Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Pleasantly surprised by the autopilot. I put it on a sort of elevated highway with the steepest ramps at both ends, and it handles it without issue every time, and I've seen it self-correct by backing up and trying again successfully too. Bodes well for a more complicated facility down the line, I think, but I didn't make it into the closed alpha to play with trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Mr. Powers posted:

If you already have 15 different launchers/storefronts installed, is one more really a problem? It seems like you've already gotten over having to have multiple launchers, so I guess I don't get why this is the straw that breaks your camel's back.

E: Particularly when Epic is trying to shift more money towards the developers rather than keeping a massive chunk of revenue.

I like this game, but
  • personally I've had way more break-in attempts and ridiculous numbers of emails about account security - vs none for Steam, uPlay, or Origin
  • can't play your games in offline mode
  • no community reviews (which I know can be manipulated, but also give at least some sense of the current quality of the game, especially with early access titles)
  • poor social features, especially compared to Steam
  • very buggy download management
  • no achievements, if you were one to care about that
  • Epic's account and fraud management is seriously flawed - multiple reports of people's accounts getting hacked and used to purchase currency, with no reply from customer service and a complete account ban on chargeback
  • may or may not be feeding your data to massive investor Tencent

I can see where Coffee Stain is coming from, and I still might buy the game, but it's not like Epic is really offering anything on par with the other major launchers.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

If I run a splitter, with two outputs, and one of the outputs is stopped (trying to fill the fuel tank of a tractor station for instance) does the other belt then output the full capacity, or still only half?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I decided to build a tower where each floor produced a separate item that's used either as an ingredient in a building or vehicle, or had been used previously to satisfy a milestone or the space elevator. Furthermore, I wanted each floor to produce these items at the full efficiency of the final step in their construction - that is, the final assembler/constructor/manufacturer would be operating at a consistent 100% efficiency - being fed only raw materials. And then of course, it had to deliver these items to a centralized depot where I could access them from ground level.

Here's an example of what this looks like when you sort of get tired of it halfway through, but still power on until the end.

A shot of the whole ordeal from the original scaffold I used to build the floors

A tale of two elevator methods: on the left, when I was more concerned with some semblance of aesthetics, and the right, where I just wanted to get the dang product to the ground. I know there are absolutely more space efficient and aesthetically pleasing belt elevators than building a whole walkway, but I actually found this easier to build at speed as it was less finnicky in aim and reproducability when half paying attention to a podcast.

For its many flaws, I still think it looks kinda neat.

At the foot of each of those elevator towers is a storage unit, all fed with mk 4. belts. They're ordered Coal, Oil, Copper ore, Limestone, Caterium ore, Iron ore, Iron ore, Iron ore. As you can see, at this level of production I don't need more than 450 units/m of any raw resource besides Iron ore.

An example floor, this one being for Heavy Modular Frames. Nothing particularly good about the layout, as it was kind of freestyled more than it should have been, honestly. It all feeds the somewhat centrally located manufacturer.

All of the finished products flow through the almost comically ugly elevator based on a method I randomly saw on the subreddit into individual storage for access from the ground.

So far, it produces

Iron Plates
Iron Rods
Wire
Cable
Reinforced Iron Plate
Rotor
Modular Frame
Steel Beam
Steel Pipe
Encased Beam
Motor
Heavy Modular Frame
Computer
Quickwire

all at full efficiency for the final step (eg, 2 Heavy Modular Frames per minute). I used this handy calculator to determine the rate of materials I would need, and the efficiency settings I needed for the intermediate buildings to end up with 100% at the end.

Would I recommend this, even done more aesthetically cohesively or with better elevators? Not really, but maybe with the first party elevators in the update. As soon as I turned on the power for the whole thing, my performance when I'm anywhere near it took a real hit - playable but quite uncomfortable in first person and jerky. Could this be improved by walling it all off? Probably? But that sort of defeats the interest of seeing what's going on for me, personally.

Overall, it was mainly something to goof around with after completing all of the milestone tiers available now.

Oh also, this jerk has a habit of flying through it all the time. Real inconsiderate.