Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The best sign of the direction of this game, IMO, is that you get craftable jump pads and landing pads early on. There's a lot of effort to make the game feel good in 3D, rather than just be 3D factorio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
agreed, imo the worst part of the game is that the progression is skewed a bit slow. That plus the onerous circuit-keeping minigame makes building your factory out feel a lot more of a chore than factorio (it's already naturally harder due to being 3d.) That being said, there's more of an exploration element to the game, so you have something to do while you wait for your factories to trundle along (or you can push ahead and make a shitload of miners, chore-like circuit watching be damned)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
well, good news: the first unlock in t3 is coal and coal plants, which can be automated.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Someone mod inserters in tia

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you have 'upgrade packs' you have to furnish with a b and c numbers of x y and z goods.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

A small tip for grid based folks: you do not have to fully platform under the space elevator. I made a single foundation “path” out into an open area and rotated the elevator until I found the terminal side and placed that on the last foundation.

The supports/pylons of the elevator that isn’t touching the ground will extend nicely below it and look fine and you still get to have that on a grid without spending all of your concrete forever.

How much cosmetic stuff is there later in the tree? I can only do so much with only walls and walkways.

What I need is options to build a control room in the center of a massive open factory that has displays and controls of every line, but I’m going to need cushy office chairs and coffee makers if it’s going to work.

the devs were pretty responsive to suggestions during the closed alpha - send this feedback their way and maybe it'll wind up in the game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ratzap posted:

For a game about automation, the power side is pretty weak. Each mine/smelter/constructor costs 12ish MW to run and those power towers are limited to 4 connections so I haven't tried seeing if you can share the supplies somehow yet. I spend most time between upgrade hurdles gathering stuff for the generator gods - It feels like I'm burning more leaf per day than all the hippies in California combined.

this is the worst decision i think they make about the early game and i hate it BUT: you will very quickly outgrow this once you get to coal.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
very excited to be dealing with liquids in 3 dimensions. please let me build an archimedes screw.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dang did they change it so you don't have to keep all of your power on separate lines to keep from tripping the breaker? I just got all the way to coal doing it the old fashioned way

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No, it definitely was how it worked in the alpha. You couldn't string different power plants together - each had their own independent breaker

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh, well, It's never been the case for the public release. I was not very early on the closed alpha.

no prob, i'm just glad to know they fixed it at some point. I dropped off a while before it got to anything like the public release because it met my internal barometer for "good bones but needs polish." now seems like a good time to dive back in. they have indeed polished a lot!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
are there blueprints in this game yet? The only thing holding me back from really engaging with the game is how laborious building in 3d is. I always get coal set up and get exhausted with it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
a truly bizarre kind of literalist thinking involved in thinking the core gameplay of satisfactory is the clicking and building parts of putting things together, and not the thought behind choosing where to put things and how to connect them.

That would be like thinking that the primary ability involved in playing civ or crusader kings is clicking on buttons and reading menus. Technically that is involved, but that's not what you're *doing*. And the most recent iteration of Crusader kings was eplicitly designed to take the difficulty or reading menus out of it as much as they could. Your brain isn't sitting in your finger tips in the same way that it is in an action game that relies on twitch response.

I'm not advocating for a magic wand to whisk all of my problems away when building larger factories, but I super don't want to just repeat myself 50x times when building the prereqs for something like a heavy modular frame or whatever. *especially* since so much of the game involves obviating other possible difficulties to blueprinting - you can literally build castles in the sky if you want to, never engaging with the problem of making something fit into a given space - and that's basically considered the Way To Play The Game!

If anything, a blueprinter that only worked on enclosed buildings with a defined input and output would actually make building enclosed, tightly designed factory spaces more important and put an emphasis on on the mechanics of building in 3d space. I don't need to hold in my conscious mind the ratio for iron ingots to rods to screws when I'm building something in tier 5.

In fact, the way that you acquire new recipes semirandomly throughout the game would perfectly mesh with a blueprint-style system, or something like it. the optional new recipes you get allow you the opportunity to go back and refactor old designs, giving you that pop of satisfaction as you revisit an old building block and allowing you to replace it in newer designs to be more efficient.

Instead the game feels like the video game equivalent of programming using notepad instead of a real text editor or IDE.

Peewi posted:

The only mass building feature I'd really want is being able to drag out a row of identical buildings instead of having to line up the snap for each. At least for foundations if not for production buildings.

More than that, I'd want to be able to place splitters and mergers directly on building inputs and outputs.

Also, fixing splitters/mergers placed on conveyor lifts being placed inside the conveyor lift.

edit: A compromise like this would be perfect. Let me drag and drop walls, foundation, constructors, etc.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yea honestly the very early part of satisfactory really feels bad compared to sae the same in factorio because you have a number of ways of trying to get around the problems of slow belt throughput in factorio by using inserters and various tricks to get more out of your belts, but you don't have the same ability push through problems in the early moments of satisfactory.