Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Magus42 posted:

I don't. I will ignore most games if they require something other than Steam.

I would pay more to have the game on Steam. Instead I have to wait a year :(

Wait it's only a timed exclusive? It's coming to steam eventually? Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Cobbsprite posted:

I smelt the ores on-site (or as near as possible) and conveyor the ingots out to sub-factories.

Back Hack posted:

I just place smelters next to whatever is being mined and then have trucks pick the ingots or whatever and deliver them to a giant storage building next to my central factory or a secondary site.

Do you do it this way just to save space at your actual base? It can't be about efficiency of transport, since one iron/copper ore smelts into one ingot.
EDIT: pretty happy to see wall power plugs in that video

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 31, 2020

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Next update is coming to experimental on tuesday.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

euphronius posted:

The first space elevator specific item - I forget what it is called - is useful to dump for coupons

Tubes are extremely cheap. You just need very basic steel and copper

I've been using craterium wire as my coupon dump

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm just checking here to be sure, but I'm right in thinking there's no way in the game right now to automatically put down conveyer belts with the stackable conveyer pole attached to it right? It seems like a very simple quality of life issue that I wish they would implement. Also, give us conveyer poles that attach to ceilings.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I haven't played this game as much as most people here, so I was wondering, if you need to transport a resource to your base, what distance is the point where you decide to use a truck or a train, rather than belting or plating them in?
The farthest I've gone so far is piping oil in from 2km away, it was a bit of a hassle to lay a 2km pipeline through the jungle, but it still seemed preferable over building trains (which I haven't researched yet) or trucks.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

They need to add Factorio's "place power poles automatically behind you as you drive your car around" feature; just nobody mention Factorio when suggesting it

And while they're at it allow us to make t2 power poles the default

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I've been making some very slow progress in update 3 (too many games to play), when I got to oil and started creating byproducts from refining oil into plastic I assumed I'd find a way to use them with T6, but instead now I'm creating more byproducts from refining fuel. Am I missing something obvious, or are those recipes only found on hard drives?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWUBpeSuVI

Looks like something that takes input from up to 2 pipes and belts and outputs into belts.
Animation is on point though, really pretty.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They've said in Q&A streams that they're not even thinking about DLC for Satisfactory yet let alone a full sequel. The game is taking a long time to develop but I don't think that's on account of the devs splitting focus.

Have they given any indication of when 1.0 could be or maybe how many updates they envision before 1.0?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Qubee posted:

So I've gotten back into Satisfactory. The farthest I ever got was Tier 2 and then Coal Power. I have officially passed that.

What is up with the LOD settings? I have it set to Ultra but stuff starts looking and acting very strange and I don't even walk that far away for the LOD to kick in. Basically stuff about 20m away will start becoming choppy and low-detailed. It's especially noticeable with the Tier Rocket thing that flies up and down. If I'm away from it when it's animating, it's just a slideshow presentation. Any clue as to how I can fix this? I get it's most probably hardcoded for performance, but my base is still early on and I think my PC can handle rendering things in full detail for the time being.

PS: Are tractors useful?

For what it's worth, there's a youtuber I really like who is doing a beginner-friendly playthrough which is very step-by step. He is only updating it once a week atm, and isn't as far in the game as you are.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCmmkwcxcfMiZgRyuqxN2vqGkcqFWChXh

PS: I have not found tractors useful.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Roundboy posted:

I could not wait for patch 8 to release to the standard branch so I decided to start a new playthrough in experimental and just port it over.

The deep valley between just deforestation to get enough throughout to make enough parts to get the first elevator part and then to coal is soooo deep.

It used to be better, when coal plants didn't require water, I can kinda see why they did it, it's useful to get new players acquainted with pipes before they have to start building oil and plastic setups, but I wish there was a way to automate power generation between the solid biofuel and coal stage, like an MK2 biomass generator that has a belt connection.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Qubee posted:

Wait, I started a new save a few days back and am up to Tier 3 but it wasn't experimental. If I swap to experimental branch, do I have to restart? Or can I just play my current save. Will I miss out on any features if I don't restart?

I thought Update 8 was the latest update, is experimental branch an update ahead or what.

Experimental is on 8, early access is on 7. I get the occasional crash on experimental (once an hour or so), but other than that it's probably a good time to switch to the newer version.
I think you use the same saves between the two, so just switch to experimental in the steam client. I think some terrain got changed between 7 & 8, so make a backup somewhere of your save files just to be sure. Your performance might take a hit, since update 8 is on unreal engine 5, so you'll have to adjust some settings.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

neato burrito posted:

I am on a decently low-end computer and Experimental branch now runs just as well (if not better) as the Update 7 did. I did have one instance of losing my inventory after loading a game up, but it was only 90 or so batteries, no big deal.

I think that was a bug with you respawning as a new player in your own game after a patch. If you remember where you were before it happened there should be a player character there that you can kill and loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I would just like to be able to use stackable supports as the default on-ground support when building new belts, ffs. :negative:

Or at least have them snap to the small support regular belts have.