Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Gadzuko posted:

There's no need to centralize because there is no benefit to doing so.

The main resource sinks in Satisfactory are:

New structure construction
Unlocking milestones in the Hub
Unlocking new tiers in the Space Elevator
The literal sink

Of these, only one of the four can be performed in multiple locations at once. New construction only occurs near the player and you cannot place multiples of the hub or elevator. Resource extraction can certainly be distributed but resources must always be brought to the hub/elevator and be collected into depots accessible to the player. Folks are building megabases and factories because this is a game about building factories. The comparison to Factorio is slightly unfair but very much warranted. Factorio has different styles and mindsets, nevermind being a 2D procedural world vs 3D 'hand crafted' etc etc but the focus is rightly so on the player experience and tools, broadening in scope and capacity as the player, their factory, and their research progress all grow. Satisfactory has a lengthier period stuck in caveman-mode and currently seems will always force the player to build new capacity by hand, but it is still a game about factories and industry. There are traversal tools (available too late in my opinion) but this is still a big world requiring the player to travel from A to B and C, moving resources along with them.

I'm not sure I would say I want a 3D Factorio, but the care and thought (nevermind the technical ability and polish) shown by Wube (Factorio devs) should be an example to development teams everywhere. I want Satisfactory to be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Eiba posted:

This game isn't Factorio, despite the similarities. It's got different design priorities, especially at the start.
The end result is an unmistakable feeling that "automation is a relief from pain". It feels good to automate.
Yes, Satisfactory forces you to do things manually early on, but this is not the same thing as teaching you not to automate. Ask yourself this: did you enjoy doing things manually? Satisfactory shows you that automation is a relief from tedium. It doesn't just force you to automate like Factorio, it teaches you why automation is good.
Obviously the exact level of inconvenience vs automation is a balancing act, and if you think they took it too far, that's fair. But it's obviously a deliberate choice with a specific goal.

I think these are decent opinion but you're starting from a point where you suggest that intentionally inconveniencing and causing issues for the player is a good thing. I think it's ... probably okay, from a progression standpoint, but I think it could be done better. Giving the player a sequence of more impressive and capable tools as progression I think works better than including a manual caveman stage.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Given that the resources involved in truck creation are pretty minor, I would just construct/deconstruct my truck as needed when on exploration journeys.

At least, until my inventory filled up and I needed the trunk.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I love it.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

priznat posted:

Yeah exploring using raised platforms is my way now, especially with the mod that lets you build a lot of platforms/walls in one go! Really streamlines things.

Pardon, but where can this mod be found?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

The Postman posted:

Huh, just found out you can change the default palette and change every unpainted building with one click!

Indeed! This applies to every colour-set you apply to your various constructions. That's the real magic, that by editing colour palettes you can shift existing structures.

It would be better if they removed the ammo requirements and turned the relevant unlock into some sci-fi handwavium like "manipulate the chameoleoplastic coating on all FICSIT structures to optimise your production efficiency using this handheld tool".

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

That sounds excellent in a very dumb way and I heartily commend you for it.

Send imagery.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

“the wiki” posted: posted:

(Respawn logic line 3) The creatures with their spawn point only active at night, must wait to be spawned at least once then be killed, even if all the above criteria are fulfilled before the first night.

I've been puzzling over this sentence for a bit. Does it mean that some creatures will only come out at night, and then have to be killed and a building placed to prevent future respawns?

Maybe?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Here's a stupid way to reliably break the game in the current experimental build:

I love that your answer to "Factory carts are hard to drive off road" was build a skyway in the clouds and make the access and exits out of jump-pads and controlled falls.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Wyld Karde posted:

There's a followup on Jace's personal channel.

In case anyone is curious, but not curious enough to watch both clips; Jace is leaving his post as one of the community manager for Satisfactory because he wants to try to make his own games instead of working on someone else's game. Big step, but sounds like a healthy choice, and I wish him well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I really like the enclosed conveyor belt tracks, and also the half-exposed machinery on that intro photo. Really well done!