Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm kinda inexperienced (and also bad at) this game, so I decided to go with a dumb gimmick build for myself after completing the core game objectives. My own Idiot Midgar:

(I lack the skill or willpower to go and redo this as a true circle, which I only just now found out was a thing, but I'm happy enough with it as is right now.)

Eventually I'm gonna get around to detailing stuff like exterior pipes and catwalks, buildings (and reactors) on top, etc, but for now I need to start filling the inside with poo poo.

So I guess my question right now is - I kinda haven't worked at all with rail transportation, what's the best way to go about setting up large scale rail transport of raw materials so I can funnel tons of ore in here and start centralizing my production? Ideally I'd like to have my materials stored in the plate and have a bunch of large buildings on top fed through elevators handling each individual step of production. I set up a bigass rail network all across my map (about 30 minute round trip or so), so do I just shove everything into a bunch of train cars and let splitter filters figure it out on this end or is there a smarter way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

I'd advise against transporting ore in bulk, because building at huge scale you are eventually be asking how few FPS you're ok with. Keeping at least the foundries and smelters elsewhere will allow the rest of your base can be that much bigger.

Alrighty then, so I guess the same question applies for deciding to go full ingot transportation then. I know I can't go more than four freight cars per locomotive because it'd never make it up the hellramps I have. So then I'm less sure how to set up my station inputs and outputs. Can I just set a default dropoff station for a train dedicated specifically to iron ingots for example, and have another train set to drop copper at another? I remember reading that all trains on the same circuit follow the same station dropoff, is that still accurate?

Thanks for giving me the heads-up on the frame rate thing though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hmm I feel like I'm hitting a bit of a snag.

The base nuclear reactor is way too small to give the look I want, so I'm obviously gonna have to go with multiples, but mechanically, I'm not sure how that all plays out. If I decide to go with a 3x2 'base' arrangement on all 8 points, and then maybe have an extra four or five stacked on top, is it possible to sustain up to 90 reactors without massively loving something up? Or am I gonna have to run something else.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be lying if there wasn't a deep, dark part of my brain that, every time I set up a new large scale build for a resource, seeing just how close i can get to maxing out a mk5 conveyor on final output.

Obviously past a point I'm sure it's impossible but I still like to imagine those 700 some odd turbo motors per minute just chugging along at the end of the continent spanning conveyor hell that facilitates it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Microcline posted:

To be clear, I think manually chainsawing a forest for biomass is acceptable (although a Ferngully-esque forest grinder vehicle would be welcome even if unnecessary) but there's no reason the player shouldn't be able to set up a single drop-off point for biomass instead of needing to manually feed each machine.

All I want is something to let me blow up those goddamn giant stone trees.

Also poison towers, gently caress those things too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Something that I'd kind of like to see is an additional option to programmable splitters where you can set, say, 30% of its input to go in one direction, 10% to go in the other, and the other 60% to go down the line.

Obviously it isn't terribly hard to get a similar effect with other splitter/merger arrangements but I just think it'd make for a nice qol thing more than anything else.

But the big thing for me is just making it so that saving/loading aren't minute long affairs, that's probably ideal :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm finally going back and continuing my stupid project after taking a break for a few months, and I started building a lattice of walkways underneath my megastructure until i realized something terrible - I can't actually build stuff on walkways.

I've been going pretty vanilla so far but this is definitely gonna hurt my plans long-term since i wanna do some large scale fluid stuff under here, is there a suggested mod that's good for that?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like the odd person out here, because i loving love conveyor spaghetti, and kinda specifically try to only build my production on natural terrain (fuel generators excluded because otherwise i'd never have enough area).

The one thing I want though is a conveyor upgrade to mk6 or something that could handle a fully overclocked mk3 miner on a pure node output.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, while I'm not generally in favor of completely gutting the ecology of any given area I work in, and just kinda prefer working around the flora...

gently caress this area and its eighteen billion poison fog spewers.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Okay, sorry for the double post but

what the gently caress, game, why are they back

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't even close the game, I just zoned out back to my main base to grab some supplies, came back, and the white trees were back, and I couldn't chainsaw them back down until I saved and reloaded. It was weird as hell.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

GotLag posted:

Free biomass! Score!

I actually ended up with 12 full industrial storage containers of solid biomass and a full one of gas filters by the end of my rampage. I will probably be set for life on that front.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

One thing I'm definitely waiting for in the new update is the improved conveyor stuff, I've been getting some really jittery performance lately regardless of video settings and if it helps on that front it'll be well worth it to me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well I guess it's technically good that I never set up my big all-encompassing train distribution network pulling a bunch of big goods from all over the map into a centralized location, since it looks like trying to run that is just gonna be a mess of train car destruction now.

Though now I have no idea what the hell I'm gonna do :negative:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I too want a plush of the big dumb round bird.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I make it a point to not build actual 'factories' and just build around the terrain that's there and trying to get it all to fit is my own personal fun. A sort of 'natural factory' so to speak. And what's more in tune with nature than actually having the factory INSIDE the nature. :thunk:

Of course, that assumes I can actually build anything, and the regular stutter has only gotten worse with the new update so I'm probably gonna have to shelve my factory for an indeterminate amount of time until I can afford to upgrade my cpu. :smith:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Have they teased any performance updates by any chance? I haven't played in like a year now because my world got big enough that I started getting really bad stutter and lag, even at minimum settings, and I can't afford a new cpu, so I'm kinda hoping and praying for some optimization stuff so I can actually play again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

They said they were working on some small things like foliage rendering, I don't think that would make much of a difference in your case but you never know

A little annoying but maybe sometime in the far flung future or something, or i'll just like, idk, use the save editor to keep my more annoying/larger stuff around and try and do a general purge.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tombot posted:

If people want to see a cursed build, check out my copper area:

I'm still building this terrible and worse.

and thats just a top and ground view of one of my many many many smaller part facilities, let's not get in to the central storage hub

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

"Hey there it's Josh from Let's Game it Out"

LifeSunDeath posted:

Sick spaghetti

at this point i just live with it and hope i can get a better pc at some point because its gotten to the point where the game is all but unplayable because thats just my life all over the map at this point

though it is funny cuz all that spaghetti feeding in there ends up feeding into a self-sorting system that takes everything from a bunch of random train deliveries and auto deposits it all into the respective storage container, or into a mulcher if i don't have the space for it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

edit:mispost

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

That owns, are the yellow lines train tracks and if so how high are they?

Nah, the yellow lines are my hypertube network, and they're suspended rather high, with 'breaks' in them near a larger hub, when then generally has a tube running down a ramp down to ground level. The pink lines around the big circle are the train tracks. As for the big circle itself?

just some &^#$# 'pizza', a relic from when I could actually play regularly. someday i'll have it replace the big central hub, or at the very least be a sort of central processing facility for stuff, idk yet. Got a train track spiraling around the pillar and going through all around the edge on the inside, and then returning out, so i just need to someday actually put some stuff in there

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 24, 2022

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

neato burrito posted:

Where's my conveyor belts only crew at?

hell yeah

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

Pipes are a gently caress. Have fun with aluminum! :v:

I should be allowed to just dump my excess water back in the river or just out of an empty pipe or something instead of having to set up annoying sink stuff, grumble.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The thing about water that I've pretty much just entirely given up on at this point is anything that both uses and outputs it as a byproduct.

If I don't have the stuff necessary nearby to just package and sink it I'm just gonna build a bunch of industrial buffers and flush the system when I'm in the area, trying to feed it back in to the system for more output just always seems to break for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh my god thank gently caress they're removing flowers, feels like every time i do a new playthrough i end up with multiple industrial storage containers of just petals