Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Absence of procedural generation is a feature :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I love the lizard dog and it's cute as hell but is there a way to make it stop following you? It's hard to build with it getting in the way all the time

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You're a bad person.

I wish I could tame the bird instead of the lizard dog :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Turns out I can give berries to lizard dogs and just not pet them and they'll run off after a while

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I feed the lizard dog, which is more important from its point of view

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://satisfactory-calculator.com/ ?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They've previously said they're working on making the building system better and I will be genuinely surprised if the next update just adds more pieces to be built in the current way. To build everything shown using the current system would require a ridiculous number of new buildables.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I need help: I keep stalling out when I get to tier 4 and onwards.
My base produces the following and dumps them in storages: biofuel, iron plates, reinforced plates, rods, screws, rotors, cable, wire, modular frames, copper sheets, concrete, steel pipe and steel beams.
Once I need resources that aren't local to my starting base (iron, copper, limestone) I sort of flounder until I give up. I never know what kind of rates to shoot for, either.

Do you produce everything centrally, or what kind of remote/satellite facilities do you make?

I feel like I need some kind of example of what works so I can try it out and find a style that works for me.

Edit: for example in Factorio I can set myself the goal of X of each science pack per second, but I have no idea what rate I should be making stuff in Satisfactory

Edit 2: I really enjoy the experience of designing and building a factory once I know what I need to make and how much of it, I just have no loving idea how to work out that target in the first place

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 30, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is exactly why it is an astoundingly bad design decision to make trains such a late game technology and make them so resource intensive.

There is no elegant way to get distant resources to your base early on. It's the goofy truck or belt spaghetti until 3/4 through the game.

Good news, this can be fixed!

I've put together some recipe patches for ContentLib, just download these files and put them in FactoryGame/Configs/RecipePatches in your install folder (you'll need to create the RecipePatches folder yourself).

These unlock the locomotive, track and station with Advanced Steel Production at tier 4, and the platforms and freight wagon with Logistics Mk.3, also at tier 4. The recipes are the same except all the computers have been replaced with AI limiters so you don't need plastics to build them.

I would have preferred to patch the monorail milestone to move it to tier 4 but the documentation for ContentLib sucks rear end.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Triarii posted:

- Producer buildings really don't need such gigantic input buffers for resources. It causes all sorts of production delays, and makes it hard to tell at a glance whether your resource ratios are out of whack or things are fine and just haven't settled into place yet. It can get really egregious with things that take a long time to produce, like the Adaptive Control Units for Assembly Director Systems - they're built at a rate of one per minute and an assembler's input can hold fifty of them, so a decently sized line of assemblers fed by a manifold can take literal hours to get fully producing. I coded this sort of thing once and I think the logic I used for the buffer size was "enough to produce the selected recipe for 30 seconds, or to produce the recipe twice, whichever is greater".

I agree with this, but I will note that the most common newbie question/complaint in the Factorio Discord and IRC channel is "why have my inserters stopped even though the machine's input isn't full??????"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Free biomass! Score!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've just started playing this. How are the type of resource like quartz and especially coal supposed to work? The deposits disappear once I've dug them out. This seems especially puzzling with coal?

Are they eventually going to add more procedural things?

--edit:
Seems like I need quartz to research towards getting the map, but it's scarce as hell?

Resource deposits are the rock-like things that are scattered all over and disappear when you chisel them a few times.
Resource nodes are the bigger, roughly circular piles of resource-coloured rocks that you can build miners on, and are endless. Once you've done the first research for the sulfur and quartz trees you'll be able to find the nodes using your resource scanner.

There's no procedural generation, but resources nodes produce forever and there's not the same emphasis on endless resource sinks as in Factorio, so you don't need to keep expanding in that way.

Edit: To clarify, there are endless nodes for every resource type, they just might not be near where you're currently set up. Use the scanner and go exploring.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 19, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Early on I use a workbench to convert the leaves, wood and carapaces into biomass by hand, then dump it all in one container feeding a constructor that will happily chug along in the background converting it to solid fuel.

Alien carapaces make a good renewable and quick-to-collect fuel source, especially when you have the rebar gun. One bolt as it approaches you and then a single zap to finish it off as it reaches you.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LonsomeSon posted:

Also, only a coward doesn’t trust their ability to reload and fire again, to get the gently caress pig kill!

It's more of a timing/rhythm thing. Fire, reload while it recovers and charges again, switch to zapper, poke it as it reaches you, switch to rebar gun, choose a new victim.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Underclocking gives you significant power savings early game, which helps increase the time between biofuel generator refills

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah that's the trade-off with manifolds. Trees distribute more evenly but take up more space and have to be planned more in advance.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

drunken officeparty posted:

Not having a fully random map was such a huge mistake. Random map, tweak the enemy system, and add a repeating End Game goal and it would be just as infinitely replayable as Factorio.

Procedural generation takes a lot of development time to do, time which is better spent handcrafting one guaranteed good map instead of hoping you can sometimes generate some that don't suck.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cracker King posted:

I discovered you can build coal power plants underwater so as to avoid needing pumps.

This changes everything

How underwater do they have to be? Entirely or just the pipe input?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well that was a let-down.

No changes needed to my existing power setup:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Going by the example there if you wanted to make a big complicated intersection all you'd need is a chain signal at each entrance and a signal at each exit, no need to break it up into smaller blocks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I too want a plush of the big dumb round bird.

I want to be able to tame the birds :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mayveena posted:

My game crashed using SML but maybe it was the mods I was using? I've deleted all the folders, you're saying it may be safe just to install SML?

The mod launcher servers are being hammered so it may not have downloaded everything that needs updating (or those updates may not have been released yet).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish the game had decorative rocket boosters or other glowy things to pretend my rails over the southern abyss are floating legit.

You could use this mod to create spherical foundations under/tethered above your rails and pretend they're helium balloons:
https://ficsit.app/mod/ETpFu8EKGL3989

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Mini Chainsaw mod still hasn't been updated :(

(It adds a chainsaw that only cuts down the highlighted entity)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Word of warning about the foundation world grid snap (Ctrl while placing on terrain): it appears to snap based on the centre of the foundation you're placing, so the top/bottom of a 1-metre foundations will be 0.5 metres off the grid versus 2- or 4-metre foundations

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Turns out that half-metre vertical offset from snapping 1-metre foundations to the world grid has a use: you can now make workshops actually feel like part of your factory:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Note: there's at least one poison cloud damage area that doesn't get removed