Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

Unfortunately, T4, which is not accessible for the weekenders, is when things start to really take off. That's when you get access to coal/coal power which is the first time you can stop caring about / having to manually feed your generators.

Coal is Tier 3, it's in the alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Each pole can only have 4 connections.
So you can really only connect it to at most two buildings, because you need one connection to get power from, and one to transfer power to the next pole.
There's no need for redundancy, a single line can transfer unlimited power.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is there currently any way to make a rebreather or a gas mask to deal with the poison gas? That's the main thing that usually got me to abandon an area.

There's a gas mask, but it's in a higher tech level.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

That's a Feature, I thought? It lets you try to import your steam friends list when you first sign up.

But they do it in a way that seems suspicious (copy a file from the users steam installation that also contains all your games and playtime and (weakly) obfuscate that copy), instead of using the official Steam API to get the friends (like all other services).
And based on file creation dates, they already did that weeks before the "import your steam friends" feature was added to the launcher.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yes, there's a gas mask

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

My one issue is that it's on the epic games store. Have they said anything about it coming to steam at all? :ohdear:
The official answer from the devs is still "no comment", but recently, the Steam logo has appeared on the Geforce Experience entry for the game, and the Steam store page has been edited, so there's definitely something going on :tinfoil:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/526870/Satisfactory/

Steam release on June 8th

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

kloa posted:

Still no dedicated server or mp fixes huh :sigh:

Those two are really the same thing. A dedicated server is just a game that doesn't display the graphics, so once they get multiplayer working correctly for anyone who isn't the host, the dediated server is mostly done.
The steam release is next week, so hopefully we'll see some progress in that direction after that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

If I start something up high, then send it down, then send it back up more than 20m but it is still lower than the original point, do you still need a pump?

You don't.
Right now you can even game it like this: Have a single pump up high and let that liquid flow down from there to your huge pipe network. That whole network is now pressurized to the level of that one pump high up.
(But it's been reported to the bugtracker, so that might change)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is my option. That said, is there an easy way to pick up a single thing? Right-clicking halves a stack, and CTRL-clicking puts all of your stacks into whatever you're interacting with. I can't figure out how to "Oh I just need one single iron ingot from this stack of 100."

hold right click to select how you want to split a stack

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

On a different note: I have no idea how to gauge my coal supply vs. coal plants. I also set up a very, very long belt which seems like it was maybe the wrong thing to do?

15 Coal and 45 water per plant per minute maximum.
They won't use all of it if you don't max out your grid, so don't be fooled into thinking you can support more than that if you see coal backing up.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No need to use the windows calculator, the game has one built in :v:
(Press N, it's not just a super useful search function, it can do math as well)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I worry I may be making a huge mistake / going totally overkill.

No such thing in this game.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It seems the game is fairly smart about that sort of thing from what I've seen - when I added coal generators #9-10 in my main base, I realized I split the water pipes really haphazardly and was basically supplying 360 water/min's worth of generators with a single, 300/min-limited pipe from the source, split into 8, but I never, ever ran into water supply issues on any generators.

If you don't use all power, generators use fewer ressources.
You really just where lucky that your power usage never went above 80% long enough for the buffers in the buildings to run out.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Qubee posted:

But man oh man do factories take up a tonne of space!

Don't forget that this is a 3D game. You can always build another layer of factory on top for even more spaghettification.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Unless you have tons of shards and power production you really only want to overclock in cases where you can't place more buildings (resource nodes, water extractors in small lakes).
Power usage increases exponentially with the overclock rate, here's a constructor for example:

50%: 1.32 MW
75%: 2.52 MW
100%: 4 MW
150%: 7.65 MW
200%: 12.13 MW
250%: 17.32 MW

So if you need 150% production, two machines at 75% use 5.04 MW, which is quite a bit lower than one machine at 150% (which needs almost as much power as two machines at 100%)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

Can a single node even fuel that many generators?

It's enough for 148 generators, the 144 was probably because routing the fuel is annoying, so it's better to round down.

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Fuel_Generator#Stage_5

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Klyith posted:

Also I think there are ways to prevent / reduce slosh with pumps and buffers at the usage side, but I haven't experimented with that yet.

Pumps act as one-way valves, even when unpowered, so one more set of those should be enough the prevent the liquid from flowing the wrong way-

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Alamoduh posted:

4) splitters and mergers need to connect directly to buildings and each other.

I don't think they'll do this, because splitters and mergers are limited by the speed of their attached belts, and attaching them directly to buildings would allow you to get around some early game bottlenecks that seem intentional (screws)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

dogstile posted:

I'm thinking about setting up coal power tonight. I've found a small bit of water next to my base which i've chucked 5 extractors on, which seems like plenty for now. However the only mine for coal I can see is pretty far away so i'm thinking about tractoring it (also because it seems like it'd be fun). Question is how do I initially get them set up? Do I just grab a stack of coal and chuck it into the truck when doing the route? Is a single tractor's route regular enough for this to even be feasible or should I just belt the drat thing over here?

If you ever run out of coal, the truck stops won't unload anymore, so it's even more of a hassle to get going again than a normal blackout already is. Don't use trucks for power.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Phssthpok posted:

One easy way to run a conveyor line over an already built-up area is to terminate the conveyor belt in a truck loading station, load the goods onto a factory cart, and catapult the cart over the buildings using a jump pad.

Meanwhile, in Factorio...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-R_lAUp0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHCDSJsDH74

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

priznat posted:

Good call on just keeping the save and not worrying about starting over, I kept on chugging and discovered a big oil patch.

However it’s pretty far from the main base across some pretty rugged hills. I’ve ramped most of the route I use the truck to go through, but was trying to decide the best way to being oil or refined products to my base:

1) pipes with pumps
2) encapsulate and conveyor it
3) encapsulate and truck it with autopilot (I haven’t tried autopiloting yet though and worry it may be janky)
4) refine in place and do 2/3 with the products

Any thoughts?

5) Trains

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You belt items or pump fluids into a box at the train station (2 inputs per train car). That then gets loaded onto the train, which automatically drives to its destination, where the cargo is put into the output station. You can then belt/pump it out from there (again, 2 outputs per train car).
You can use any number of train cars (might need multiple locomotives per train if it's too heavy). And at least right now you can put multiple trains on the same track because there's no collision between trains, essentially getting you infinite throughput at the cost of electricity.

You can ride and manually control them if you want.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 25, 2020

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Session 2 was restarting on the desert map.
There is no desert map, it's different starting points on the same (huge) map.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Do people particularly play Factorio for the military aspects? Obviously you do build defences and weapons and such, but in my experience they're more of a sideshow to the main goal of building a big space rocket (and post-game launching rockets as quickly as you can). You're not building the factory to supply your war machine. That's more a Mindustry thing.

There are people playing on Deathworld setiings to make the biters more of a challenge, and if that's not enough, there are mods to make them even nastier.
Ither mods add a bunch of military stuff, both in the form of defenses (turrets etc) and weapons for the player, so there definitely are people playing this for the combat.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Klyith posted:

They said it was "a use" for batteries, so not a tier 1 thing.

Also I think it's gonna eat batteries, not just be built with them. So it might be more like a high-tier bioburner than a capacitor.

It doesn't look like it has any belt inputs in the video.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Why do that, when the planet is orbiting a perfectly good star that can receive basically infinity nuclear waste?

Kerbal Space Program taught me that shooting things into the sun is actually really hard (in terms of energy required).
Hitting the sun needs more energy than leaving the solar system.

e: to the point where the cheapest way to hit the sun is getting to solar system escape velocity first, wait until you're way out there and then aim at the sun from there.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 6, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

People hate the biomass phase, so they try to do the minimum amount of biomass burners. Which makes them burn at the maximum rate.
What you really should do is build way more than you need and fill them all up.
You still use the same amount of fuel per minute, but you cut down the amount of times you need to go back and refill.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I switched during the last update, it's entirely stable and pleasant. I honestly barely even understand why they even have the split.

Because Factorio does that :v:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

And it works uphill as well, as long as it's not too steep

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I was exploring the edge of the desert biome a bit and found some areas that look very unfinished, but there were drop pods there that don't seem to be marked on the online map yet:

One of them needed motors to open, I don't remember the other one, but it might have been motors as well. Neither of them needed power.

e: And if you walk past that and look over the edge, you get rewarded with this very pretty view:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 4, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Yeah I get the swing of it now. Found some fungus, some caterite(?), some crashed ship that needs power...I have work to do.

No need to get power all the way, just put down a biofuel generator for a few seconds to open it

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ambaire posted:

The best thing to make combat easier is to remember that you are an engineer and can build stuff.
This is true for exploration as well. No need to find a path up or do jumping puzzle stuff when you can just build a ladder (or a stack of containers, they have ladders on their side)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They really should at least include something like the SMART! mod, where making one building and making a dozen of the same building in a row takes roughly the same effort.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

explosivo posted:

Does this mod let me lay down entire factory floors at once because if yes I want that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7jHpKhhqaY

e: and the more recent versions can also mass connect belts and splitters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmkfqByx0i0

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 20, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxvGbCCc6DI

tl;dw: Don't build on the northern coast, major changes planned there

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3lVrBdjFE

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Max transfer rate isn't high enough :colbert:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

I’m still reeling from the idea of using more than one truck per station! How could one wind up needing so much throughput that they’re using more than one vehicle to deliver a thing?! Not to mention, the effort of correctly setting up a filtration and overflow-grinding conveyor system would seem greater than just…building another truck stop nearby.

The maximum throughput of a truck station is limited by the belts going in and out. But you only actually get that throughput if the distance is short enough that the destination stop doesn't completely empty out before the next load arrives.
For example:

You want to use a truck station with a two MK 4 belts in and out (960 items per minute), which will be possible with the next update.
A truck has 48 inventory slots. You transport coal, which stacks to 100, so a full truck is 4800.
If your truck route takes 6 minutes, you won't actually get the full 960 items per minute, because the truck is too slow.
You will get a maximum throughput of 4800/6 = 800 per minute.
If you add a second truck to the same route, you will get the full 960 items again (the trucks could even transport 1600, so if you upgrade to MK5 belts later, it would still work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Power plants in Satisfactory directly turn fuel and water into energy. There is no steam step like in Factorio.