Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

On the other hand, the Epic Launcher is (probably illegally) datamining your steam account and friends list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Assuming you don't lose a lot of potential buyers due to only being available on a worse storefront, of course.

That’s where guaranteed sales come in. If the epic store crashes and burns resulting in extremely low sales, this is better for the devs because when the year is up and they release on steam they get to sell to all the people who boycut epic.

For those out of the loop: A sales guarantee is where epic offers the studio a bag of money equivalent to X sales regardless of whether or not they sell any. The Phoenix point developer apparently got at least a million dollars, probably more.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Me and a buddy messed around with it for about 3 hours, built the spac elevator before we called it a night. This is a really fun game and I can't wait to play more.

Also it has TRAINS!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I heard the trains aren't in yet. c/d?

Double checked and you're right, they're not in. I read they were releasing into early access with an extra tier over what was in the demo version so figured they'd have trains in there, but seems not. Looking forward to that though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Scarcity is really off in this game so far I’ve noticed. All three of the starting locations has the closest iron deposit you scan for have 3-4 pure nodes of iron. You can’t even fully utilise a pure node until you get splitters and tier 2 belts and I never felt a need to upgrade my mines or smelters later on because of it. This means I don’t really have an incentive to go and explore. Me and my friends are running a massive tier 5 factory off a single pure copper node.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nodes aren’t really spread out enough for that and they are currently way too plentiful and dense in the spawning zones especially. Maybe if belts had a power cost that would be realistic but there’s no reason not to build 800 tile belts from a mining site.

Power transmission poles should also have some loss so you don’t just keep one giant power grid.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When I got to steel the tier 3 (or 4, I forget) belt was so ridiculously cheap of course I’d just use that everywhere. Smelt steel ingots and it goes straight to rebar which is what the belt is made of. The recipe is stupid cheap.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think veins shouldn't come in clumps of 4 and most should be average/poor with rich ones being quite rare. I also think they should tap out eventually and only provide a trickle after that.

Alternatively, make most veins average with a few rich ones, and let them drop in quality over time until all tapped deposits are poor. This encourages constant exploration and exploitation to maintain throughput and increases the value of efficiency upgrades in the late game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want to build a base that is entirely trains.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bussing is efficient but also a crime. Spaghetti all day every day.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Its not like the EGS launcher even does anything, you can just nuke the application after launching the game. But launching the game from its own .exe is a step too far for EGS I guess. Also when is the experimental update hitting? It's been like a year since trains came out.

Sidenote: Trains come way too loving late in the tiers. Me and a friend started up again last week and all I've been wanting to do is build TRAINS, but noooo, I have to make loving computers first. Just give me a lovely early train, I don't even care if its worse than a tier 1 belt, I want to be able to build the infrastructure from the beginning.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How dense is biofuel now as opposed to pellets?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When are they making coal trains a thing?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

We’ve been running a big multiplayer game on discord and it’s fun to get back into, but I have to rant about TRAINS because it’s been years now and they’re still in loving tier 6. I feel like two big things are broken about the basic design of the game, transport and the space elevator.

Trucks are virtually useless because they’re clunky and the fuel slot for their depot can’t be reliably used because you can’t automate fuel production early on. They can’t drive reliably without putting down roads that are at least two foundations wide and if you’re putting this kind of effort in just replace trucks with a slow and inefficient coal train tbh. Everything I build in the game I know I’m gonna pull down and centralise when I unlock trains. I want to be able to just design everything around train tracks from the get-go and it’s a consistent annoyance to me that I can’t.

As for the elevator, I feel like it should be used instead of the awesome sink. The player should be encouraged to put all his spare resources into making the advanced materials and just be paid in points/vouchers for sending it up the elevator. It makes perfect sense thematically and again, if you have trains early, it’s a simple process to streamline sending spare resources back to your elevator factory.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They've chimed in a few times to announce that they have nothing new to announce. Only real information is that they might change the structure of future updates to smaller ones instead of major ones like we've seen until now.
That tracks with the rumoured layoffs they did to downsize the team again after growing the team during the first year. The game has sold about as many units as it’s gonna, so putting out a bunch of big updates doesn’t make economic sense. I think we’ll see the roadmap pared down after a while and a quiet 1.0 slapped on possibly early next year.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

Train chat
I think it comes down to how the game is designed and my expectations around that design. When I put down my first base I'm bootstrapping production of the basic materials up to reinforced plates so I can begin building in earnest. This is the point in the game where I begin exploring and exploiting deposits that are further away from my main base and where the limits start to break down for me, because I don't want to bootstrap at every grouping ore iron and copper. If I had access to (lovely) trains from the getgo, I could focus on building large regional factories in a centralized format that produce XYZ resources that I eventually take back to the primary factory around the space elevator to feed into space.

Because every deposit is infinite, it's basically just a resource tap in my mind. I hate the fact that I have to spend 10 minutes walking across the map to grab an inventory full of quartz. I hate even more that in order to not make that trip again I have to build a long and ugly chain of belts back to a base, where I will still have to revisit in the late game to redesign the whole thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Have they said anything about the story? (lol)

Are the weird artifacts ever going to have a purpose? How would they even slot into the game at this point?

Also give me coal tier trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

what are you doing that needs complex logistics in the coal tier? you are dealing with 3 resources, all of which are abundant. stop building coal poo poo and tech up.
I want to build and plan around trains from much earlier instead of relying on long belts across the map and THEN getting to do trains when I'm more than halfway through the tech tree. I'd also like train stations to be much smaller.