Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Be careful with the palm planting technique, that can really hurt your hands! Nintendo got sued over this stuff, that's why Mario Party games don't have that kind of mechanic anymore.

Palm friction burns fuckin' suck, I can say that with confidence given I did exactly this to both my hands as a kid.

Of course, analog sticks these days have soft rubber coating and a surface that makes it really difficult to do that sort of thing to yourself. Everyone learned their lesson from the N64 controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the delay folks. I've had a spectacularly poo poo two weeks and it hasn't let up yet.

18: Doctor Kenshiro, Medicine Man/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: Nunchuck Master, Hangman's Skull Crusher!, Haystack Revenge
M1: Boogie Down/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 8, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oh Jagre. :allears:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Polsy link for M1 goes to the B4 video.

I'm not sure how to react to Kenshiro's new profession, besides "very positively".

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Felinoid posted:

Polsy link for M1 goes to the B4 video.

I'm not sure how to react to Kenshiro's new profession, besides "very positively".

It sure does. Fixed it.

I won't be showing off any more of the rhythm game, that's about it. I did get all the B/A rewards for the songs off-screen, at least one of which is an orb of some variety. But yeah, this was my first try on these since my first time playing through the game. Good job me.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I was sitting here thinking "WHAT is going on with the music" and then the game up and asks the same question

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
What the heck is this game? I feel like I should know but... [a blur of motion hits AN in several places and he shivers, then blinks] Ah yes, I remember now! Heh. Thanks for that, Dr. Kenshiro!

The rhythm minigame was fun, but a real challenge to keep up with. Glad they used stirring classical music, although I feel they missed opportunities not putting in the 1812 Overture or Beethoven's 5th. I'll probably feel that way about a lot of other pieces if I think of them. Thanks for showing it off, Scruffy.

Lore- We meet Lin in today's video. Also known as Rin in some translations, she is Kenshiro's other child sidekick (besides Bat) and the most prominent female character in the original Fist of the North Star series. We meet Lin in the first episode of the anime, first volume of the manga, where she serves Kenshiro and Bat bread & water while they are in jail. Bat tells Kenshiro that Lin saw her adopted family beaten to death right in front of her and thus does not speak due to emotional trauma. Kenshiro helps her by hitting a vital point with Hokuto Shinken, prompting her to speak again shortly thereafter. Lin then follows Kenshiro during his journey, bravely facing down many enemies. Her main weapons are never giving up hope and a determined stare- she doesn't use martial arts, being an adolescent girl and all. Kenshiro helps her out whenever she needs it and rescues her from bandits numerous times.

Lin enjoys a teasing relationship with Bat throughout the anime, and in the second season (late volumes of the manga), when they are teenagers, they are companions who lead a wasteland army together. They learn that Lin is the twin sister of the Celestial Empress, a prominent wasteland ruler whose chancellor and generals have imprisoned while they inflict brutal tyranny on her people. Kenshiro helps them handle this group of jerks. Lin's sister unfortunately doesn't get more development after that arc. Shortly after the sisters meet, Lin is kidnapped by the last general as he flees from their army. Kenshiro pursues and ends up rescuing Lin from a psychotic warlord of Spartan philosophy named Kaioh (more on him later). Bat follows Kenshiro to Kaioh's country and aids Kenshiro somewhat in his fight. In the manga's penultimate volumes (the anime didn't get this far before it was cancelled unfortunately), Lin and Bat are married. She also has a crush on Kenshiro, but this is never requited by him since Kenshiro only has love for one woman- Yuria, and he does not want to inflict his destiny to suffer sadness on Lin. There is a brief love triangle between teenage Lin, teenage Bat, and Kenshiro. Its resolution is convoluted and ultimately has Lin end up happily married to Bat while Kenshiro returns to wandering and brooding. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Destiny Talismans-
Lin- Equipping this talisman will bring Kenshiro back with low health should he fall in combat. The health it brings you back with increases as it goes up in level. I was glad to have this equipped a few times, particularly in one of the nastier gimmick Coliseum Tournaments and against strong foes. If you can stay alive through the Talisman's cooldown, Kenshiro may be effectively immortal with Lin's power backing him. :D

Bonus Lore- The nurse for the new minigame mentions Medicine City. This is a location Kenshiro visits in the original series. After the Apocalypse, medicine is a highly valued commodity. Various warlord armies hoard and trade in it, prominently at a place called Medicine City. When Rei suffers mortal wounds that are killing him slowly after fighting Raoh, Kenshiro and Mamiya journey there to obtain medicine which will ease his suffering. Rei refuses said medicine, naturally, even after his friends beat up a lot of bad people obtaining it. Oh well.

Hmm, terminal stupidity. An illness only the greatest medical practitoners like Kenshiro can effectively treat. Heh.

Additional Bonus Lore- One of the accessories Kenshiro obtained through the mingame in today's bonus video is the Colonel's Eyepatch. In game, equipping it makes low level enemies less likely to block your attacks. Handy.

The Colonel it refers to is the head of a group called the Godan Army, which Kenshiro battled in the second volume of the manga, first season of the anime. Before the apocalypse, the Godan were an elite Special Forces military group. Their political superiors were the ones who caused the nuclear war, although the exact reasons are not explored.

In the aftermath of the war, the Godan Army got the idea that they were chosen by fate to be the world's fittest survivors and started rounding up people from the wasteland and enforcing this extreme Darwinism. They were independent in the manga, and among Shin's minions in the anime. Women were brutally raped by them and men were forced into slave labor. Those of sufficient fitness were pushed into the Godan's training regimen and made to kill each other, then join the Godan, or die. Kenshiro learned of this and was of course motivated to put a stop to it. His ultimate opponent in beating down the Godan was their Colonel, an unnamed officer who was a boomerang throwing practitioner of Nanko Seiken and good enough that many thought he had psychic powers. He wore an eyepatch, naturally.

Kenshiro killed the Colonel by pressing a single pressure point on his forehead, which ruthlessly broke every bone in his body as his skeleton ripped out of his flesh, killing him. This is one of the more brutal deaths in the series. The Colonel's look may be recognizable if you have ever played a classic beat em up called Final Fight. Rolent, the fourth boss, looks very similar.

Other nifty accessories you can obtain from the rhythm minigame include the Meridian Diagram (increases Perfect Channeling success), Golden Dragon & Bazaar Belt (reduced prices at shops) Nunchaku (great bonus to attack power), and several car part designs. The Nunchaku are a nod to the many films where martial artist Bruce Lee equipped this item and went nuts on people. Lee was a big inspiration for Kenshiro.

See y'all next time.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I was able to just be smiling until the disco lights came on and I loving lost it.

Dr. Kenshiro is the best minigame.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The best part of Dr. Ken is that the music is Ode to Joy with extras.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Only thing I'm kinda disappointed about is that there's no 1812 Overture treatment.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That was even better than the hardened crime drama heroes of Yakuza suddenly breaking into music videos in their own mind for karaoke.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Doctor Kenshiro is here to enforce free medical beat downs for everyone and will give special treatment to any who appose his Hokuto no Pain for All Plan.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
You are already diagnosed.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You can mock it all you like, but this is putting Toki's Gentle Fist to actual use. He was always a healer first.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Bloodly posted:

You can mock it all you like, but this is putting Toki's Gentle Fist to actual use. He was always a healer first.

Fair, but I don't think Toki ever envisioned using it in sync with dance party music.

...Granted, I think he'd be equally as on board with the idea as Ken is, soooo...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bloodly posted:

Who's mocking it? Doctor Kenshiro the rhythm punch-healer is amazing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You are already diagnosed cured.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Additional Bonus Lore- One of the accessories Kenshiro obtained through the mingame in today's bonus video is the Colonel's Eyepatch. In game, equipping it makes low level enemies less likely to block your attacks. Handy.

The Colonel it refers to is the head of a group called the Godan Army, which Kenshiro battled in the second volume of the manga, first season of the anime. Before the apocalypse, the Godan were an elite Special Forces military group. Their political superiors were the ones who caused the nuclear war, although the exact reasons are not explored.

The whole Godon army arc always felt so weird in the manga. You'd think the people responsible for the manga's setting being what it is would play a larger role, but instead they're introduced like any other gang killing innocent townsfolk, then Kenshiro immediately kills them all and that's that, curtains closed let's never talk of them ever again. Even the following arc about the leader of a random unremarkable gang harassing a badass old lady felt more significant and impactful than the army that nuked the world.

I never watched the anime, but making them Shin's minions at least gives them some sort of context of just being introduced and tossed aside in the blink of an eye, I suppose.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I got the idea that their country was as hurt by the war as anyone else’s- nuclear war really had no winners. They didn’t start the war, their political superiors did, and now they were trying to live through the aftermath like anyone else. They only joined with Shin out of convenience and when they got strong enough they would break off from him and rule an independent country. If Kenshiro hadn’t stepped in, that is. Does it make for a weird story? Somewhat. But ultimately Fist of the North Star wasn’t about the war or settling what caused it. Instead it was about the survivors. A lot of post-apocalypse stories are like that. Do we ever learn what brought about the world of Mad Max or the Walking Dead? And would it change much for the survivors if we did?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hokuto no Ken is different because the answer to nuclear apocalypse is several thousand year old martial arts making everything right. Hell, I'm sure they could chi up some of the earth to become fertile again. He can punch away maladies, enforce the law, he can do anything with those magical fists of his.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crabtree posted:

Hokuto no Ken is different because the answer to nuclear apocalypse is several thousand year old martial arts making everything right. Hell, I'm sure they could chi up some of the earth to become fertile again. He can punch away maladies, enforce the law, he can do anything with those magical fists of his.

Hokuto No Ken has a history of 2000 years!
Do you think a simple apocalypse can stand in its path?

glocknar
May 17, 2017
I'm kinda surprised no one has really brought this up, but Toki not being killed because he is only using Hokuto Shinken to heal is actually technically inaccurate. He's not being killed because he's so good at Hokuto Shinken, the settings #1 bullshit assasination style, he's gone full circle and is using the healing art Hokuto Ujou Ken, translated as Hokuto Healing Fist. Yes, it's litteraly just Hokuto Shinken being used to play doctor, but also equally yes is that he would have gotten away with it even if he hadn't been named the succesor and the apocolypse hadnt happened because he's the kind of genius that only comes around once every thousand years or so. That, and I get the feeling that historically speaking the masters of Hokuto Shinken would have loving loved that kind of smarmy, exact words rules lawyering.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Wow, I'm having a hard time deciding which minigame is the most amusing to watch and failing at this point. Dare I ask if there are even MORE coming? Definitely love how utterly non-seriously the game takes itself, makes it a lot more fun than the "invincible punch guy exploding infinite numbers of bastards" premise would normally.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

glocknar posted:

the healing art Hokuto Ujou Ken, translated as Hokuto Healing Fist
Well... Ujou Ken (Humane Fist) is one of the techniques Toki uses, his style is Juu no Ken (Gentle Fist). Ujou Ken is that one (well, one of them) where the victim feels pleasure before dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glocknar
May 17, 2017

KennyMan666 posted:

Well... Ujou Ken (Humane Fist) is one of the techniques Toki uses, his style is Juu no Ken (Gentle Fist). Ujou Ken is that one (well, one of them) where the victim feels pleasure before dying.

My mistake. Guess thats what I get for relying on my shody memory. I could have sworn it was the other way around.