Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Is there a guide aimed at teaching building efficiently somewhere?

Not building efficient buildings, I mean not wasting so much time doing tedious poo poo like connecting this pixel to that pixel.

Thinking I should be blueprinting a lot of smaller poo poo instead of trying to make big stuff that fits together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeah cheers. I feel a bit better after more tinkering, I think I was trying too hard making stuff with complex connections between. I have a lot of trouble with lifts not being connected and not finding out until I try to put stuff through it, not sure why, they looked connected, so I've been shying away from them.

Random stuff I just figured out - explosives can blow up some normal rocks too, not just the "destroy me" textured rocks. Great for those rocks poking through foundations.

Holding control while pointing at a splitter/merger replaces it with another splitter/merger. Could've used that hours ago.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Klyith posted:

They just added that pretty recently, you aren't crazy. When they added ctrl-to-swap for things like walls a while back it didn't work on splitters.

(Also you can use it to change to smart & programmable splitters. Also you can build merger / splitter boxes onto the bottom of another box rather than only the top!)

One set of my assembler blueprints had this for one of the lifts, it was maddening. Of course I only figured it out after I had built dozens of them in 3 different locations.

What happens is just the 1-pixel difference between "aiming at an I/O hole" and "aiming at free space", but when you're going click-click-click it can be easy to miss the little beep sound that tells you it has connected to something.

Thanks for pointing out that little beep, I never consciously noticed it when spinning elevator heads around.

I think it was something about the order of construction? I'm superstitious now and always replace elevators if I had to replace a splitter/merger it was connected to.

I've started making blueprints out of blueprints when I can. A pair of whatever, blueprint, test outside, then assemble the actual blueprint from that. From that I found out blueprint build mode is actually useful. After I started putting the ceiling/next floor into blueprints, they just snap to each other instead of pixel hunting and nudging.

Blueprint deletion mode is a godsend, I don't know how anyone managed before that was added. Kinda getting towards that efficient building I wanted.