Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Do we know what time it'll actually release at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I was excited to actually play it myself, even if it was the same as the free weekend. But I was really hoping there would be new stuff for the EA launch. Sounds like that's the case. Pumped for this.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Vertical belts are something I'm using so often, that they are starting to feel like they should be a pre fab thing you can build. Building them custom every time feels like busy work.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Even unfinished that is incredible. And I agree, if you have to wall everything off for performance it kills a lot of the coolness. I'm anticipating the game will run big factories a lot better on release.

I also build an identical pantry to yours in all of my bases.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Mk3 belts do seem cheap, but a big part of that is how ridiculously over expensive reinforced plates are right now.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

nielsm posted:

This sounds nice too. Not just higher capacity but also higher throughput.

Even with this change, I still don't understand the point of them.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Once I get the jet pack I never take it off.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

I'm so triggered right now.

What's the point of a mixed belt anyway?

It's a neat idea, but a bad practice. If any of the inputs are higher through put than they are being consumed, the entire belt will back up and only run at the speed that item is being consumed.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yep, only two ways to have a mixed belt not eventually back up regardless of buffer/overflow -- either ensure all consumers consume faster than their inputs and therefore run inefficiently, or have some way to destroy the excess material.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Starting to work with trains. I have a station that I can pilot theb train to manually, but when I add it to the schedule it says unable to find route or whatever. Is there a good guide to working with trains? This is on the experimental branch.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
All my rail switches are facing the wrong way. It wasn't noticable with the old switches, but these it looks bad. Everything works fine, but how do I flip them around and how do I build them right in the future?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have a very stupid question. When i first started the game out I used a power pole to connect the two biomass burners on the back of the HAB to each other, but when I turned them on they blew their fuses. So I assumed that you just can't have multiple power producers on a single circuit. Now I am reading things that make it sound like you can. Could someone let me know if I have been running insane numbers of wires around my base for no goddamned reason

How big did this factory get? I feel like I have to see this.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
My first few rail lines wound up left hand drive. However, as I got more and more serious about trains, I made sure all future lines are right hand drive. So there's just a couple old spots that are the wrong way around as a sad testament to my lack of foresight early on.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I can't tell if path signals are buggy or if I don't understand them. I've got one that gives a red signal like it's working (instead of being dark or having a blinking error) but it never turns green.

I also don't understand how intersections decide which lane gets to go next. I've had trains sit at intersections where one lane gets to send multiple trains after another before another lane gets to send one. In some cases it seems like a train with some speed coming up to the intersection gets favored over the train already at the intersection but stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Klyith posted:

Path signals are always red, except for a hot second they flick green while a train has active permission to proceed through them.

That's a good point. Appreciate the help. When my buddy put the game back up this evening, I rebuilt the path and preceding block signal again and now they work. Stuff like this is why I never know if I'm loving up, or if the game just doesn't work.

https://imgur.com/a/jIXmH2m

The signal at the bottom middle of the screen was the problem one. There is a block signal preceding it not pictured. Obviously, the interchange is not fully utilized yet, the branch going to the left doesn't go anywhere yet. But it is now working and traffic looks decent flowing through it.

Klyith posted:

Which lane goes next, I bet is something like moving trains try to reserve the next block as soon as they enter while stopped trains ask later, or the system processes trains in order of their speed, or something like that.

It even makes sense to prioritize the moving train: sending the train that's already moving through an intersection before a stopped one is faster overall. The stopped train needs time to accelerate, so it will "hold up" other traffic for longer.

This is how it feels like it works. Like you say, it makes sense from a sorta almost real world efficiency standpoint, but is deeply dis-satisfying when I'm in a train, checking a route, that is getting absolutely stonewalled by this.

Related to this, it feels like the path signals don't start checking whether a train can pass through or not until the train passes the preceding block signal. So if the block signal is right before the path signal, the train will slow down almost to a stop every time, even if there is no other traffic. Have you noticed anything like that? Is there maybe an ideal distance between a path signal and a preceding block signal? It seems like the further back it is, the more speed might be maintained through the intersection (provided there isnt other traffic).

Klyith posted:

I think the end result is that if you have enough traffic that this is an issue, you need to de-conflict the trains somehow.
1. with a more complex junction: a stacked interchange, turbine, or whatever other advanced simcity roadworks you fancy
2. with less traffic: bigger trains that carry more stuff, or use the new timetable options to have trains wait in a station until they're full / unloaded
3. with more rail: if all your trains are jamming up at one central intersection, you probably need to run more rails to avoid that

I've always been the train guy for games like these. I got get the materials, and move them to where they need to be and my buddy builds most of the actual production facilities, he doesn't mess with trains at all. So, don't take any of the below the wrong way, it's just I don't get to actually talk trains very often.

The train network is certainly busy, but outside of an occasional error or particularly unlucky lining up of timing of different routes, it generally doesn't jam up too bad like this.

1 - what is a stacked interchange? what is a turbine?

In Factorio, I used 2 lane each way with periodic cross overs so if one lane got jammed, the train could switch to the other lane (in the same direction) and pass by. My understanding is that in Satisfactory, trains will only ever use the shortest physical distance track(s). Unlike Factorio, they have no ability to see ahead and tell that taking a slightly longer (physically) route will result in them arriving at their destination much sooner. For this reason, I'm using 1 lane in each direction here (as pictured above).

2 - I have some 1-5 trains, but after reading that this isn't an ideal ratio, all new trains are 2-8. So, my trains are already pretty big. I don't need my trains to be real world lengths, but small ones just look a bit goofy to me. Even 1-4 is a touch on the too small side. 2-8s do make building stations a huge pain in the rear end though, so I don't want to go any bigger. Additionally, each train carries 4 different materials, so setting stations to wait until they fully unloaded would cause some materials to run dry at the factory.

3 - I generally have one main track going to each big facility we've built. I guess, maybe just build more tracks that connect other parts together to try to get more trains on different tracks?

https://imgur.com/a/QGklmBw

This is the train system right now. Everything kinda runs through the section in the middle that runs NE-SE and was built off that.