Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I just started a new game just to play with new layouts / designs, in the grasslands which wasn't too bad

I did start making truck lines which will need to change with the next update. But a 'quick' game has me dozens of hours up to train unlocks and I guess I can play with some train stations since I never quite made them before.

Time to pick a spot for my new main base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Im surprised there is no power option between biofuel and coal. Sure its easy to get it up and running, but i dont have all the unlocks in place to make the coal area nice and its too ingrained to take it apart and redo it.

I (stupidly?) went for the rifle this playthrough, and it is god drat annoying to keep it loaded, but its my go to for the boss spitter/spider/lion. I wish there was more of a reaction when it hits so I can tell its working vs just burning ammo

...Also something to bridge the gap of jetpack vs blade runners. I really need the quick movement

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dear God, never enough of them loving screws. I think I'm gonna stake another iron+coal claim and make a huge factory that just makes screws.

My initial factory has like 5-6 rod constructors --> screws dedicated, and I was still running behind with just simple ranforced plate / rotor production. Getting the steel screw recipe was a god send and 1 almost replaces all of it (when i get around to it)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
it is a problem when a single machine needs 100/min. but the standard one only puts out 15 or 30

...and you want multiple machines. But I can see myself redoing whole factories when a new recipe comes in

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
depends on the node, but 60m/s coal (Normal?) will support 4 coal plants. and you need like 1.5 water generators for 4.

I usually end up building 8 power plants and 3 water extractors. Unless you start underclocking them and connecting them special, which i never bother with. As for distance, you really are at a function of the water height, as you need pumps to lift it, but i think once you lift it really high initially, you can return to that height at any point without pumps.... although that might need a valve to go in there somewhere.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm of the mindset to produce as many ore/ingots as my deposits can support. If my machines saturate, so be it, but I can see the appeal to switch from iron to steel use, even though I need the occasional machine making iron stuff plus iron screws are still big in my original factory

As soon as I figure out trains I'll rebuild properly somewhere else, like leaving enough room between machines, for more machines, proper belts, etc I started to do it that way, but for some reason decided to build machines nose to butt without future proofing

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I dont know what I want my playstyle to be. One way would be to make a huge platform and make each factory as big as it needs to be, and the other, which i lean towards, is to somewhat follow the land.

I think i will build a smelting area, that just has a port or 3 of output that feeds into another factory for processing ,etc. I just can;t figure it out in my head as of yet and dont want to get it 90% built and find i should have made it 1 block higher. Or just not care as i lose nothing by destroying it and remaking it ....

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Screws were a problem until I got an alternate one, now i have a industrial container full all the time. I automated modular frames early on, and I just hand pull them from a container, but i did just run a conveyor to the HMF assembler to somewhat run iut automated.

reinforced frames are still hand added, because i really dont feel like adding too many more truck stations to something that is changing and is basically a temp setup anyway. Just getting quartz for oscilators is annoying, and im already hand carrying plastic and rubber for computers and chips.

i keep telling myself a train would help me so much more .....

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Welp I guess im about to not start a new rail network. Time to pack it all away until the new update

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Im hoping we can access some of the building items a bit sooner. I would like to build a factory using conveyor walls vs a gaping hole sooner rather then later. Glass walls, etc I can wait a bit on, but its making my pretty factory when i start making them that way a hassle

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Klyith posted:

If you're starting a new game in the dune desert or north forest, the killer way to get a bunch of tickets right at the start is quartz. Mine the nearby quartz nodes, put down 3 or 4 constructors making quartz crystals, then throw the crystals into a sink. The whole setup runs on 2 bioburners, so it's easy to keep powered even in the early game. Running that for a bit more than an hour will give you the first 24 tickets, which can buy a good selection of the QoL essentials like ladders and wall outlets, plus some cosmetics of your choice.

Quartz crystals are just about the best tickets/power item in the game. The other really good one is AI Limiters, if you have access to caterium. (And if you're starting in the grasslands and aren't sequence breaking at all, wait for tier 3 and then start sinking Encased Beams.)

I (stupidly?) restarted a month ago in the basic grsslands. I like the start as I don;t need pure nodes ,etc and when i do, its probably time for a new factory anyway. But coal / quarts / cad is pretty annoying to get. I was really just trying out some build ideas and figuring out mechanics

I think I might just start update 5 in the desert (I was using N forest before)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

?? There are two pure coal nodes and two pure caterium nodes in the grassland start. It wasn't annoying to get at all.

Crystal is another story.

Yeah i tapped at least the one coal for local steel, but I ended up going far north down the huge hill to the lake to tap the 4 normal coal nodes for power and steel, because water was right there. Quarts was very very annoying to get in a cave even further north and i was desperate for truck revamps because making that route sucked.

Northern forrest start, especially if you travel just a bit farther gets you a bit more central located to everything and pure to start. I may just start in the same spot again just for reasons, and its honestly pretty open to make my initial spaghettis and just make platforms over it for proper factories, but i am in no way a power player and i avoid videos now because it seems like factorio, so many established ways to build

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I did rush some Sulphur because i wanted explosives (and the rifle) so i blew that rock right up. but i was using manual miners for a while on it

video update : was that door ever talked about before? is that a new reveal ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
and god drat signs. finally

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
dedicated servers are coming ....

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Patch notes have more reveals not mentioned anywhere that i have seen:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/qg9z5y/patch_notes_early_access_experimental_v0500_build/

Added two new variants for the Storage Box

Medical Storage Box
Hazard Storage Box

Green Power Slugs are now Blue Power Slugs

You can now manually and individually adjust the volume of every Factory Building and player Equipment to your liking

YEESSS : Conveyor Lifts now have an alternate build mode titled Reversed which reverses the direction of the belt for the Input/Output

Lots of nice QOL stuff i am enjoying. Especially the splitter / merge snapping as well

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I started a new game on U4 hoping to mesh right into U5 when I comes out, but right away I am bumping into the need for some things I dont feel like redoing later, so I just opened my save in Experimental.

.. and I crash out every couple min. Looking at the qa site it seems either moving to EX12 or unchecking conveyor experimental stuff made me much more stable, but i am getting crashes 20 min in. Looks like Im back to U4 and just sucking it up for a while.

game looks pretty though

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's also where you are supposed to realize you go out and explore/ build supply lines for hours and hours while this stuff runs in the background.

So when you come back to base you have that sweet sweet haul of 11 computers and 8 hmfs

:(

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I think it's mostly screws that make me cross

Everything else is fine, but Screws appear often enough in recipes, in their painfully high quantities, to make me go "augh not this again"

And I'm saying this having straight-up cheated in the Casted Screws alternate so I'm skipping rods! (get hosed, Dread Arengee)

I got a hard drive with steel screws I went from several rods --> screws constructors making 40/min to a single one producing 260/min. I was filling up an industrial container so quickly that it could have replaced all my existing screw production. That was a good recipe to have, and I think there are still others that eliminate screws from the mix. Collect those easy hdds and save them until you unlock steel so it has a chance to appear early

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I restarted for U5 and I have to say i like the 'beginner' grassland start. There are 2 initial impure iron right there, but 3 more normals right across a large open area, and 2 more impure not far from that. It really covers a lot of inefficient factory early on, and its pen enough that i can truck in a bunch more. Near-ish was a large area for coal production, so my early power was taken care of. There is a nice pure iron there so steel was easily made there as well.

I think the only annoyance was quartz, but shortly after that I was gathering resources to make trains and picking out my new base spot

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Isnt there 1 extra HDD out there then all the current alt recopies ? if the wiki is accurate?

So its a matter of very bad luck if you are not getting 'good' alt ones. But there are a lot of ones not to bother with that would be pointless to unlock pre steel and again at oil to lower your chances, forcing you to get harder and harder drives

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Whomever suggested the switch to vulkan had me working for hours with no crash, but I did have to lower my resolution to 1080 from 1440. No choice at higher

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is everyone porting their u5 game over from experimental to EA or will we just be able to open our Dave on EA and have it just... Work?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I started a new game on experimental to get a head start on the new stuff, but in the grasslands. I find the iron nodes around really work well early on, and I would tap even more, but biofuel power really doesn't lend itself to a sprawling factory when assemblers come into play.

I have iron ore in the wings to ramp up modular frame production but I just can't bring myself to build more fuel burners. I did just get 4 coal plants online that really let me shift away, and the next 4 will let me expand, but the next debate is to use all that coal for power or shunt some off for steel as well

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have 8 plants currently running in the lake near the grasslands. Using two normal coal mines mk1.

There is a pure iron node right there and one more coal I can tap into (the other needs a rock blasted off). For some steel there, but since it needs 45 ore and coal and this only makes 60 ATM, it's going to be one full and one slow smelter.

There is coal on the other end of the grasslands, and I realize it's also near a lot of iron, but in multiple impure nodes. I might just make a small steel plant there and ship the ingots back to base. Between the two of them I can get a good jump on steel items.

I remember reading an old comment about shifting you factory over as you progress. I really don't need to ramp up plate and renforced plate production, but I need to start looking at frame and rotor production to go up. And eventually motors, etc. I want to try and build more assemblers and make it faster then just slowly watch one chug away.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
... that's what I was describing? I started my first 8 generators there, but the quartz to the far north is a bit annoying to truck. Unless the new mechanics make it a little more reliable.

My debate was to use it all for power, or tap the pure iron node and some coal for steel. But that will need mknii miners to make more then a token amount and trucking steel up that steep path kinda sucked before

I'n my last game it was just baby steps before I got trains and was scouting out areas to build my better main factory and keep these as satillite productions

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Klyith posted:

Oh, if you're talking about the deep lake to the north-west of the grasslands, that's different. I figured the coal you were looking at was the 2 pure nodes on the southern edge of the grasslands. (Which only has a tiny pond nearby to get water from.)

In that case I'd say it depends where your main base is and how you want to expand. But if you want to do steel production at your main base, there's coal to the south of the grasslands that's much easier to fetch with a tractor.

ok gotcha, I never really explored the south too well and I refuse to pull up the map website as I like to discover the game as i play. I still havent been most places on the map.

I will most likely leave the deep lake as power and slight steel production, and build a satellite steel near the other coal in the SW. Only because of the oodles of iron, and steel will be more needed vs basic iron really soon.

Im trying to grab some alternate recipes to take advantage of it as well, but so far I have kind a crappy pulls. Well the iron wire has helped a bit since my starting copper is pretty slow, and cast screws are helpful to save some power since i dont need extra iron rod production, but i am on the cusp of moving everything to mk3 belts which will let me combine a few lines but meh, its working now.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is it viable to truck multiple types of things in a single load? Or am I required to have a station for each product?

I have stators made at one end of the building line cutting across the map, and encased beams at the other. Somewhere in there I want to push sulphur around and bring coal to everyone

I think it's possible but it's going to need smart splitters, but can you tell a station not to offload x, only y, and have a truck just wait it's time and move on if nothing is added or removed?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
But one of the perks of the new train stuff was that you can have a train with multiple materials, and it will drop off only the specified material at the specified station.

I was hoping to make a loop of trucks that would bring items brim a to b to c and back again, but if a truck with steel pipes and black powder is going to off load both at each station, rather then powder at one and pipes at another, then yes, I can see multiple truck stops

Can they be in a line? I'm thinking that if item a is not completely unloaded at the first station, it will continue at b. This is made simple with smart splitters but I am a ways from having them, and I want items moved sooner vs later. I'm closer to just having trains to it all vs a smart splitter at this point it seems

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Uggh. The absolute slog that quartz and related stuff is just sucks.

Really debating paving a asphalt road for my cross country trucking but meh.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have caterium, just not automining since i need to blow the rock off the patch first. Grabbing 100 ore from the miner as i run past is working for now. And yes, blade runners are something i rush too

I am pretty much mk1 poles everywhere, but i do occasionally plop a mk2 down as the nexus for the factory and miners, etc. I just need more then 4 connections on a corner or 2, and its neater then multiple poles.

I am NOT looking forward to crystal oscillators, and eventually plastic / rubber. I need to think about doing stuff different then before waiting forever for enough. I need to get at least the next scanner level so I can grab more HDDs, if at least to get steel screws because screw (ha!) the default recpies when you need hundreds / min for each assembler

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
U5 is on EA as of a couple hours ago? Any new patches or issues before i cut over ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I am reviewing the U5 patch notes overall, and I swore i saw this in an update video, but I cant find the details: Wasn;t it said/made that you can snap splitters/merges to conveyor lines now, or maybe even add them in place? I remember that, along with lift reversal as a HUGE QOL thing and i cant seem to get it to work, or even find a reference to it

edit: yeah in this thread i wrote during the U5 livestream :

quote:

Green Power Slugs are now Blue Power Slugs

You can now manually and individually adjust the volume of every Factory Building and player Equipment to your liking

YEESSS : Conveyor Lifts now have an alternate build mode titled Reversed which reverses the direction of the belt for the Input/Output

Lots of nice QOL stuff i am enjoying. Especially the splitter / merge snapping as well

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 23, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I will try it again explicitly, but on U5 i explicitly took a splitter and tried to add it to an existing belt run. it was considered soft clearance and the original belt kept going as usual, and the splitter wasnt actually connected.

unless you mean belt ends to splitters/mergers, in which case that is less useful as that would be the exact same thing as placing all the splitters first, then connecting belts

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Regarding awesome unlocks, I do feel I am capable of building a 'final' factory but before I have the unlocks to make it pretty. I have to grab a couple more things before I make a bigger more expandable steel plant on the grasslands.

I usually shunt copper sheet into the sink early on which gets me a good number of tickets, but there seem to be a huge gulf between that point and the ai limiter which let's you make smart logistics. Even then there also seems to be a gap in buffer storage, I don't want an entire storage container before I start splitting off to a sink, and some stuff never gets anywhere near that, like reinforced plate.

I set up a couple stations but I have yet to even bother setting up the truck route, because I know I'll have to clear it out for multiple stations sooner then later, but I'm about to open up trains.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
1/2 a storage container of encased industrial beams really poo poo my ticket count up, so I have most of what I need for my better factory redesign.

Coal power doubled to 1.2gw and much cleaner with through the floor holes

Next is starting the truck routes to start bringing in everything from remote sites, then maybe a large steel factory in the grasslands to feed my increased steel needs. Oil just got unlocked so that is going to be a whole thing

Question: what exactly do I need for hard drive scanning? I have the upgraded scanner from the mam, and I have maps, and I have all the alien unlocks, but I just can't select crash sites as a choice

Is it radio frequencies scanning?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, truck routes seem to work, but JFC guys why did you make the default option when entering the 'V' menu to be 'start recording' ?

I JUST finished setting up a long route from my grassland start to my quartz node (and back!) and i had the truck sitting idle until i can refuel and set up future fuel. Quickly tapped V with the intent to start the autopilot, but i slipped and closed the menu, but it apparently started recording again.

I went in and cancelled, and tried to load the previous path, and its not there, nothing is saved. That menu should default to cancel as not to erase all the work i just did. I am a tad unhappy

EDIT : i see i need to explicitly save, whoops

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 28, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
several hours after i set up truck routes, I just deleted them all, and the stations, and the trucks.

One was annoying to bring stators to the main plant, and a longish conveyor line was better as it was close (and im redoing steel there)

quartz is pretty much not used now that my unlocks are done, and i could have just driven a manual load a couple times to same the trouble. Not worth setting it up early on.

Sending frames to my remote site stopped being useful since i can just up the iron production and make them on site for heavy frames, and my original factory can put them into space elevator parts

I was about to set up plastic and rubber transport lines, and i was not looking forward to driving that, especially since i was about to add a THIRD station to send fuel around. Its worth it to unlock trains in a bit and just do it properly. I really think trucks need a better use as a middle ground between ful on train and just walking it back manually.

Also, why is the creterium ore scanning SO far down the tech tree ? Ive been using it for so long

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ahh true I was scanning for it early on don't know why it's listed like it is, just feels odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
trying my hand at a quaint little steel ingot factory. capable of handling a full mk3 incoming belt of coal/iron. and drat you can make this pretty small.

Seeing how pretty I can make it with some of the U5 stuff.