Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I like to use a "central warehouse" pattern instead of central bus. Each ingredient outputs to a splitter that can then run to several stations. The output of each station can then flow back into the warehouse through the basement.

The wall of containers shows which items are flowing, and acts as a mall where I can top up my personal inventory for construction.

The recipes in this game are grouped into families with very little overlap, so I have one installation like this for heavy modular frames, one for motors, and one for super computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

[small brain] import raw materials by truck

[medium brain] import raw materials by conveyor belt

[large brain] build two-way conveyor belts between bases for use as moving walkways

[powerslug brain] use conveyor belts to run between bases carrying an inventory full of raw materials

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I had just come from Oxygen Not Included, so I also split my main base into separate power grids for about the first 12 hours.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

WHO RUN SCREW TOWN?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

RVT posted:

Even with this change, I still don't understand the point of them.

I think this means they would have to act as merger/splitters instead of just buffers. It's possible to get the same effect with the existing parts, but it's tedious and ugly.

If there is an input and an output on the same side, it could really simplify warehouse layouts.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I finally got turbomotors automated

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Bobulus posted:

As for getting it running, you can't manually dig oil out of the ground like you can for minerals, so you'll need to bring the supplies for a biofuel generator to get the initial pump going.

You can harvest some crude oil by chainsaw in the jungle, but I don't know if it's enough to bootstrap a power plant.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I added so many storage buffers to my civilization while building train stations that all the idle constructors activated and caused a series of blackouts. (My power capacity readout was not accurate because turbofuel ran out due to the compacted coal train having pathing trouble on a perfectly fine track.)

During the blackouts, all my trucks ran out of fuel and I had to run around the continent refueling them. They might have survived if they ran on batteries, but I don't know how I would get battery materials to one place without trains.

In conclusion, trains solve slightly more problems than they create.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

i've heard of cloud sync errors but this is ridiculous

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Here's a diagram of a central hub pattern, with most of the activity on a single level (and conveyors/trains in the basement):

Everything sprawls out from a mall where you can pick up intermediate components for construction projects. In a spacious area, you should be able to add capacity to any processing line up to the limit of your belt bandwidth.

I divide this up into a few of these malls: one for construction, one for electronics, one for organics, et cetera.

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 21, 2019

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Can you show me an ingame pic? I think I'm overimagining this.

Train stations below main level

View from HUB

Construction mall (side-by-side containers, walk on ground)

Electronics mall

Organics mall (stacked containers, walk on top)

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

The power-line-linking mechanic is kind of dumb compared to just being able to place things in "powered areas" in other base-building games.

If you had a flying drone that only let you construct things in "powered areas" it would not break exploration.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I just make a vertical stack of power poles and then delete all the floors so it looks like one big pole :keke:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

There's a save editor at https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map that can spawn circles and rectangles, and massively delete (non-radioactive) objects.

Drag your save file to the "upload" box, then right-click on an object and choose "spawn a geometric form here"

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

nielsm posted:

Or, if your production is too high for one belt to fill a truck station enough to fill a truck before it makes a full circle, make more truck stations and have the truck stop at all of them. If you have three truck stations filling at 120 items/min and your truck stops at all three, the truck effectively fills at 360 items/min. You just need a similar arrangement for the unloading.

Wait, do truck stations load at 120 items/minute or 120 stacks of items per minute?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I've been theorycrafting layouts for a turbofuel power plant. 300 oil/minute can support up to 150 generators. If we hide the canning of extra fuel, the layout can be pretty tidy:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

If you connect a biomass burner to a power pole, it can count as "powered" for the purposes of stopping hostile spawns, but the fuel will never go down.

So build one of those near every place your character might be standing when your child needs attention.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Fangz posted:

What's that square to the north?

150 fuel generators fed by a single oil node and a single sulfur node

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

When you get jetpacks and trains, the game turns into a platformer :mario:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Yeah, truck stations will load any vehicle that has an inventory and passes in front of them. It's hilarious when a physics glitch knocks a truck into range of the wrong station and it delivers a bunch of raw quartz to your compacted coal factory that your entire power grid depends on.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

Welp. hosed over my factory.
Thought I'd try adding mods. Several quality of life ones, several fun ones etc.
One of them is an item teleporter mod. Items go in at one location, items come out at another location. Very handy.

400 item teleporters later and it seems they require a CPU cost as I'm down to 10 fps. Cutting the power to the master control device instantly jumps me to 70 fps.

Seems I've a lot of base to rearrange. :shobon:

I think you can make a zero-cpu teleporter by building a two-segment conveyor belt and using the map editor to move one of the segments, and they remain linked.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Hmm, what if I apply the map editor conveyor-belt teleportation trick to a hypertube...

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I just want a beacon-like item I can place, and a grenade launcher that spawns a copy of every building within 50m of that beacon, wherever the grenade lands.

I want to hold my space bar for 30 seconds to craft that grenade. And I want to craft 100 of them and fire them in random directions while I am flying across the continent from my hypertube launch system.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

If you feel like power is too much of a bottleneck, learn to love underclocking. 4x as many buildings making an item at 25% speed gives you the same results for half the power cost, and gives you more stimulating layout challenges.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Alkydere posted:

I just want trains and trucks (not tractors, actual trucks) to unlock sooner so I can expand out with them. Then again I feel there will at least be more to do with them when more tiers are added.

It would be cool if you could upgrade a tractor to a truck with one click, like upgrading a belt or pole.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

K8.0 posted:

If I put a splitter to a container, then half the output is going into that container effectively forever

There's not a factorio-like way to limit the size of a container, but if the output isn't hooked up to anything you can fill the extra spaces with something cheap, so that it only siphons materials from the supply chain until you have, say, 2 stacks of modular frames accumulated.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I spent a while hunting hard drives for the alternate Heavy Oil Residue recipe. It turns out I already had it but I couldn't find it in the "unpackaging" section of the refinery recipe selector.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

BTW, I haven't started building anything vertically, am I missing out?

There's plenty of horizontal space for anything you could want to build. The advantages of building vertically are mostly aesthetic. You can group constructors into tidy boxes with definite inputs and outputs. You can break a recipe down into a repeatable unit and build several floors of that same unit for more throughput or more power efficiency. You can break a recipe down into different sub-recipes and have each floor make that component in bulk.

If you like driving around in ground vehicles, it's nice to keep buildings off the natural ground roads. If you like trains, a lot of the natural elevated roads need a few pillars to fill in their gaps.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Also the uncompressed save files are just XML, so if there is some systematic damage to the file, you could write a program to reverse it. The experience would be pretty similar to actually playing the game.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Pretty much, had two constructors connected to a storage unit making solid biofuel from leaves/wood and I'd run around topping them all off every so often, jumping around the horrible spaghetti production line mess.

I had just come from Oxygen Not Included, and spent several hours running lots of small disconnected power grids in Satisfactory.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

One easy way to run a conveyor line over an already built-up area is to terminate the conveyor belt in a truck loading station, load the goods onto a factory cart, and catapult the cart over the buildings using a jump pad.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Auto-connecting splitters/mergers is really easy. Press "M" while building to bring up the SMART configuration screen, and toggle the checkbox for autoconnecting splitters/mergers. Then when you place multiple splitters they will include belts. There's another checkbox to make it copy recipes between machines when you do this.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Yeah I think it only works for splitters/mergers because they can be placed directly on the floor, unlike pipe junctions. It also only works for the simplest manifold layouts (no "P" spacing).

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I just recently started a new save, using the Smart mod for the first time. Everything pre-oil is coming out nice and tidy.

After working out the above in one big floor, I have a much better idea for how I would split it into more vertical buildings. It's nice being able to do more of the designing in-game instead of on paper.

I definitely still get overwhelmed by some of the larger scale routing issues. Dyson Sphere Program made that kind of thing way more fun.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Yeah, I think it would be cool to build a "reverse skyscraper" with raw ore entering at the edge of that huge cliff, and each floor downward making more complex parts, culminating in space elevator items at the bottom of the cliff.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I started building a top-to-bottom factory at the northwest forest cliff:

Top-to-bottom is cool because all the smoke-creating buildings can be in open air, and the space elevator parts can come out at the bottom. In the past I've made some tall buildings with each floor exactly the same, and it was too boring and repetitive. It's more fun to give each floor its own theme.

I have mixed feelings about sharing intermediate parts between sections that could otherwise be dedicated to a single product. For a "home base" it's nice to have lots of energy-efficient building materials available.

In the longer run I would like to focus on individual walled-in buildings, each building dedicated to a single final product, and each floor dedicated to a single intermediate product.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I have tried to tame the lizard doggos several times. They don't like me and they won't eat any treats I drop in front of them. :(

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Wish I could blueprint buildings. Got a rather nice looking building making ~20 modular frames/minute I want to copy over :shobon:

Satisfactory-Calculator Map has a blueprint feature for copy/pasting buildings between different saves. I've started over a few times and I like to import my favorite buildings from old saves when I unlock trains on a new save.

To use it you load a game in the save viewer, toggle the types of buildings you want to be included, and select a region to save as a blueprint file. Then load the other save file, and load the blueprint file, and paste it at its original location. (I think there's a feature to take construction materials from your storage.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

nielsm posted:

Why a drop pod would be carrying a barrel of waste on board is the next good question.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just make a convoluted way to launch the nuclear waste into the sun or something 💁

:thunk: