story and what some of the artefacts and stuff would do but unsure if they’ll ever pan out

Nah, still no specifics. They've said in the past that the collectibles and SAM ore will play into the story but haven't said how.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

ring ring

New factory, who dis?

Looking good!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope 1.0 release will include the story, and not modern gaming version of "1.0" where they still add stuff after the fact.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Leal posted:

I hope 1.0 release will include the story, and not modern gaming version of "1.0" where they still add stuff after the fact.

They said 1.0 will be feature complete and there’s not any plans for adding on in the future but there might be expansions?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re getting pressured to be done and move on to something else by embracer

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

TK-42-1 posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re getting pressured to be done and move on to something else by embracer

I can see this. Outside of blueprints the recent changes haven't really been things that would excite prospective new players. If they have no plans for dlc it's probably a better business decision to force them to wrap it up and get the official launch sales than have the devs putter around on tweaking biomes and such for another 2 years.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I just found out from my friend who has been playing Satisfactory for like three weeks you can stack ceiling conveyor supports on each other. How have I never known this before?

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Really? That's glorious. I tried this specifically and found it wasn't working, assuming it would snap together like the floor version. I'll have to try again.

edit: that is exactly how it works, I was just too high to realize I was trying to put the floor stacker on the ceiling.. wondering why it wouldnt click

Faucet Drinker fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 11, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you can what

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Not the ceiling pipe supports, though, which has irked me on several occasions.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I feel so dumb, but just in case anyone else doesn't know I'll admit it, I didn't know that holding shift makes you go faster when using the zipline tool. Ugh!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Turn on the sprint toggle option instead of hold to sprint and just always be sprintin’

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So, where were we? Ah yes:

At some point I realized that 6 times 16 is rather more than 78, so I deleted one block of constructors and chopped down the back part of this building. Looking from this angle, I'm not sure I like that slope. Might go back and redo that.

Nice details I'm inordinately pleased with.

My that's a lot of belts. Where do they go?

A big square building that makes lots of little squares!

Frameworx stats:
2400 steel & 1570 pipe per minute
110 modular frames / min (19 net)
34 HMFs / min (24 net)
10 fused frames / min

Bonus build: 'Crete Beach

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 12, 2024

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Klyith posted:

Nice details I'm inordinately pleased with.

Thank you for the lesson in steel frames. Just gorgeous. Clean. Everything clean.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I really like the enclosed conveyor belt tracks, and also the half-exposed machinery on that intro photo. Really well done!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Faucet Drinker posted:

Thank you for the lesson in steel frames. Just gorgeous. Clean. Everything clean.

Teledahn posted:

I really like the enclosed conveyor belt tracks

If you are interested in replicating this, I did it using a blueprint like this:

You can snap that to the end of a line of frames, and on either side of a angle when you want to curve the raceway. That makes running the belts relatively easy.

Then once you're done you can use blueprint dismantle to remove them and replace with a plain frame, to get rid of those supports.

Teledahn posted:

and also the half-exposed machinery on that intro photo. Really well done!

Thanks! I don't often leave machines so exposed, but with that many of them it looked purposeful and better than my normal methods. Another of my dumb rules is all smoke generating machines must be placed so the smoke can get out. No smoking indoors. :colbert:

Speaking of blueprints, today I worked on this thing:

What the heck is it? Well, a youtube guy figured out how to do the coolest, most-wanted thing in the game: a remote "bring me these items" system. Yep, Factorio logistics bots in Satisfactory.

I've re-implemented the main functional block that makes it work. Now I'm gonna integrate it to my home base, so I can tell my building supplies train to go and fetch particular things, rather than just a general mix of supplies.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Is there a guide aimed at teaching building efficiently somewhere?

Not building efficient buildings, I mean not wasting so much time doing tedious poo poo like connecting this pixel to that pixel.

Thinking I should be blueprinting a lot of smaller poo poo instead of trying to make big stuff that fits together

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Is there a guide aimed at teaching building efficiently somewhere?

Not building efficient buildings, I mean not wasting so much time doing tedious poo poo like connecting this pixel to that pixel.

Thinking I should be blueprinting a lot of smaller poo poo instead of trying to make big stuff that fits together

For blueprints, just set up constructors/assemblers/manufacturers/etc. with elevator lifts on both sides, which you then can stick splitters/mergers on in the blueprint. I usually have the mergers and splitters (input/output) face opposite directions and set up blueprints for both orientations. If you set up your blueprint book right, there's a hotkey to swap between blueprints in the same category, so it can make it easy to put down the one you need for a particular location.

You can also just set up [splitter - belt - constructor - belt - merger] blueprints, if you don't like lifts, but IMO it gets much more annoying targeting the short belts to upgrade should you need to. Plus, it just sets an easier standard for the multi input buildings since lifts can just be offset a little to avoid collision.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah cheers. I feel a bit better after more tinkering, I think I was trying too hard making stuff with complex connections between. I have a lot of trouble with lifts not being connected and not finding out until I try to put stuff through it, not sure why, they looked connected, so I've been shying away from them.

Random stuff I just figured out - explosives can blow up some normal rocks too, not just the "destroy me" textured rocks. Great for those rocks poking through foundations.

Holding control while pointing at a splitter/merger replaces it with another splitter/merger. Could've used that hours ago.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wait, do you mean it swaps it from a merger to a splitter? Because if so, I didn't know that and I've been missing out on it for 300 hours of playtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

Wait, do you mean it swaps it from a merger to a splitter? Because if so, I didn't know that and I've been missing out on it for 300 hours of playtime.

They just added that pretty recently, you aren't crazy. When they added ctrl-to-swap for things like walls a while back it didn't work on splitters.

(Also you can use it to change to smart & programmable splitters. Also you can build merger / splitter boxes onto the bottom of another box rather than only the top!)

Eediot Jedi posted:

Yeah cheers. I feel a bit better after more tinkering, I think I was trying too hard making stuff with complex connections between. I have a lot of trouble with lifts not being connected and not finding out until I try to put stuff through it, not sure why, they looked connected, so I've been shying away from them.

One set of my assembler blueprints had this for one of the lifts, it was maddening. Of course I only figured it out after I had built dozens of them in 3 different locations.

What happens is just the 1-pixel difference between "aiming at an I/O hole" and "aiming at free space", but when you're going click-click-click it can be easy to miss the little beep sound that tells you it has connected to something.