Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

You are all an inspiration. I'm new to the game, working on phase 2 and got some hypertubes. Seeing these posts is like looking at pictures on a menu when you're starving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Mailer posted:

I mentioned this before, but the game really is split between different genres. As a purely efficiency-driven factory builder it's not much of a game. You're supposed to go out and explore (which drives research and weapons) and you're supposed to make things pretty, both of which cause enough time to pass that instead of producing mass quantities upfront you accumulate them over time. Whether or not you are into that specific design is a personal thing, but this thread is full of people saying they just play the early game each update then burn out so it's not uncommon to just stop when the grind sets in.

I picked it up again this year and have cruised through two elevator tech, and have just set up my first nuclear reactors. It was a big grind and during it I came to this exact realization above. Somedays are for exploring, some days are for putting up walls and painting, or simply making a single train depot out in the boons.

On the exploration side of things, there certainly is a lot of love put into the details. I started this game in the most NW block (cant remember the name) and it took me until the last phase to fully explore it, and discovered massive interconnecting cave ruins below my various base, another inside a massive mountain, and with several exits I haven't discovered yet. I was off in the middle of the jungle exploring and accidentally fell into the abyss, a massive waterfall/hole that was so deep it filled with fog on my rig. To my surprise it wasn't death, it was a massive drop into another massive cave I'd never visited.

I think what you're saying is important, and some days you gotta pack your bag with enough supplies to make a few Hyper Canon's and biofuel reactors (to get home) and go flying all over the map exploring.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Saxophone posted:

I don’t suppose you unlock fast travel or teleporting or something at some point do you? This traveling by foot stuff is fine but the map is so huge I don’t know if I want to make the 20 minute slog home. But I also need hard drives….

I made my first hypercannon a month ago and yeah that's probably easiest way to explore large distances. Set up a blueprint, it becomes really easy to carry enough ingredients for a few and bio burners to just slap it down. Hell you could have a blueprint with the bioburner built-in for spontaneous power source. Bring some fuel with and you can shoot around the map pretty freely. Bring a parachute though if you aren't bringing jetpack fuel.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Really? That's glorious. I tried this specifically and found it wasn't working, assuming it would snap together like the floor version. I'll have to try again.

edit: that is exactly how it works, I was just too high to realize I was trying to put the floor stacker on the ceiling.. wondering why it wouldnt click

Faucet Drinker fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 11, 2024

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Klyith posted:

Nice details I'm inordinately pleased with.

Thank you for the lesson in steel frames. Just gorgeous. Clean. Everything clean.