Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dunno-Lars posted:

That was me and I agree with it being unreasonable.

Can someone post something about research tier 4, 5 and 6 in spoiler tags? A general overview maybe.
A bit curious on what is actually in the EA.

There's a wiki full of stuff. Far as I understand the higher tiers are even less nailed down than the lower ones, with a lot of things not yet implemented. Don't read too much into the hadron colliders and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Sheesh, where did my evening go?

Anyhow, gaze upon my early game spaghetti, ye spergy, and notice that it looks a lot like everyone else's, really:

Also, I still can't believe this coal truck path worked.

It's nice that someone has finally taken the incredibly nerdy factory automation genre and made a game where your coal munching pollution machines are all ridiculously photogenic.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

ymgve posted:

So far I like it, but they should either add a tier of automated energy between biofuel and coal, or they need to put a coal patch closer to spawn. Also, is there any tutorial about how you should learn your trucks to drive between depots?

The biofuel step isn't that bad if you do it right, the unfortunate part is that doing it right means intentionally not automating anything above plates, rods and wires, and even those lightly. You want to spend as much time as possible handcrafting and spend power only on fueling your manually made higher tier components to minimize foraging time, which means you can get through to coal on 4 or maybe 5 incinerators (including the hub ones) powering your basic products. I suspect that ideally you might not even want powered miners until coal since you can stack the unpowered portable ones on a single deposit and you can carry a lot of ore, though that seemed too annoying to contemplate.

That the best strategy for the first few hours of the automation game is avoiding automating things because doing them manually is easier isn't great. I do like that coal isn't conveniently located once you unlock it though, since I thought figuring out how the hell to truck it was a pretty fun puzzle.

As for how to truck, there are a couple of youtube videos but short version:
- Make a tractor. Load it with fuel from the tractor's built in workbench menu.
- Jump on to drive the vehicle, set "start recording" on the 'c' menu, and make sure that "show path markers" on the same menu is on.
- Drive around in circles for 20 seconds or so. You should notice that your car is pooping little blue arrows.
- Stop recording on the 'c' menu somewhere near where you started, enable autopilot and get out.
- Your truck should now drive around roughly as you just did, going roughly equally fast or slow, looping until it runs out of fuel or you hop on and take over.

Autopilot will not work when you are driving a vehicle. Try not to drive super close to dangerous things, the autopilot replay is pretty robust but it is not perfect. The ridiculous cliff ascent/descent my coal route uses seems to work consistently, but the autopilot will occasionally bump into a power pole that I brushed by or fail to get over some bump and reverse for a bit. It has consistently recovered from those errors so far, but I figure best not to tempt fate with any serious truck acrobatics.

For the stations themselves, truck stations have storage input/output and fuel input. Set one station to unload to trucks and belt something to storage in, set the other to load from trucks and put a belt from storage out. Put coal (or biofuel, if you really want) into the station fuel input for at least one of station. Record a truck driving from one station to the other and back. You don't need to stop at the station for longer than an instant, if at all.

E:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not sure how I feel about the 3D shift though. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful, but I wish that things would snap to the ground a bit more. My space elevator has one side that is about twenty feet off the ground because I couldn't find a good flat spot near where I started. It makes your factory look messy, which is a shame because looking smooth and efficient is half the fun

Pour more foundations over all that nasty terrain! My space elevator is likewise on a slope but I shoved 4000 m˛ of concrete under it. It looks pretty nice from a distance.

It's of course possible to overuse the foundation blocks and make a giant grid to cover the world which would be extremely boring. Please use foundation tiles responsibly, at a locally sensible and ideally jaunty angle.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 20, 2019

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Now that I have coal power automated I decided to spend the morning building overdesigned factory buildings for basic iron/copper stuff. Still haven't automated any higher tier assembly, although by now I really should.

The issue where decals get applied to a wall rather than the object behind them is real annoying.

On getting power into enclosed spaces, I ended up putting down a gate and dragging the power through it. It does seem like you should have some sort of wall/floor wiring, though.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

nielsm posted:

I have taken a bunch of screenshots with the P "photo" key, but where does it save those to?

Mine ended up in C:\Users\[me]\Documents\My Games\FactoryGame\Screenshots.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I decided to make a separate screw factory and belt my screws to my rotor and reinforced plate assembly plants. PSA: don't do that, it is stupid, belt rods or ingots and convert locally. In hindsight you'd think I'd know not to belt screws since they're basically Factorio's copper wire but worse in terms of density.

I also discovered the joy of painting.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Speedball posted:

I don't think berries and nuts regrow, though, do they?

They definitely regrow. I even chainsawed a nutbush that was in the way and it was back in an hour, and I've returned to previously spent bushes for healing a couple of times.

I think repopping plants do a clearance check like plopping buildings does so you don't get a tree growing back in the middle of a machine, but that's it.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

nielsm posted:

How much coal does a power plant actually consume?

Eating one coal takes 5.4s when running at 100%, which equates to 11.111... coal/minute. Incidentally, 5.4s to eat one coal means that a mk1 belt (and a 60 coal/s mine) can support 5.4 generators, which turned out to be an issue for my base.

Aside: apparently under/overclocking generators only changes their burn rate, but the J/item remains the same.

Glagha posted:

Just so I can be sure of how belt rates and splitters and everything works, if a miner is on pure and can mine 120/m, but normal belts can push, what, 60/m? So at most I can get 60 ore per minute out of that node no matter what until I get better belts right? Then if I split it, I have two belts pushing 30, or 3 pushing 20 correct?

Correct. You can however underclock the miner after researching your first slug, and set it to run at 50% for 30 items/second at 1/3 the power cost of an impure deposit doing the same. This is very useful when you're power limited, which is quite a lot of the time.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I went out exploring and found out how to get to the forest starting area from the plains, and the pink leaf forest, and assorted other things. The map is real big and seems very well designed to make stuff like coal interesting, I can't say I think the lack of procedural generation is going to hurt me any. Maybe I'll only play the game for maybe a hundred hours or so before thinking I've seen it all, how positively awful.

I also found some uranium ore, mined it and then got the full Marie Curie in 15 seconds flat. Pitchblende is apparently really potent on Satisfactoryworld.

I should probably get started on this "steel" stuff I've been hearing about.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

pokie posted:

I am pokie#3161 on Discord. If you prefer some other platform to connect on, let me know.

I'd like to try some multiplayer if people are up for it, Xerophyte#0377 on Discord. Could just make a server and link it here, but I have no idea if it's a real problem to do that publicly in Games rather than PGS or something.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Taffer posted:

Servers are P2P and invite only atm, so unfortunately a dedicated or public(ish) server is not a possibility.

Clarification: a Discord server, not a Satisfactory server. A lot of the threads in Games that have discords only put the invite links in PGS or PMs, since reading Games isn't paywalled. I have no idea if that's just paranoia or a legit necessary defense against getting flooded by bots or something.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Trucks are cheaper and higher throughput than belts for mid-length (>500m to maybe 1.5k? Depends on belt level vs truck level and all that) routes, assuming terrain isn't awful. Pretty sure the two intended limiters for truck routes is limited fuel capacity and that throughput will be kind of garbage if it's a long distance on a single vehicle. Not so much the autopilot itself.

We're ultimately supposed to handle long hauls with trains I expect but since they're not in you can try running relay if you really want to deliver something very distant. Make two (or more) stations at the half way point or something like that, where trucks from your the resource deposit unload into their stations, which belts all the goods to a loading station that is served by a second truck delivering to your base. I haven't set anything like that up, so no idea how annoying it is with fuel and all.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

We're trying to start a small goon game so I started a very basic goon discord server at https://discord.gg/JqNkas if anyone wants to join in (1 day link). Not going to go for more than the default 4 players, since apparently it gets super buggy. We'll see how it goes I guess.

E: Well, apparently it can get super buggy with 2 players: we crashed whenever someone scanned for minerals and so I quit like a quitter. Leaving the server running if anyone less transatlantic wants to poke pokie.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 25, 2019

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

nielsm posted:

Invite expired

Permanent link: https://discord.gg/pkKtsb6

I guess if we get invaded by terrifying SA-scraping advertisement bots we'll just have to deal with it. Or burn it all down. One of the two.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

One of the best things about SF is that you can build on something that's not a grid and I fully plan on writing a mod that lets you turn off the snap to angle/point for foundations and also adds random offsets/rotations to all placed buildings, assuming the modding is general enough to allow for it. Symmetry is a limitation for a weak mind, man.

Automated trucks are a) cool and b) much easier to set up than a long-rear end belt line IMO, but most distances aren't very long before oil. The monorails look like they'll be great.

Power is real annoying in a couple of different ways. Biomass is at least fleeting and can be powered through quickly if you focus, but the game should really either make it possible to either automate biofuel entirely very early on or force the use of coal before unlocking assemblers. Allowing the player to build assemblers without having coal power set up is purely a footgun as is. However, if there's one thing I really want it's powered walls and foundations that automatically transmit power to any structure built on them and wall/foundation they are attached to. The pole routing minigame is just no fun at all.

Ultimately, the game isn't trying to be an exact 3D Factorio, which is probably for the best. It's downplaying the entire mass scale factory logistics aspect in favor of just using small logistics puzzles as a method to force you to explore a (gorgeous) hand-crafted world and build pretty little factories on it. Enemies are only there as an exploration hazard that you need research and factories to overcome, not a survival aspect. Building placement remains purely manual, no botswarms sicne it's very hard to do that in 3D. Unlike Factorio I don't see myself coming back to do any repeat playthroughs after I've reached whatever the "end" of the game/techtree is and presumably explored most of the world in the process: I'm fine with that.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

tranten posted:

When you’re nearby the vehicle it drives between each arrow, but when you’re far away from it, it actually just teleports to each arrow so it usually only messes up and gets screwed up near your base (where you is!)

This was my first truck path:

It worked surprisingly great! ...as long as I was either watching the truck the entire way or if I was far enough away that it would teleport from arrow to arrow. Turns out that if I got back to the factory from somewhere else and caused the truck load in for full simulation while traversing that path it would be about a 50/50 on it falling down into the lake while trying to resolve the difference.

The waypointing system is still fine over reasonably flat terrain. The problem is that there are some fuzzy and ill-defined limits to what level of non-flat it can handle. You can't really tell if a path you've made is going to be problematic or not when you're making it or even by following the truck around afterwards, since paths mainly fail when you're not looking at them.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm following totaleclipse's "perfect starter factory" build to help learn and I'm double belting off of splitters and underclocking and I realize that he's doing load balancing, and I was just going to play the game with manifolds generally. How much do you guys gently caress with the output to get ratio perfect?

I just build a manifold and maybe underclock the last machine to fit the input. Clearly doing more than I do is obsessive, and doing less than I do is sloppy.

More seriously, if your goal is making stuff then worrying about exact ratios is a trap. Having factories idle a small portion of the time is not very costly, and the manifold startup time is negligible compared to the time spent playing the game. If your goals include having minimal startup time and perfect ratios then balance away. It's a game about satisfying the worms in your particular head.

Just be aware that the people on youtube who advertise doing that sort of thing -- presumably on a north-south aligned global grid where all angles other than 90 degrees are banned by international treaty -- as the One True Way To Play are wrong. It's just A Way To Play, and by whatever objective metrics exist not a very useful one.

Not that you are likely to want to play in the objectively useful ways either. I have had the 4package% speedrun running in the background while doing other things and its layouts still haunt me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Huh, I didn't realize Lumen support was, er, unsupported. Wonder if they'll change their minds on committing to that at some point, at least for performance if they don't want to mess with visuals

Lumen is very explicitly messing with visuals and nothing but messing with visuals. Ray-traced global illumination isn't likely to be something done for performance any time soon, even the hacky real-time VPL stuff appearing in games.

That's not to say thar Coffee Stain won't support it, I think presumably that's a goal since they took the time to put Lumen in the game. Doing so seems to have involved a decent amount of effort to get emissives working, some geometry tweaks to make the SDFs not leak like sieves, etc. I wonder how much Epic are pushing adaptation; Satisfactory seems like a good test for how flexible the system is so I assume the Epic engineers are curious to see how it works out.