Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I heard the trains aren't in yet. c/d?

Double checked and you're right, they're not in. I read they were releasing into early access with an extra tier over what was in the demo version so figured they'd have trains in there, but seems not. Looking forward to that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Sheesh, where did my evening go?

Anyhow, gaze upon my early game spaghetti, ye spergy, and notice that it looks a lot like everyone else's, really:

Also, I still can't believe this coal truck path worked.

It's nice that someone has finally taken the incredibly nerdy factory automation genre and made a game where your coal munching pollution machines are all ridiculously photogenic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow, gaze upon my early game spaghetti, ye spergy, and notice that it looks a lot like everyone else's, really:

It's nice that someone has finally taken the incredibly nerdy factory automation genre and made a game where your coal munching pollution machines are all ridiculously photogenic.

I'd love to see a mechanic where machines slowly get dirty and grungy over time, but in such a gradual fashion (maybe over 10 hours or so) that you only notice hours later when you revisit to upgrade something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So far I like it, but they should either add a tier of automated energy between biofuel and coal, or they need to put a coal patch closer to spawn. Also, is there any tutorial about how you should learn your trucks to drive between depots?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

zxqv8 posted:

I'm quite ready to waste some time in this game. I'll dive on that EA grenade on the Epic Store for those of us with more sense.

Satisfactory: The factory grows to meet the needs of the growing factory
The threads grow to meet the needs of the growing thread

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I already love the heck out of this game.

My magnificent mess by moonlight:

I started in the woods for the sake of a slightly different backdrop for my factory as I assume most people will start in the plains.

ymgve posted:

So far I like it, but they should either add a tier of automated energy between biofuel and coal, or they need to put a coal patch closer to spawn. Also, is there any tutorial about how you should learn your trucks to drive between depots?
I kind of like it. It gives you a really strong incentive to go out and explore. You might be tempted to just hunker down and optimize pre-steel stuff for hours and hours if it weren't for the fact that power is a huge pain in the rear end without coal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Got to building the space elevator, pretty interesting so far.

I do like how research uses items that you are making already and mostly just scales up in number rather than requiring exotic stuff right off the bat. In Factorio it was a mess trying to get research to come out right if you don't plan in advance, here it's just a continuation of what you are already doing.

Not sure how I feel about the 3D shift though. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful, but I wish that things would snap to the ground a bit more. My space elevator has one side that is about twenty feet off the ground because I couldn't find a good flat spot near where I started. It makes your factory look messy, which is a shame because looking smooth and efficient is half the fun

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

ymgve posted:

The biofuel step isn't that bad if you do it right, the unfortunate part is that doing it right means intentionally not automating anything above plates, rods and wires, and even those lightly. You want to spend as much time as possible handcrafting and spend power only on fueling your manually made higher tier components to minimize foraging time, which means you can get through to coal on 4 or maybe 5 incinerators (including the hub ones) powering your basic products. I suspect that ideally you might not even want powered miners until coal since you can stack the unpowered portable ones on a single deposit and you can carry a lot of ore, though that seemed too annoying to contemplate.

That the best strategy for the first few hours of the automation game is avoiding automating things because doing them manually is easier isn't great. I do like that coal isn't conveniently located once you unlock it though, since I thought figuring out how the hell to truck it was a pretty fun puzzle.

As for how to truck, there are a couple of youtube videos but short version:
- Make a tractor. Load it with fuel from the tractor's built in workbench menu.
- Jump on to drive the vehicle, set "start recording" on the 'c' menu, and make sure that "show path markers" on the same menu is on.
- Drive around in circles for 20 seconds or so. You should notice that your car is pooping little blue arrows.
- Stop recording on the 'c' menu somewhere near where you started, enable autopilot and get out.
- Your truck should now drive around roughly as you just did, going roughly equally fast or slow, looping until it runs out of fuel or you hop on and take over.

Autopilot will not work when you are driving a vehicle. Try not to drive super close to dangerous things, the autopilot replay is pretty robust but it is not perfect. The ridiculous cliff ascent/descent my coal route uses seems to work consistently, but the autopilot will occasionally bump into a power pole that I brushed by or fail to get over some bump and reverse for a bit. It has consistently recovered from those errors so far, but I figure best not to tempt fate with any serious truck acrobatics.

For the stations themselves, truck stations have storage input/output and fuel input. Set one station to unload to trucks and belt something to storage in, set the other to load from trucks and put a belt from storage out. Put coal (or biofuel, if you really want) into the station fuel input for at least one of station. Record a truck driving from one station to the other and back. You don't need to stop at the station for longer than an instant, if at all.

E:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not sure how I feel about the 3D shift though. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful, but I wish that things would snap to the ground a bit more. My space elevator has one side that is about twenty feet off the ground because I couldn't find a good flat spot near where I started. It makes your factory look messy, which is a shame because looking smooth and efficient is half the fun

Pour more foundations over all that nasty terrain! My space elevator is likewise on a slope but I shoved 4000 m² of concrete under it. It looks pretty nice from a distance.

It's of course possible to overuse the foundation blocks and make a giant grid to cover the world which would be extremely boring. Please use foundation tiles responsibly, at a locally sensible and ideally jaunty angle.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 20, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, it is imperative you go exploring and find those hard drives in wrecked explorer pods. The alternative recipes they give out are way more efficient than the standard ones, I am having much more throughput with what was my worst bottleneck, reinforced iron plates.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So this game gets a lot more complicated once oil becomes a factor. You don't have to crack it into three different fluids like in Factorio, but in the plains map, oil spawns VERY far from you, you couldn't realistically build a conveyor to pull it all the way over to your main base, so you HAVE to learn how to use trucks. It does issue forth a whole lot of other more complicated parts to make, too, but dammit, I'm so close to figuring out enough automation to be able to make a fueling station that powers itself and keeps my truck truckin' back and forth between waypoints.

Except I hit a bug, I suddenly cannot open up the little record path menu on my truck anymore. Not sure what caused that. Annoying. But it was a good game day.

I cannot imagine how much more complicated this loving game is going to get with the tiers that have not yet been revealed, but drat. Time to watch other people's videos on how they're doing now.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sorry if it's been mentioned before but is there a good organizational pattern for wiring machines through walls? If you're trying to be organized and build actual buildings it seems like poles/wires get difficult to direct into enclosed spaces. Or should you just not enclose spaces? I wish there was a pole--to-wall connection kind of like there's wall conveyors.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Now that I have coal power automated I decided to spend the morning building overdesigned factory buildings for basic iron/copper stuff. Still haven't automated any higher tier assembly, although by now I really should.

The issue where decals get applied to a wall rather than the object behind them is real annoying.

On getting power into enclosed spaces, I ended up putting down a gate and dragging the power through it. It does seem like you should have some sort of wall/floor wiring, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have taken a bunch of screenshots with the P "photo" key, but where does it save those to?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

nielsm posted:

I have taken a bunch of screenshots with the P "photo" key, but where does it save those to?

Mine ended up in C:\Users\[me]\Documents\My Games\FactoryGame\Screenshots.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Mine ended up in C:\Users\[me]\Documents\My Games\FactoryGame\Screenshots.

Ty.

Here's my humble factory so far. Only just unlocked Steel, haven't built any yet. I want to organize my assembly line better first, make some real buildings, etc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What are the objectives in this game? Like are you earning money to buy upgrades arbitrarily or do you have specific goals like "build X number of Y"?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you have 'upgrade packs' you have to furnish with a b and c numbers of x y and z goods.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Xerophyte posted:

I actually built my factory on the beach of that lake (the one you were standing on when you took that picture) and it has been a pretty good starting area.

Notably, if you turn to the right from that spit and explore over on the other side of the waterfall that feeds the lake, there is a pure (!) iron mine (as in, the entire mine, not just the exhaustible pure iron on top of it) up against the cliffsides so if you don't mind running power and belts out to it, you'll have a ridiculous amount of iron.

The best part is there's a normal copper mine right next to that iron mine and there's a limestone mine on the small cliff between the beach and the waterfall. When you research the chainsaw milestone, you can clean up that entire little plateau and make a condensed basic part factory, with a couple of constructors to turn all that wood into biomass and then fuel.

I never looked past what was on the other side of the mines, but there's probably a place to build there too. I like you can run power (and belts!) over long distances like that

I started redoing my main beach area for more advanced poo poo, and thank you for confirming I can have self-driving trucks go up and get me some coal :getin:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Popete posted:

What are the objectives in this game? Like are you earning money to buy upgrades arbitrarily or do you have specific goals like "build X number of Y"?

Initially you feed materials into your base to let it upgrade itself until it gets a cargo plane, every upgrade comes with tech. Then you feed larger amounts of stuff into that to get new tech and it lifts off and comes back in a few minutes so you can pick a new task.

After that you build a space elevator and the demands get real crazy for new tech but it also looks dope as hell so it is fine.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PSA, don't be a dumbshit like me and spend hours running back and forth to the hub. Just build a crafting bench next to your storage units like God intended.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I would really like a global grid I can snap to to fulfill my sperg needs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

What? Just pave the world.

Popete posted:

The setting feels like you're a minion of some evil space civ that travels to resource rich planets, mines them to the last speck of dust, and leaves again when there's nothing left but an abandoned factory floor.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CuddleCryptid posted:

PSA, don't be a dumbshit like me and spend hours running back and forth to the hub. Just build a crafting bench next to your storage units like God intended.

Related to this: Don't be a dumbshit like me and immediately diassemble crafting benches when you make your ten cables or whatever. Just leave them dotting the landscape or next to your outbuildings so you can stop rebuilding them!

totalnewbie posted:

Build everything on grass, embrace the wonky gridless lifestyle

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

A small tip for grid based folks: you do not have to fully platform under the space elevator. I made a single foundation “path” out into an open area and rotated the elevator until I found the terminal side and placed that on the last foundation.

The supports/pylons of the elevator that isn’t touching the ground will extend nicely below it and look fine and you still get to have that on a grid without spending all of your concrete forever.

How much cosmetic stuff is there later in the tree? I can only do so much with only walls and walkways.

What I need is options to build a control room in the center of a massive open factory that has displays and controls of every line, but I’m going to need cushy office chairs and coffee makers if it’s going to work.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

A small tip for grid based folks: you do not have to fully platform under the space elevator. I made a single foundation “path” out into an open area and rotated the elevator until I found the terminal side and placed that on the last foundation.

The supports/pylons of the elevator that isn’t touching the ground will extend nicely below it and look fine and you still get to have that on a grid without spending all of your concrete forever.

How much cosmetic stuff is there later in the tree? I can only do so much with only walls and walkways.

What I need is options to build a control room in the center of a massive open factory that has displays and controls of every line, but I’m going to need cushy office chairs and coffee makers if it’s going to work.

the devs were pretty responsive to suggestions during the closed alpha - send this feedback their way and maybe it'll wind up in the game.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
The HUB needs to act as the start of a grid to which you can snap your foundations.

Perhaps other buildings as well, (looking at you, miners) but definitely the hub.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nielsm posted:

The setting feels like you're a minion of some evil space civ that travels to resource rich planets, mines them to the last speck of dust, and leaves again when there's nothing left but an abandoned factory floor.
Doesn’t it flat out tell you you’re an employee of FICSIT and you’re on the planet to supply some construction project with materials?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Impermanent posted:

the devs were pretty responsive to suggestions during the closed alpha - send this feedback their way and maybe it'll wind up in the game.

I may do just that. The only thing that would keep me from 100 hours of playtime is that added level of creating stuff. Otherwise once you get a good factory it’s sort of done, for me. Not that there’s anything wrong with being done with it - it already seems to have a good amount of content for early access - but adding cool customization and prettying it out would go a long way considering the art style and graphics are really solid.

I haven’t tried but is it safe to uproot your hub and can it be placed on a foundation once you get up and running?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Doesn’t it flat out tell you you’re an employee of FICSIT and you’re on the planet to supply some construction project with materials?

You don't quite get the big picture, but yeah it is pretty explicit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Speaking of this, I like how the damage indicator is not "you are taking damage", it's "FICSIT property is being damaged"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is why the truck is so awesome, it has a crafting bench built in so you can craft on the go.

EDIT: I've decided I need to make a truck that has four stops for now until I get my research up to the next tier. First stop: load up on coal. Second stop: deliver coal at my oil well so its coal generator keeps the oil flowing. third stop: pick UP the crude oil (since pickup and dropoff stations have to be different) and fourth stop: deliver crude back to my main base.

This is going to be a logistical nightmare but I'll find a way for it to work. I wish you could put input/output filters on the truck stops so I could make sure it only unloaded coal, hmmm.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2019

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I definitely stayed up later than I meant to last night playing this. Can't wait to get off work to trigger a friend of mine who is traumatized by people doing something he used to do for work, for fun.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Stayed up till way too late playing the game last night. It's fun, and I got to building my first coal generator before finally going to bed. Now to actually drive off to wherever the nearest coal deposit is and string some powerlines.

I found not overdoing production while in the hand-feed stage to be pretty important.

One copper miner -> smelter -> wire constructor -> storage unit, overclocked to 60 wire/min (limit for one belt) just fits into one biomass generator's capacity. If you take the time to convert the biomass to biofuel first it will last a good long time on its own.

Similarly for iron. One line of miner smelter constructor for plates, another for pipes, overclocked so that everything is running at 100% will get you the materials you need to unlock the first elevator delivery plenty quickly, without you having to spend all your time foraging and crafting fuel.

I found a broken pod that required quickwire to access. How many levels deep is the tech for that?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I found a broken pod that required quickwire to access. How many levels deep is the tech for that?

I've unlocked the last tiers accessible in Early Access so far and that item is not in any of those yet. Something to look for in the future updates I suppose.

Some of the broken pods are really easy to open, one just needed screws.

EDIT: oh, huh, looking at the wiki you need to find "caterium" ore and research it in the MAM to unlock this? Huh.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 20, 2019

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I believe miners produce ore for smelters at a 1:1 ratio, but supply containers with level 1 belts provide 2:1. I dumped 20 portable miners on an iron node and every once in a while use them to fill a nearby container that fills many others, and it's a pretty ridiculous setup.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Here's some of my spaghetti base, working on space elevator 2 now.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Atoramos posted:

I believe miners produce ore for smelters at a 1:1 ratio, but supply containers with level 1 belts provide 2:1. I dumped 20 portable miners on an iron node and every once in a while use them to fill a nearby container that fills many others, and it's a pretty ridiculous setup.
You can see all the relative rates if you look at the right things. Basic belts carry 60 things a second. It's the belts that determine the speed out of boxes. Miners produce varying amounts depending on the purity of the vein. Mine were actually making 120 a second, which I couldn't even pump out at that rate until I got better belts. A smelter can only take 30 ore per second, so you can split a saturated basic belt and feed 2 smelters.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I decided to make a separate screw factory and belt my screws to my rotor and reinforced plate assembly plants. PSA: don't do that, it is stupid, belt rods or ingots and convert locally. In hindsight you'd think I'd know not to belt screws since they're basically Factorio's copper wire but worse in terms of density.

I also discovered the joy of painting.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I had a quick go just now, finshed teir 0 but I can't place automatic miners. Well, the one on my limestone worked ok but the iron and copper near me won't. It just says "encroaching on others claim" or words to that effect. I rotated it all round but it dosn't like it. Maybe because they're right next to cliffs? I found one 400m away that it would go on but sod that for a lark.
I'll report it if it's not already in the bug list and wait for a fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I had a quick go just now, finshed teir 0 but I can't place automatic miners. Well, the one on my limestone worked ok but the iron and copper near me won't. It just says "encroaching on others claim" or words to that effect. I rotated it all round but it dosn't like it. Maybe because they're right next to cliffs? I found one 400m away that it would go on but sod that for a lark.
I'll report it if it's not already in the bug list and wait for a fix.

Did you clear the chunk on top that is pure?

Is there a tool later that clears the random rocks around? The chainsaw catches them if near a tree, but the ones without nearby help are a problem.