Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got past the weird account problem and pre-ordered. The receipt only has an order ID though, are they sending the activation keys out separately or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ninjewtsu posted:

One time I had my autopiloted tractor go down a long ramp, then up a small ramp. When I drove the track, it went just fine, but when the autopilot drove the track, it launched off the final ramp and flew over my entire coal mining operation, and also off a cliff

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7XcUXphJk

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I had a quick go just now, finshed teir 0 but I can't place automatic miners. Well, the one on my limestone worked ok but the iron and copper near me won't. It just says "encroaching on others claim" or words to that effect. I rotated it all round but it dosn't like it. Maybe because they're right next to cliffs? I found one 400m away that it would go on but sod that for a lark.
I'll report it if it's not already in the bug list and wait for a fix.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

JuffoWup posted:

Did you clear the chunk on top that is pure?

How is that supposed to work? I thought from the miners outline that it slotted onto the lump in the middle. Do I have to chip it away or something?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

JuffoWup posted:

Yes, go up to it and you should have the option of e to chip at it. It'll eventually break. Then you can place the miner. It is dumb, but that is how it works.

Ugh. Thanks, that really is dumb and needs explaining by the game.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
For a game about automation, the power side is pretty weak. Each mine/smelter/constructor costs 12ish MW to run and those power towers are limited to 4 connections so I haven't tried seeing if you can share the supplies somehow yet. I spend most time between upgrade hurdles gathering stuff for the generator gods - It feels like I'm burning more leaf per day than all the hippies in California combined.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Impermanent posted:

this is the worst decision i think they make about the early game and i hate it BUT: you will very quickly outgrow this once you get to coal.

I got coal, made a tractor but it won't move when I get in. I checked and it says it takes any fuel. Since I can't find a place to insert said fuel I asume it takes from my inventory? I have biofuel and coal on me but it stays put.

So I went and found a coal deposit instead but that's on top of a pillar of rock. I built a ramp up to it for whenever I find out how to get the tractor to start.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I found a crashed pod, how do I open it? It wants 40 MWh or similar so are their batteries or do I need to run power poles to it?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I started a new game to try out this update. Got basics automated then beelined the chainsaw to keep the power on. What next? Just follow the tiers or is there a good video series?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Ok, crash sites, I think I saw one of those before and just looted what was lying around and left again.

How do you handle power distribution? I'm running one set of poles as a backbone connecting generators with the grid then another set next to them as 'leaf' nodes that supply machines. Are there better poles later?

And is there a way to clear terrain? I have trouble visualising the factory in my head when I have to build over hills and valleys.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Thanks you two, I built a concrete line and over time I can transform the place factorio style in a pleasing grey.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've paved over my start space, rebuilt everything in a semi orderly fashion on the foundations and automated everything except frames. Feeding 5 bio power plants is fairly time intensive so I got coal unlocked.

I started building a second floor but I've a question: does it need walls per X meters to avoid falling down? Or will it ignore reality once I get it laid down?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
If they don't, mods should fix those sorts of QoL gaps fairly quickly.

The blocks should cost concrete for the smaller ones too. I wouldn't mind if the game attempted some sort of structural integrity check (like Empyerion) but I can live with super wacky easy mode too.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was playing yesterday and realised that chasing the tiers and goals just made it feel like a chore. I took the tractor and went coal hunting then built a coal power plant (9 units like someone said). Just generally dicking around doing what felt like needed doing next and the game finally felt like a relaxing game. I found some slugs, a cave full of mushrooms, built more iron mines with smelters and extracted a hard drive. Bam, 4 hours gone but it was fun at last. A quick check of the storage sheds showed enough things made to finish a handful of upgrades then go wander again while the factory does it's thing.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got to steel now and it seems like a very big step up. Replacement machines that are vastly better, much more complex recipes and more resources. I got a second coal patch hooked up via truck stops and a tractor looping for now but creating a new factory secion 'out that way' to make the steel would be more efficient. But first you need a bit of steel (haha, 300 ish?) to bootstrap and get set up.

Then I spent hours looking for quartz to make an explorer - this is when I realised how big the map is. I ended up finding it, having to dash through those poison clouds to mine a couple of hundred and leave. It was too far for conveyors and trucks too much hassle.

I was thinking that getting a temporary steel component line going should be next and do the 'upgrade everything' step. Solo play shows up that this was built for co-op, it's slow going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I opened up tier 5 & 6 but it's kind of daunting, I don't really know where to start. So I went 'gently caress it' and skipped off to start a new game in the desert to see how it is there. Once that gets tedious I'll need to sit down and try to get my head round how to tackle the next tiers.

Get trains built and redo the whole thing with proper resource delivery seems one way. There are no faster smelters right but miners and belts upgrade. So pulling all the raws to one big smelter block seems logical.