Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So far I like it, but they should either add a tier of automated energy between biofuel and coal, or they need to put a coal patch closer to spawn. Also, is there any tutorial about how you should learn your trucks to drive between depots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Why are you guys bothering with walls in your factory? Just have everything float in mid-air all scifi like.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Ok, that's a great reason. But I wonder how that works if you have walls with holes for conveyor belts.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Factorio has spoiled people with the frequency and amount of bugfixes in each patch, I guess.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cobbsprite posted:

It's ... literally a webpage for asking questions about Satisfactory and posting answers. If somebody hijacks your account for that, nothing of value is lost.

Also, a hacker already need to have your password to do anything. Sure, it would be nice if they sent a mail to your old address too, but it's not world ending.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
One issue is that the game lacks exploration incentives at the moment - every biome is mostly the same in resources, and once you got one node with a miner for each of the rare ores, you don't really need to find others unless you're building megabases. Hard drives in wrecks are somewhat cool, but it also makes me dread getting one a bit because now I've got to rebuild my whole factory to use the more optimal recipe.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The 3D aspect of Satisfactory makes it possible to reach levels of spaghetti that Factorio players couldn't even dream about

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I think the numbers are inconsistent - I seem to recall seeing the 600 units per second for the water pump, but when I checked it, it only pumped 120 units per second. Maybe water type affects it? I built it in relatively shallow water.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
You should try recycling a ticket. Trust me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I really wish they would fix it so inverted mouse works in vehicles. I'm totally unable to use them as it is now. (Would also be nice if they didn't slow your mouse movements to molasses when inside one, but I guess that's asking too much)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Dude, add more machines.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

The analyzer asking for monster bits forces some exploration because you have to go find more.

I wish there was more monster variety across biomes, though, and more variety in the loot drops from monsters. Yet again there's really no reason to explore other biomes because every tree is wood and leaves, and every monster drops the same two kinds of items. Even the big ones only drop more of them, not anything different.

Hipster Occultist posted:

So I've been exploring for hard drives, and each new wreck I find seems to already have the required parts inside? Anyone else encounter this>

This are new, unencountered wrecks to be clear

I think it's just that the game auto-places the required items from your inventory into that slot.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Literally Kermit posted:

yeah i see that getting nerfed pretty quick.

While the costs of materials definitely need adjustment, this only works a few times before it becomes unsustainable since ticket prices increase for every one you get

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
If the devs were evil, they coul make radiation levels increase exponentially related to the amount of nuclear waste stored close together

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

khy posted:

Soooo I picked this up yesterday. I didn't go into it totally blind, mainly because I watched Let's Game it Out's satisfactory videos. I'm trying to get as far as I can sans wiki or walkthrough or anything.

Honestly though I think I've been slightly infected by LGIO because while you people are all talking efficiency and vehicles, all I can think is "Well why not just a 15 kilometer long conveyor belt".

That's my solution too, even in Factorio. As long as your belts aren't doing loop-de-loops or something wild, who cares.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
You don't need a wiki, there is a recipe database within the game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Exploration isn’t that great - there are some nice vistas, but you have the same monster types and resources no matter the biome. The largest monsters don't even give you a cool reward, you just get TWO alien carapaces instead of a single one, which is almost insulting.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 25, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anti-bot measure of some kind, I guess

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

skeleton warrior posted:

Hey, all:

I played a little of Factorio but bounced off of it when I had to create conveyor belts which had specific items in specific orders for factories to use. Am I going to have the same frustrations with this game, or is the input/conveyor system easier to deal with?

That does not sound like Factorio.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I guess you're talking about "sushi belt" layouts, but even those work best when a single item type is on one lane of the belt.

Satisfactory drops that complexity completely, though, as there's only one lane on a belt.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

LLSix posted:

Just got this when it released on Steam. Some experimentation showed I could stack constructors on top of each other using walls and foundations. The closest together I can get them vertically is 3 wall heights apart. Is that right?

Fun fact, once you build the foundation, you don't need the wall to support it anymore and can have a floating factory in the sky. Of course, getting up there is now a problem.

Keeping the walls there should in theory help with framerate issues, as it allows the graphic engine to not render your factory when you're on the outside. Though in practice I wonder how much impact it has, since there are tiny seams between foundation and wall pieces.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

tranten posted:

I just drop one of the items in front of the container.

Not everyone knows you can drop items though.

I've also seen people creating a very short belt on the container exit, which then gets filled by the item in the container and serves as an indicator

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
You know what never drives into the void if you look at them the wrong way? Belts. Miles of belts.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Qubee posted:

I would do this 100% of the time, but belts being janky and clipping into everything and needing to be babysat the entire time

Babysitting....belts? What do you mean?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Lay miles of foundation down! It's all in service to a higher cause.

The Grand Unified Grid. The Grid.

This is me a third of the way to where I'm moving my new base. But it has to be on the same grid. It has to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFXYuw96d0c

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Maybe there should be two modes, one where you get random recipes from hard drives like now, and one where you just pick what recipe you want but they cost like 3 hard drives each

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I hope the goo color in the mixing chamber changes depending on what recipe is selected

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It could also be that they are batteries for some new tech that requires a lot of power, but only for a moment. Like - a teleporter.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I do feel that dismissing bugs as «just» an UI issue shows that the devs aren’t really in sync with the players. We want it fixed, not excuses, and how the hell can «the last parachute technically doesn’t exist» be a bug that stays unfixed in your bug tracker for over a year?

Wube would never have accepted that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
There is no alert when the batteries start draining?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I feel it's a bit too Earth-like, they went from No Man's Sky to Skyrim. Also that one crash site is now totally obscured in the dense forest so you can't locate it visually.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Isn't the small loose resource rocks randomized, or do I misremember?

Also what you get from hard drives is randomized (but the location of the drives isn't)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I hope the final story will be satisfying for both casual and hardcore players - like, you don't need to reach the highest tier to get to the conclusion, but getting to the highest tier is rewarding in some way.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Does anyone ever use MK2 belts for anything but short spans between a miner and a splitter? MK3 is so much better and feels cheaper resource-wise.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I wonder if trains can crash if you run two train tracks across each other, or if it’s just when the game detects a head on collision

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The logo being partially painted might mean we will be able to do graffiti on our buildings

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Oxyclean posted:

Is the Christmas event like last year where you're gonna need to wait for the advent calendar to cough up the stuff you need to start your christmas automation?

I read someone saying the MAM tree is just a replica of last year's xmas tree, so yes, you will get a red bulb in the calendar on December 4th. But they've said there will be additional stuff that wasn't present last year. (There's a game inside your office now, if you haven't seen it already)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I do hope that when they get the story content done it won’t be tied to progressing to tier 9/10.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It is annoying that so far into the life of the game, they still haven't done relatively simple QOL things like having vehicles obey your inverted mouse settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It could be interesting to go with a hybrid approach to overclocking - you can overclock anything without slugs, but at a power curve even steeper than the one currently in use. Then with slugs it becomes a linear relationship.

(Would also be cool if you could turn slugs into increased output with the same input but that's the Factorio in me talking)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 22, 2022