Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
As somebody who's sunk over a thousand hours into Factorio over the years, and about 300 hours into Satisfactory, I really wish trains and especially trucks were easier to use. I think what gets me so much about trucks et al is that you have to manually drive the route yourself. I'd much rather set up beacons and have them follow a spline of some kind. It's really annoying to have to drive a path manually first, especially if it's through narrow, bumpy areas, because then you get launched into the air and have to "fix" the path afterwards by deleting the path nodes that ended up in the air and hope that it's smart enough to just work. Also I wish I could tell them to wait until full/empty.

Why can't I drag the path nodes around, dammit? Maybe there's an out-of-game tool for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

There's no real need to mess with the nodes. If a node is unreachable or something, the vehicle will ghost to it after a bit and continue on to the next one.

I agree about wait until empty. Drones do it by default even!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I finished Phase 3/Stages 6&7, and now I'm "stuck" trying to get bauxite. The nodes are EXTREMELY far away from the green meadow, and also I have no idea how to even access certain parts of the map without just making massive unfun foundation towers with ladders. I also turned enemies to passive because I kept encountering mobs of spitters or hogs that used to be spiders but got replaced by the no-arachnids mod with other overpowered enemies that just take thousands of rounds of rifle ammo to take down.

Also the fact that there's no "automatic" train support the way there is for belts or hypertubes means building railways is also incredibly tedious and time consuming. By the time I built my rail line between the green meadows and the blue crater I... didn't need it anymore (for now) because I'd moved all the ingredients I needed to finish Phase 3 by hand. At least now I have a sense of the scale required for rail and... good grief. No matter what I'm doing, I give myself what I feel is too much extra space to build, and then as I start building I discover I haven't given myself enough space.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are vehicles prone to causing connection drops and/or crashes on the dedicated server? Windows 11, server obtained via steam, I'm just running it directly, not as a service or anything. We've been having a ton of crashes today and we were just getting into vehicles, seems suspicious.

Also, due to one of those crashes, which stripped a player of all his items, I think the boombox ended up out of bounds and the server console is spamming this a hundred times a second:

Is there any way to edit the save and fix this? I'm worried it's contributing or outright causing the crashes.

Otherwise, game is tons of fun, even without any apparent story or plot beyond being a 1st person cookie clicker. Even better with a full party on deck.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Munki posted:

Are vehicles prone to causing connection drops and/or crashes on the dedicated server? Windows 11, server obtained via steam, I'm just running it directly, not as a service or anything. We've been having a ton of crashes today and we were just getting into vehicles, seems suspicious.

From everything I've seen the dedicated server is super unstable after update 8. It's kinda the thing they fix only after everything else is fixed. The rest of the game they put a fair bit of effort into having things be decently polished by the time an update gets put into EA branch, dedicated server does not.

Bad Munki posted:

Also, due to one of those crashes, which stripped a player of all his items, I think the boombox ended up out of bounds and the server console is spamming this a hundred times a second:

Is there any way to edit the save and fix this? I'm worried it's contributing or outright causing the crashes.

You can load the save into the online map in Satisfactory-Calculator and see if it shows up in dropped items?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Awesome, thanks. Will give it a go once everyone’s off.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tried to find the offending item in that tool, no luck. But, based on the above feedback, we decided to just drop the dedicated server and if anyone wants on, I'll fire it up directly. Loaded the dedicated server's save up in single player and had people join, everything seemed fine, all our progress was there, everyone had their stuff, and a couple of us hit the desert in buggies and they were very nice and smooth, not jumping all over. Guess that's just how it is. Not great, dedicated is definitely preferred, but not if it ruins the game.

Now I just need a way to permanently chase off the walking balloon critters.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 18, 2023

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

FISHMANPET posted:

I also turned enemies to passive because I kept encountering mobs of spitters or hogs that used to be spiders but got replaced by the no-arachnids mod with other overpowered enemies that just take thousands of rounds of rifle ammo to take down.
No need for a no-arachnids mod; turning spiders into cats is an in-game "Arachnophobia" option.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can also straight up disable spiders nowadays.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sort of coming to the realization that despite the overlap between this and Factorio, this game is really aimed at a player with different interests than mine. I find the combat tedious, and the verticalness of the exploration off putting. I do seem to enjoy building up a factory and that final moment when you hook up your last belt and your little outpost starts producing the thing you wanted, but a lot of the scale and long distance logistics are less interesting to me.

I'll probably tough it out in this game just because I want to "experience" the last 2 tiers, but that might be it for me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FISHMANPET posted:

I'll probably tough it out in this game just because I want to "experience" the last 2 tiers, but that might be it for me.

Don't feel any pressure to complete the final space elevator delivery if you're not really enjoying the game. It's sort of a placeholder objective which the devs have said they'll scale down for the 1.0 release and exists mostly for diehards who want to keep playing for a long time after unlocking the final tiers.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I really, really, really, really like this game but I pretty much peter out when I start to get serious about Phase 5 and then put it down and wait for the next release.

Play how you want to :)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Advanced Game Options has been a godsend for my current revisit. I started with coal stuff unlocked and then when I was about to need to do the phase 3 space elevator poo poo I said "you know what? I shan't" and opened up the advanced game options again and unlocked that.

Like, my last save I did the phase 3 unlock, but I just generally find the space elevator stuff to be one of the more annoying parts of replaying since it just kind of feels like a drain on making actually useful stuff. Given all the space elevator stuff upgrades into the later space elevator parts, I'll eventually need to make a space elevator factory, but getting to defer it to the end seems like it might be more fun.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FISHMANPET posted:

Sort of coming to the realization that despite the overlap between this and Factorio, this game is really aimed at a player with different interests than mine. I find the combat tedious, and the verticalness of the exploration off putting. I do seem to enjoy building up a factory and that final moment when you hook up your last belt and your little outpost starts producing the thing you wanted, but a lot of the scale and long distance logistics are less interesting to me.

I mentioned this before, but the game really is split between different genres. As a purely efficiency-driven factory builder it's not much of a game. You're supposed to go out and explore (which drives research and weapons) and you're supposed to make things pretty, both of which cause enough time to pass that instead of producing mass quantities upfront you accumulate them over time. Whether or not you are into that specific design is a personal thing, but this thread is full of people saying they just play the early game each update then burn out so it's not uncommon to just stop when the grind sets in.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I'd be so bold as to say if you're playing Satisfactory in a way that burns you out, that is the only way to play it wrong.

Jace did a thing on his YT channel where he did a big career retrospective on every game he worked on, and there's a big section on Satisfactory, but this is the most relevant part to this discussion, I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYXRgGRgKI&t=2436s

Rewind a few minutes to get the bigger view of one of the devs on the game, which is pretty dope imo.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Mailer posted:

I mentioned this before, but the game really is split between different genres. As a purely efficiency-driven factory builder it's not much of a game. You're supposed to go out and explore (which drives research and weapons) and you're supposed to make things pretty, both of which cause enough time to pass that instead of producing mass quantities upfront you accumulate them over time. Whether or not you are into that specific design is a personal thing, but this thread is full of people saying they just play the early game each update then burn out so it's not uncommon to just stop when the grind sets in.

I picked it up again this year and have cruised through two elevator tech, and have just set up my first nuclear reactors. It was a big grind and during it I came to this exact realization above. Somedays are for exploring, some days are for putting up walls and painting, or simply making a single train depot out in the boons.

On the exploration side of things, there certainly is a lot of love put into the details. I started this game in the most NW block (cant remember the name) and it took me until the last phase to fully explore it, and discovered massive interconnecting cave ruins below my various base, another inside a massive mountain, and with several exits I haven't discovered yet. I was off in the middle of the jungle exploring and accidentally fell into the abyss, a massive waterfall/hole that was so deep it filled with fog on my rig. To my surprise it wasn't death, it was a massive drop into another massive cave I'd never visited.

I think what you're saying is important, and some days you gotta pack your bag with enough supplies to make a few Hyper Canon's and biofuel reactors (to get home) and go flying all over the map exploring.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I started a new factory a few weeks ago, started from phase 0 even. And the two biggest changes for making super early game not suck were turning off power demands until I got goal burners unlocked and activating fly mode from the start. The game is so much better when you can fly, and skipping the indefensibly awful burner phase made setting up early automation a lot more fun.

Just going "I need to set up smart plating, so time to spin up a factory for just that" without having to worry about whether I had enough leaves to hand feed a bunch of biofuel burners was life changing.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

I think the purpose of biofuel is to showcase exactly how much manual loading sucks and you should really, really automate.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One thing I dislike about exploring in this game is that it feels very uniform - no matter where you go, you have the same hard drives, the same slug distribution, the same four classes of monsters. There’s no difference between like, the resources in the north compared to the south. Contrast this with something like Subnautica, where certain resources and life forms are only found in certain biomes.

(Ok, the content of trees change a little, but when was the last time you cared about the content of felling trees besides the wood itself?)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There are definitely areas with different slug distribution. I’m pretty new to this but west of the northern dunes there’s a shallow swampy area, waterfalls pouring out of spires and such, pretty big area, really an entire zone, and I couldn’t believe how many higher grade slugs were chilling all over in there.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Satisfactory+ is out for the UE5 update now! For some of you who've grown bored with the base game, it's just what you're itching for. I assume for some it's the literal opposite however.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress it, going all in on rail since I need to move a ton of bauxite to start doing anything with Tier 7/8. Starting with a big Factorio/OpenTTD inspiried Ro-Ro station back at the main base. And since there was no "pass" between the grass fields and red bamboo, I had to build a spiral.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No clue what that is, but it sounds important.

My group is slowly working our way through the game for the first time, so this is all new to us. One guy likes to prospect, another guy likes to run infrastructure, and the third likes to close production lines. Dovetails very nicely. For my part, I like to optimize and retool once things are established.

With that in mind, I've been working on our power plant, we were due for an upgrade/replacement. I had planned on quadrupling our coal burners, we have thesupplies for it, especially once we threw sulfur in the mix. So I planned water and such for 32 burners, up from the previous 8. Unfortunately, I found out halfway through the build that the blocked out airspace above a coal generator goes alllllll the way up its exhaust. I had planned to stack 'em, that won't happen now. Still, I can do the 16 on the ground floor just fine, and with what we have available (we're only part way through phase 3, so MK III belt and MK II miners), I can run the whole thing off one pure coal vein, with some sulfur thrown in. If I rework the plumbing, I could boost everything 200% with the water available, so maybe it's fine with the 16.

Anyhow, it's my first attempt at actually making the thing aesthetically pleasing. I always rig things up all nice and tidy, but I don't actually bother trying to wrap a building around any of it unless necessary for layout. Here I attempted both. Someone had posted their own plant and part of it was pipes running below the walkways. I liked that, so I took some inspiration from that.

Minimal lighting, just down the middle. Nice rarely-inhabited warehouse vibe.

Catwalks at various levels for equipment inspections I guess. I specifically wanted the inputs at the front for interest, so routing things in a satisfactory (lol) way was crucial. Water is routed through the floor and comes up from below, coal is routed around the perimeter behind the burners, passes over the top of each, and drops down from above.

I like the darker rafters above.

Catwalks around the perimeter, including into the unlit corners, makes those parts feel extra removed.

I'm kind of in love with the pipes packed into a crawlspace beneath glass floors.

They all come in stacked neatly at one end. Indicators on there so they can be assessed at a glance, ended up with kind of a dashboard feel, visible from the majority of the plant floor.

The water supply. Tidy and expansive, at least for our game so far. I'm providing more than twice as much water as I need, so we'll see what happens next with the place.

Was waiting to paint until I'd really settled everything in. Now I just gotta pick a color scheme for the whole thing and go hog wild. I like the white/black combo, but also maybe some water-related colors. I dunno. Fortunately the game's swatch system helps with color-tinkering.

Still learning what does and doesn't work as we go along, always end up re-re-re-building things before finally settling on an approach. But of course, each time I do that, I learn a little more and the next attempt goes more smoothly.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 21, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That looks really nice. I love the glass floors over piping and the multi level walkways.

My coal plant isn't anywhere near as fancy. I went with the 1 extractor @75% per 2 generators because it made piping easy. The four normal coal nodes feed 4 generators each and the pure coal node on the other side of the river (coming in through the suspended belt on the left) feeds 8 for a total of 24 generators making 1800MW. Should last me until I have fuel generators.

Bad Munki posted:

https://ficsit.app/mod/SatisfactoryPlus I assume.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 21, 2023

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Bad Munki posted:

My group is slowly working our way through the game for the first time, so this is all new to us. One guy likes to prospect, another guy likes to run infrastructure, and the third likes to close production lines. Dovetails very nicely. For my part, I like to optimize and retool once things are established.

With that in mind, I've been working on our power plant, we were due for an upgrade/replacement. I had planned on quadrupling our coal burners, we have thesupplies for it, especially once we threw sulfur in the mix. So I planned water and such for 32 burners, up from the previous 8. Unfortunately, I found out halfway through the build that the blocked out airspace above a coal generator goes alllllll the way up its exhaust. I had planned to stack 'em, that won't happen now. Still, I can do the 16 on the ground floor just fine, and with what we have available (we're only part way through phase 3, so MK III belt and MK II miners), I can run the whole thing off one pure coal vein, with some sulfur thrown in. If I rework the plumbing, I could boost everything 200% with the water available, so maybe it's fine with the 16.

Anyhow, it's my first attempt at actually making the thing aesthetically pleasing. I always rig things up all nice and tidy, but I don't actually bother trying to wrap a building around any of it unless necessary for layout. Here I attempted both. Someone had posted their own plant and part of it was pipes running below the walkways. I liked that, so I took some inspiration from that.

Minimal lighting, just down the middle. Nice rarely-inhabited warehouse vibe.

Catwalks at various levels for equipment inspections I guess. I specifically wanted the inputs at the front for interest, so routing things in a satisfactory (lol) way was crucial. Water is routed through the floor and comes up from below, coal is routed around the perimeter behind the burners, passes over the top of each, and drops down from above.

I like the darker rafters above.

Catwalks around the perimeter, including into the unlit corners, makes those parts feel extra removed.

I'm kind of in love with the pipes packed into a crawlspace beneath glass floors.

They all come in stacked neatly at one end. Indicators on there so they can be assessed at a glance, ended up with kind of a dashboard feel, visible from the majority of the plant floor.

The water supply. Tidy and expansive, at least for our game so far. I'm providing more than twice as much water as I need, so we'll see what happens next with the place.

Was waiting to paint until I'd really settled everything in. Now I just gotta pick a color scheme for the whole thing and go hog wild. I like the white/black combo, but also maybe some water-related colors. I dunno. Fortunately the game's swatch system helps with color-tinkering.

Still learning what does and doesn't work as we go along, always end up re-re-re-building things before finally settling on an approach. But of course, each time I do that, I learn a little more and the next attempt goes more smoothly.

This is an insanely well done factory. I am very jealous.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, definitely going to steal design elements from that for my next factory.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks! And please do.

e: It's not like everything is so tidy...

Although even that isn't bad compared to our initial attempts. Honestly works pretty well.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 21, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Guess I was underestimating just how much my old CPU was bottlenecking performance.

Finally upgraded from a TR1950X to a 7950X after years of contemplating a system rebuild and can't believe how much better it's running now. Standing in the busiest part of my nuclear plant before was averaging something like 5-6 FPS, now it's running consistently between 20-22 and is actually responsive to commands again. Was expecting maybe double the performance due to generational improvements but not 3-4 times better, maybe the switch from DDR4 to 5 is helping as well. Completely wrote off this save since it had become unplayable but maybe I can keep going with it now.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I picked this up yesterday because hey, for 16 bucks why not, seems folks like it.

I started up and 4 hours later it’s almost 1am and yeah… so if anyone needs me this is where I’ll be :stare:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I hadn’t pulled a 4am night in a looooooong time until this game showed up. I’m in my 40s, I can’t do that poo poo anymore.

Fortunately, I went on holiday break for a couple weeks starting mid-week. RIP.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Saxophone posted:

I picked this up yesterday because hey, for 16 bucks why not, seems folks like it.

I started up and 4 hours later it’s almost 1am and yeah… so if anyone needs me this is where I’ll be :stare:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Bad Munki posted:

Now I just need a way to permanently chase off the walking balloon critters.

I use a mod called Vanish SpaceGiraffe or something like that.
It doesnt get rid of the big bouncy jerks but shrinks them very small.
On occasion you'll see one in the distance which will quickly disappear.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I used lots and lots of explosives, seemed to work out great :v:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Loving this game but holy poo poo it crashes a lot in the grasslands starting area. Or in general.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make sure you have up to date drivers, I had a similar problem recently, crashing every 5-10 minutes while building. It went away after doing a graphics driver update.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crazy, have a couple hundred hours in and never once did I get a crash. The dedicated server crashed or had issues all the time, but the game itself was fine, and switching to serving from that fixed everything.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Good call on driver updates, it’s probably been a minute.

I’ve already got the urge to abandon my current set up and set something up elsewhere. I started in the jungly forest area because it was the first place that had a couple of iron and copper nodes near each other, but now I’m needing coal and it’s forever away. Plus the area for setting up a large factory floor is cramped, to say the least.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Black out the sky with foundations and build atop them. Leave the surface and it's filthy inhabitants behind.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Yeah my Satisfactory brain started really clicking once I built up and did something of the 'sandwich' layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there anything cool worth doing Ficmas stuff for? There’s presents everywhere and I’m tempted to turn it off. Or at least I will once I get two more days of calendar goodies.

Basically should I stop what I’m doing and start doing this thing?