Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Alpha is fun, and I'll buy the game for sure, but I really want to know what the endgame is like. The main issue right now is slow resource production and having to manage fuel at the start.

Definitely like the spin they have on building out a factory, and that it is in 3d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Dunno-Lars posted:

I'm a bit confused about how the tractor works. I recorded a route between my coal mine truck station and my base truck station, put it on auto-pilot and the tractor just drove off into the distance. Now it's way up north and I can't figure out where. No matter how far north I go (until I meet a cliff), the compass marker won't budge as I go east and west, meaning it is waaay off. I have just accepted that the tractor is off on it's own adventure now.

How do I make a tractor go between two truck stations?

Enjoying the game, but found it a tad tedious. But from reading here, that is probably because I am still in the early-game. Scaling up with my limited production seems daunting considering I still need to hand-craft a lot of stuff.

Automating coal changed everything for me. All of a sudden I was free to mess around, explore, and experiment with my factory.

I really want to buy the game but don't really want it on the epic store.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

RVWinkle posted:

We need to come up with a strategy to rush to tier 3 and coal automation. You can probably get away with just using the power generators in the hub and 3 factories. You need a ton of copper wire, iron plates, and iron rods. From there you just need to hand craft a bunch of screws, rotors, and reinforced plates.

Focus on automating Iron with 3 or more smelters, with one copper smelter. I wasn't running out of copper with one smelter, and creating copper wire manually was pretty fast.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I love factorio, I was playing it last night in fact. But satisfactory definitely scratches the other 3d planning itch.

They seem to be doing right by the game, and with 8 total tiers of technology I assume, although I may be wrong, that there will be more flexibility and complexity as you get to those higher tiers.

I have to say though. Planning out your belts and location of your machines really adds another dimension, literally, to the problem solving and organizational aspects of building a factory. I'm really excited for trains more than anything else at this point.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Speedball posted:

Yeah I don't think this game will *replace* Factorio but be a good companion to it. You can't do stuff like put two different items on one belt with inserters, but you can do stuff like stack conveyors five high on top of each other to create a thick vertical highway and mitigate horizontal clutter.

It scratches a different planning itch, and it does it well and in a pretty package.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I spent way too much time messing around with compact layouts but still don’t know the best one.

I’m currently using splitters in front of every input and mergers on every output and that seems to do a good job feeding everything.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Satisfactory is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnGd6nt4F4&t=3628s

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I didn't watch the whole thing but whoever it is says that biomass is tedious especially being "that far in the game" and I wonder how bad they are that they still haven't gotten coal if it's really been that long.

I dig giantbomb in general, but every video is them just being plain BAD at games. I don't get how the staff can do this poo poo full time and be so terrible at everything they play.

Vinny had coal. The best part is when they go to the coal, because of what happens to his truck. I had linked to that time in the video but I guess it didn't work?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
So do these tickets only apply to that particular save game, or do they carry over to a new start? Would be nice to know.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Game is good again. I got bored when coal was the highest tech. This new update is amazing fun though. I built a power plant over a small lake beside a cliff and have tons of power going to my base now. Working towards tier 5 and 6 by building production plants.

It would be nice if there was an option to go to a third person maybe isometric view when building so you could place some stuff a little better.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Wrr posted:

Items should fall off the end of conveyor belts so that I can simply dump waste products and depleted uranium off the edge of the world, into the abyss.

Can you dump that stuff into the ticket machine?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

nielsm posted:

Probably not. There's a bunch of items you can't send into it. Things I've tried that failed:
Portable Miners
Nobelisks
SAM ore

They just stop on the belt just before entering the crusher, blocking everything behind.

They need to let you know what it doesn't take.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
It's probably a good idea to have a separate steady power source for things like transportation.

I've done that with my base, at least to start, so I have water and fuel for my generators being powered and fed by a separate system. So any power spikes won't kill everything and I can get around to get things fixed and so on.

Just colour those power poles differently so you don't end up connecting the two systems.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Tenebrais posted:

I'm usually pretty on top of these things but it never occurred to me that buildings connected logistically don't have to be connected electrically. I could dedicate one coal plant to running the miners and pumps and the rest to actual base power...

On the other hand I'm not sure that redundancy is really necessary? Once the coal plant is set up, if it's disrupted, there's still coal on the belts and water in the pipes so once I've resolved whatever tripped the fuse it can go right back into operation. This isn't like Factorio where you need power to load the resources into the burners, at least as long as you have a water tank at the highest point of your pipe network.

It would depend on how large your buffer is. But it would also mean you never have to worry about it, and organizationally it is kind of nice.

Why not engineer the poo poo out of it? I mean that's what these sort of games are about.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Create a main bus and push your stuff through that way with a load balancer.

I'm in the process of doing that now as my piecemeal stuff isn't working out for the volume I want/need at the moment.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I found an alternate recipe using iron bars for screws rather than iron rods, and it has made some of my production lines so much simpler.

I need to go on a hunt to track down as many alternate recipes as possible.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

euphronius posted:

I would like signs which showed up on the map.

I want signs that I can put above my tubes telling me, or others, where they go.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

abraxas posted:

I haven't played this latest patch yet but I remember, after buying this game and playing it the last time, being extremely surprised and a bit annoyed with how slow automation felt, especially compared to just manually crafting the same stuff at your workbench. I guess I'm not playing the game right or I'm at least in the minority here because most of you guys seem to think the workbench should overheat/it shouldn't be as versatile/the player should have a cool down on crafting or whatever.

I don't quite understand that to be honest. I get that the "purpose" of the game is to build automation but instead of nerfing the work bench or introducing some random rear end penalties for it, how about bringing automation up to speed? Buffs are always better than Nerfs imho, in almost all cases. I used to play this game with an external tool that held my LMB down after I pressed CTRL-F and went to grab a coffee, because even tho it's infinitely more boring, it's also infinitely faster than having the same poo poo produced through my production line.

Take reinforced iron plates for example. I had ore collectors feed into refineries, which fed into two manufacturers that produced (back then) iron plates and screws that obviously fed into another thing that then produced the reinforced iron plates. By the time that production line produced 10 reinforced iron plates I had like 100 or something from just portable miner ore and producing all the individual parts at my workbench. It's like, wrong by a factor of 5 or 10 or something, even when everything is reasonably overclocked.

Supposedly the solution for you guys would be to just build more. Ten more of these construction chains and I'd be at about the same speed. But I guess for me, the goal is more in getting to the next tier and seeing what new cool poo poo I can build, and not necessarily to expand my whole factory by a factor of 10 just to exponentially having to increase its size again once the next tier with the next, more intricate recipes rolls around.

Either way, my point is I personally would rather have them speed up automation (not necessarily by the massive factors I mentioned earlier) rather than nerf the versatility and all the stuff you can do at your work bench :shrug:

I mean you speed up production through increasing the number of buildings and upgrading them.

This is also an exploration game, although under development so some content is still missing. Exploring for slugs and hard drives can be done if production cannot be upgraded and you are waiting for something to finish.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

That's kind of why I dropped off the game. In order to make progress, you have to build these giant parallelized factories, when I just want to make a small, streamlined factory. It seems like a game where you can do whatever you want, but you pretty much have to build exactly the way the devs want you to.

You can build a small factory with overclocking, but production limits do exist for each machine.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I reinstalled to check out experimental and the changes are pretty drat nice and pipes are fun to work with. The one thing that annoys me though is when they mix divisions of odd and even numbers for inputs/outputs. Oh this machine takes in 60 steel a minute and puts out 15 steel beams? Well now the recipe for encased steel beams is in multiples of twelve because gently caress you. And the units of production a minute sometimes don't hit exactly the number you need. They'll be like 0.10 over/under. So I have to figure out how many more machines I need to be able to get the most efficiency out of the recipe and how much I need to over/underclock something to get the outputs matching up with the inputs which they don't. Argh.

I think you can over or underclock using the power slugs and type in the exact number to get the ratios you want/need.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

kloa posted:

Powered floors would be excellent. Cleans up the rats nest of wires when you have 10 coming off a pole.

Or powered ceiling nodes, to match the wall nodes would be great. You could then string wires from above and make things a little cleaner.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Dirk the Average posted:

You don't need full automation; just a way for biomass/fuel to automatically route from a container to a burner. Letting players dump hours worth of power into a container and run off to go do something else would go a long way towards making the pre-coal game less agonizing.

I want a way to grow plants and trees and then auto harvest them for fuel.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Volmarias posted:

Can you specify power as backup only? I thought the game only ordered load as geo first, then everything else at once. Or do you have it in a switch?

Not yet as far as I know, but I am hoping that they add in some computational stuff to be able to do stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
They really need to fix the alignment when you add a splitter to a conveyor belt.

Right now it won't show the green alignment unless you do it with the ground, which makes it more complicated to built your production lines.

The same goes for the vertical conveyors and splitters.