Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

180 GW Nuclear plant is complete and seems to be running at close to 100% efficiency after a few bits of troubleshooting with all waste being converted to plutonium fuel rods. Still not outputting max power since the plants are all supplied by a single manifold which will take a while to fill up, but after leaving it running while working on other projects for several hours it's steadily outputting between 160-175 GW.

Drone ports on the front of the building. Bottom port brings in Batteries, Steel Pipes, Steel Beams, AI Limiters, and Rubber for Uranium refinement. Top port bring in Iron Plates, Aluminum Casings, High Speed Connectors, Stators, and Heat Sinks for Plutonium refinement.

Bottom floor: Caterium/Copper Ingots, Quartz Crystal/Silica, Quickwire, Crystal Oscillators/Beacons

Second Floor: Stators, Electromagnetic Control Rods, Encased Uranium Cells, Uranium Fuel Rods

Third Floor: Sulfuric Acid, Nitric Acid, Silica, Non-Fissile Uranium

Fourth Floor: Encased Plutonium Cells, Plutonium Fuel Rods

Power grid before turning everything on. Max consumption way over what my turbofuel facilities were outputting, actual consumption getting into perilous territory.

Power grid after ramping up for several hours. Don't think I'll have to worry for a long time.

Entire array of plants all vaporizing the toxic swamp water that's cooling them:

Map overview:

Radioactive footprint without structures. You can see the last six plants still need to fill up with fuel rods:

Radioactivity is certainly high enough to kill you quickly if you're walking around in the building without a hazmat suit for some reason but it's not as much of an issue as I thought it might be. The maximum radius from a large source or radioactivity isn't all that high so you don't start to experience it until you're basically inside the building. The rest of the swamp will still be clear of radioactivity if I want to build something else there for whatever reason.

With that done it's on to the final space elevator delivery. Made this while waiting for the nuclear facility to ramp up, I won't post all the guts but know it outputs over 780 rubber/plastic on the bottom two floors and then everything above that is dedicated to making ~54 heavy modular frames/min. The requirements for the final round of elevator parts are so high that this doesn't even seem excessive. Something like this for crystal oscillators is next I think.

My god, it's beautiful...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

I finally got to the point that I wanted to scour the map for hard drives and I've discovered that 1) the drat scanner still detects crash sites I've already visited and 2) there's no way to use the scanner from the exploration car.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's not really a factory until you have a stack of conveyor belts 8 levels tall running from one end of the world to another.

Bonus points if they don't all go i the same direction.

More bonus points if you have a couple of belts in the middle doing nothing because you moved the machines feeding them somewhere else but you left the belts there 'just in case'.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I needed to set up an oscillator factory and decided I didn't want to belt the iron plates and cable and poo poo to where I found quartz because it's up on this big cliff. So I head to the quartz and do the resource ping and wow, there's a node super close but I bet's it's like a poor node or somethi... loving THREE pure iron nodes AND a pure copper node nearby! gently caress yes!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

A Moose posted:

I immediately thought of the place where I did the same thing, on the side of that canyon in the north of the map. If it is the same place, there's also a coal node there, as well as some oil on the opposite side of the canyon. There's even some caterium not too far southeast. That place has everything!

Oh loving sweet!

8one6
May 20, 2012

You know for a game where exploration is a big part of the play loop the exploration tools kinda suck. The vehicles don't let you use the scanner, the scanner's range is pretty limited and keeps picking up opened crash sites, the hostile mobs are a pain in the rear end, the weapons to deal with the mobs all suck, and with only one body slot you have to keep swapping between the "move at a decent speed" boots and "deal with the frankly absurd amount of poison gas on the map" mask.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The blade runners, gas mask, hazmat suit should just be upgrades you unlock.

8one6
May 20, 2012

priznat posted:

Imagine if you had to make the platforms etc structurally sound like Valheim, yikes lmao

[Framerate drops to less than 1 fps while the CPU catches fire]

8one6
May 20, 2012

Leal posted:

Holy poo poo scanners no longer pick up crash sites you already opened?

What!?! This is fantastic!

8one6
May 20, 2012

I will pave the world and soon everything will be snapped to the grid. EVERYTHING!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Guess who's an idiot who just wasted 10 beacons trying to figure out why they weren't planting in the ground.

Yeah it's the first time I've used them since the last update.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Started a new save a few days ago and decided to have some fun with the caterium factoryL

8one6
May 20, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Treat it like every other game like this. Start small and slowly scale your operation up. Once you get to HMF setups you will learn true pain and see the monster that lies beneath trying to mass produce.

Ughhh, heavy modular frames. My current save is the first time I finally have a HMF factory that I don't hate.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Yeah you're better off belting raw ore around than belting screws.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I killed a pig that had a jetpack so now I have a jetpack.

8one6
May 20, 2012

zoux posted:

What tricks do you guys use to measure distance and stuff, from micro "I want all these rows 3 m apart" to macro stuff where you're lining up kms of belts?

I start by building foundations under the first iron miner I build.

Then I just extend that foundation network everywhere I go.

Everywhere.

Embrace grid.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's always an incomplete upgrade somewhere.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Anyone else use a map editor not to import structures but to delete all the crates your own dumb rear end made while upgrading the belts in your factory?

8one6
May 20, 2012

I've finally reached the point where I'm going to tackle nuclear power for the first time.

This is going to take some effort.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm nearly at the point where I feel alright bringing the nuclear reactors online. All I need to do it finish building the waste management system to turn the nuclear waste into plutonium that I can sink and then I'll good to go.

To do that I just have to take the waste sulfuric acid from the top of the mountain where I'm making the encased uranium down a half a kilometer vertical drop, belt some silica from a cave through a an underwater passage, and run like a 10km pipe to the closest nitrogen gas... and then pipe the resulting waste water to a sloppy concrete plant and sink the concrete.

Easy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

CainFortea posted:

give me merger/splitters that have a port on top that hook up to elevators.

This would be a game changer!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Leal posted:

Story bits should be a middle manager coming down and judging your factories

If that manager isn't Josh from Let's Game It Out then they have no authority to judge my factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Is there anything cool worth doing Ficmas stuff for? There’s presents everywhere and I’m tempted to turn it off. Or at least I will once I get two more days of calendar goodies.

Basically should I stop what I’m doing and start doing this thing?

At a minimum make sure to get all of the ficmas gifts from the advent calendar.