Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are vehicles prone to causing connection drops and/or crashes on the dedicated server? Windows 11, server obtained via steam, I'm just running it directly, not as a service or anything. We've been having a ton of crashes today and we were just getting into vehicles, seems suspicious.

Also, due to one of those crashes, which stripped a player of all his items, I think the boombox ended up out of bounds and the server console is spamming this a hundred times a second:

Is there any way to edit the save and fix this? I'm worried it's contributing or outright causing the crashes.

Otherwise, game is tons of fun, even without any apparent story or plot beyond being a 1st person cookie clicker. Even better with a full party on deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Awesome, thanks. Will give it a go once everyone’s off.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tried to find the offending item in that tool, no luck. But, based on the above feedback, we decided to just drop the dedicated server and if anyone wants on, I'll fire it up directly. Loaded the dedicated server's save up in single player and had people join, everything seemed fine, all our progress was there, everyone had their stuff, and a couple of us hit the desert in buggies and they were very nice and smooth, not jumping all over. Guess that's just how it is. Not great, dedicated is definitely preferred, but not if it ruins the game.

Now I just need a way to permanently chase off the walking balloon critters.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 18, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There are definitely areas with different slug distribution. I’m pretty new to this but west of the northern dunes there’s a shallow swampy area, waterfalls pouring out of spires and such, pretty big area, really an entire zone, and I couldn’t believe how many higher grade slugs were chilling all over in there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No clue what that is, but it sounds important.

My group is slowly working our way through the game for the first time, so this is all new to us. One guy likes to prospect, another guy likes to run infrastructure, and the third likes to close production lines. Dovetails very nicely. For my part, I like to optimize and retool once things are established.

With that in mind, I've been working on our power plant, we were due for an upgrade/replacement. I had planned on quadrupling our coal burners, we have thesupplies for it, especially once we threw sulfur in the mix. So I planned water and such for 32 burners, up from the previous 8. Unfortunately, I found out halfway through the build that the blocked out airspace above a coal generator goes alllllll the way up its exhaust. I had planned to stack 'em, that won't happen now. Still, I can do the 16 on the ground floor just fine, and with what we have available (we're only part way through phase 3, so MK III belt and MK II miners), I can run the whole thing off one pure coal vein, with some sulfur thrown in. If I rework the plumbing, I could boost everything 200% with the water available, so maybe it's fine with the 16.

Anyhow, it's my first attempt at actually making the thing aesthetically pleasing. I always rig things up all nice and tidy, but I don't actually bother trying to wrap a building around any of it unless necessary for layout. Here I attempted both. Someone had posted their own plant and part of it was pipes running below the walkways. I liked that, so I took some inspiration from that.

Minimal lighting, just down the middle. Nice rarely-inhabited warehouse vibe.

Catwalks at various levels for equipment inspections I guess. I specifically wanted the inputs at the front for interest, so routing things in a satisfactory (lol) way was crucial. Water is routed through the floor and comes up from below, coal is routed around the perimeter behind the burners, passes over the top of each, and drops down from above.

I like the darker rafters above.

Catwalks around the perimeter, including into the unlit corners, makes those parts feel extra removed.

I'm kind of in love with the pipes packed into a crawlspace beneath glass floors.

They all come in stacked neatly at one end. Indicators on there so they can be assessed at a glance, ended up with kind of a dashboard feel, visible from the majority of the plant floor.

The water supply. Tidy and expansive, at least for our game so far. I'm providing more than twice as much water as I need, so we'll see what happens next with the place.

Was waiting to paint until I'd really settled everything in. Now I just gotta pick a color scheme for the whole thing and go hog wild. I like the white/black combo, but also maybe some water-related colors. I dunno. Fortunately the game's swatch system helps with color-tinkering.

Still learning what does and doesn't work as we go along, always end up re-re-re-building things before finally settling on an approach. But of course, each time I do that, I learn a little more and the next attempt goes more smoothly.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 21, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks! And please do.

e: It's not like everything is so tidy...

Although even that isn't bad compared to our initial attempts. Honestly works pretty well.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 21, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I hadn’t pulled a 4am night in a looooooong time until this game showed up. I’m in my 40s, I can’t do that poo poo anymore.

Fortunately, I went on holiday break for a couple weeks starting mid-week. RIP.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crazy, have a couple hundred hours in and never once did I get a crash. The dedicated server crashed or had issues all the time, but the game itself was fine, and switching to serving from that fixed everything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Add the parachute in that mix and you’re golden. What a fantastic way to cross huge spans, and it seems to be improved by the blade runners maybe? I can’t recall.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kinda super pleased with how the base level of the new fuel-based power plant came out.

Going up, there'll be space for as many floors of 8 generators each for as high as I want to go.

Crawlspace, it's important to build on a solid foundation:

The pipes will get tidied up once I finalize their entry into the space. Or maybe they won't! Chaos in a crawlspace is a certain aesthetic.

e: OH GEEZ a friend off-handedly suggest I make the floor drain there a hypertube entrance. The ground is right there but I've already been clipping pipes underground to bury them under train tracks, why not do the same with people? IT TOTALLY WORKS AND MAKES FOR AN AWESOME ENTRANCE

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 30, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Geez, it looks great with the lights and walls installed,

But when I turn the lights on for level 2, the lighting just on that level blows out and the framerate tanks by a third.

But I mean, come on, this thing was born to run multiple levels!

So, so many levels...

Also, haven't settled on a color scheme yet, but I did at least paint it up so I can trivially remix. Might pick a different wall texture, too.

Anyhow, it seems the game is fine with 8 or so lights, gets cranky by 16. 3080 10GB @1440, although I do have everything maxed out. Ah well.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 30, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nope, just the floor grid from foundation blocks, and the fact that it’ll snap placement but still allow a 45 on adjacent blocks.

That is, I used the 45+foundation snap to make the ring, then everything is built as an extension from that.

e: that is to say, I did it the hard way, piece by piece

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 30, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheJadedOne posted:

working on an all in one factory, using blue prints and not even trying to make it pretty, it is so much work.. you are a mad man

Also I have been using signs as a light source in tunnels and stuff. They do decently since they snap to walls and don't need power. Not sure if that is an option or if I am digging a grave for my save.

A lot of the design doesn't come out until all the segments are going together, in context. I find myself tearing out a single aspect through all copies to make a minor tweak after I see how it all goes. If blueprints can do that, I'm an idiot. But I haven't even looked at that system yet. :haw:

Klyith posted:

Are you running in DX12? I have areas with that many lights and decent frames even with a much lesser GPU.

Though possibly the lights have more performance loss when they overlap? That could make sense, I think I've seen something like that before. I always try to space out my lights.

Yeah, I'm on 12. I hadn't noticed this anywhere else, it was just when I slammed that second bank of 8 lights on over top of the first 8. They are all shining in the same place, so I'm sure it has to do lighting calculations x16 for a lot of that space.

In the end, though, I found an alternate solution: I just put a ring of downward-pointing wall lights at the very top of the tower. Works fine for the look of the thing. A bit dark in the corners at night but that's okay, and it lights up the inside nicely so that from a distance at night, you can see the light shining out between the segments, very space-lighthouse vibe. Lights the interior, and keeps me to 8 lights total in that space.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think huge glass walls make literally every structure better. That and catwalks. Nice! Also I know the spot you’re talking about, that’s where I set up my first real power plant when I played solo. It’s an awesome spot!

And then when me and a buddy were doing a run before the rest of our crew joined, I cut down every tree and bush in that entire valley and paved it completely flat. :getin:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheJadedOne posted:

Did you use any kind of blueprints to build that? like is each generator section a blueprint?

Real glad you called me out on this. I was looking at our production lines and realized we were generating fuel solely as a byproduct, so it was taking three extractors to power the one plant from heavy residue->fuel. Did the math and realized that if I took just one extractor on a normal deposit producing diluted fuel, I could power like FOUR of these towers. Which I then immediately decided I want to do. Multiply that even further if I upgrade the whole thing to turbo fuel.

The blueprint designer has more space than I thought. Turns out I can, in fact, fit one section of one floor within the bounds.

Close fit height-wise, but that's fine, they stack nicely, with just a few cross-segment hookups to follow with after dropping each one. This is gonna be nuts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Finally.

By far, the biggest drag was tearing down the old one in order to rebuild (bigger) using the blueprinted segments. No zoop mode there. :negative:

128 fuel generators in total, burning 1600 fuel a minute, for just shy of 20kMW.

Might add two more.

e: While we're here, a small extended tour of the basement is in order. You can see the entrance at the base of the tower in the above pic.

Welcome to Station 2!

We'll be having a look inside the tower utility corridor today, please watch your step.

In the event of an emergency, please look for the vertical red bars indicating the exit through which you just came.

Don't be alarmed: while the design aesthetic may seem to indicate a certain risk, we now build our towers with 100% less Darth Vader than previous generations.

Okay, who let the techbros in here? NO PHOTO SHOOTS ALLOWED.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 7, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mischievous Mink posted:

I have the motivation of that VR injector thingie now,

Also in my list to try to figure out this weekend. Trip report/notes if you come up with anything, please!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think water sloshes in the pipe and can have interesting effects. Valves can largely alleviate this, and pumps can help pack it in where you want it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Turn on the sprint toggle option instead of hold to sprint and just always be sprintin’

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would just like to be able to use stackable supports as the default on-ground support when building new belts, ffs. :negative:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Deki posted:

I'm a little surprised there are no 1.0 leaks yet.

I would really like to know the scale of what's to come beyond the reasonable assumption that SAM and the collectables will do something.

I thought they explicitly stated SAM was going away. Maybe collectibles, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah, I mis-remembered, then. Thought they’d said SAM at least was out in favor of finishing the game on the timeline they wanted.