Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CommissarMega posted:

It's Fist of the North Star, how could it NOT be dope? :colbert:

Counterpoint the live action 90s movie.

**fake edit** Well that's one helluva snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am very disappointed in the number of head explosions in this episode and hope they will increase.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I actually did miss some of these trades my first time through this game. I inadvertently gave the Money to the Soap trader, so I missed out on using it to help the freezing woman (you can only get it from that one guy). Didn't trade with the original merchant for anything but the Dog Food (nice Mad Max reference) either, so I didn't get the Crayons or Cigarettes. Glad to know they are not useful for anything after this section. The trades to get these items never come up again.

The bartering system is a pain, but it will save you worse pain later in the game. You can either grind through several hundred races to get the twenty ingots of Refined Metal you need to upgrade your Buggy’s engine, search the wasteland for it, or visit the right barter guy and trade him some Whiskey. It’s impossible to pass several game substories without the right upgrades and bartering is the best way to get them. The real pain is you need a game guide to find a lot of the best deals. :( Some of them are also story locked.

Lore- The City of Miracles in this game is an original non canon story, but the original Fist of the North Star did have a Village of Miracles in the second major arc of the first series. Kenshiro hears there’s a martial artist curing people’s ailments there- much the same techniques he uses in the video. When he arrives at the village that person has moved on. What he finds there instead... well, I originally had a bit about it in this post, but I decided to wait until later to post it when a more appropriate moment comes up. We still have a lot of game to get through, and there will be plenty of opportunities.

Bartering is a staple of the wasteland genre, but surprisingly it doesn't figure much in Fist of the North Star video games before this one. Kenshiro's problems are usually limited to number of bad guys to defeat and how tough they are. In the original manga & anime, there were a number of episodes where he needed water or gas, this led to conflict obviously. They also mention the "money is not even good as toilet paper anymore" meme in the series intro story- again, a good reference.

That guy who conned us mentioned the Ken-Oh Army, another major antagonist of the original series. I'll say more about them in a later post too.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 12, 2019

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Man you were right, that trading quest chain was dull as crap. I could get like 2 or 3 to show how much of a good dude Kenshiro is supposed to be but that was too many.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Episode 3 is still setting up our story, but then episode 4 is mostly about kicking people in the face.

3: Breaking In and Out of Eden/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: Kenshiro is a master of stealth, Nobody saw that coming

4: Kenshiro the Gladiator/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: How have I not linked the theme song?, Nanato Bakusatsu Ken!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, now we’re talking. That was fun action! Can’t believe there weren’t many instances of gladiator bouts in the original manga or anime. Scruffy mentions Kenshiro’s three brothers in the videos, we also see Bat & Lin, the two children with whom he often travels the wastes. I’ll talk about all of them in due time. Today’s Lore concerns-

Devil Rebirth! The big guy Kenshiro fought at the end of the gladiator games is another famous foe of his from the third volume of the manga and first season of the anime series. In this story Kenshiro comes into conflict with a gang leader known as Jackal. He likes to throw dynamite around, menace orphans, and kill nice old ladies. Kenshiro takes offense to these odious habits and takes out Jackal’s entire gang. He then chases Jackal into a prison where a very unique captive is kept on the deepest level. That’s Devil Rebirth. It’s not really explained where DR came from or why he’s so large. One can assume they built the prison around him to contain him, no other explanation how they got him in there. Jackal convinces the mentally challenged giant to attack Kenshiro, who puts both Devil Rebirth & Jackal down after an extended fight. DR’s size is only a brief problem for our hero. No matter how big you are, Hokuto Shinken can bring you down!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Like while I can understand a lot of people being annoyed by Jagre, try to understand it from his point of view, basically a weapon of mass destruction just got allowed into the city he's supposed to protect :v:

Did kenshiro ever deal with guns in the manga? I feel like Jagres poor handshotgun wouldn't do much against someone that can stop weapon attacks by just gripping them.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 13, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I actually can't recall if guns ever showed up in the manga, but I don't think they'd pose that much of a threat to Kenshiro.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A tank is a big gun on treads.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I have to say, I like Jagre despite what little we've seen of him so far: he knows what people like Kenshiro can do and really doesn't want someone like him inevitably screwing things up for everyone. And while he does threaten to just off Ken to be sure, all it takes is his underlings pointing out that they do have laws and due process and he backs down.
Unfortunately for him, Ken is the hero of the story. :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
In the first arc of the anime, Kenshiro had an encounter with the King Army artillery captain who shot him with a giant gun that if I recall correctly was mounted on a train. It put Kenshiro out of commission for most of two episodes, then he came back fine. There was also the aforementioned tank encounter, some human cannonballs, and a beached battleship in that arc. The second arc includes a famous Fist of the North Star villain who is known for using a shotgun among other dirty tricks. More on him when the appropriate Lore entry gets posted. But yeah, guns aren't around much in the original material. There's no Bullet Farm in this part of the wasteland to keep them supplied. Arrows, knives, and spears are a lot more common.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Honestly as someone who has only known of fist of the northstar through osmosis such as the infamous haystack scene in the anime, I'm surprised how mad maxy this is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

In a way I'm disappointed no one has linked this one yet because its a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLadZotBuE

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do Bat and Lin shown up as non-flashbacks?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Nalesh posted:

Honestly as someone who has only known of fist of the northstar through osmosis such as the infamous haystack scene in the anime, I'm surprised how mad maxy this is.

It's understandable, Fist of the North Star came out maybe a year or two after the Road Warrior. The influence is undeniable! Honestly, the urge I got more than anything was to replay God Hand.

Cooked Auto posted:

In a way I'm disappointed no one has linked this one yet because its a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLadZotBuE

I almost forgot about this. It was the only way I was willing to play Dead Island, and even then it got old fast.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do Bat and Lin shown up as non-flashbacks?

They do! Just not for a while yet!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I remember really digging FotNS when i was first exposed to it in middle school (i'm old enough to remember the part of the 90s when it first started going mainstream) but man does it give Golgo 13 a run for its money with regards to an invincible protagonist now that i look back at it.

And i want to say that there was a whole bunch of "welcome to the wasteland, watch the protagonist wander through it" anime series/movies that came out at around the same time as this? But this series always wore its inspiration on its sleeve.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 14, 2019

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

For one of the main "antagonists" so far Jagre rules.

Bat's hair is... well it's a mess in the anime, but now he looks like a hedgehog :stare:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIFsBaJbdYs

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Like while I can understand a lot of people being annoyed by Jagre, try to understand it from his point of view, basically a weapon of mass destruction just got allowed into the city he's supposed to protect :v:

Did kenshiro ever deal with guns in the manga? I feel like Jagres poor handshotgun wouldn't do much against someone that can stop weapon attacks by just gripping them.

radintorov posted:

I have to say, I like Jagre despite what little we've seen of him so far: he knows what people like Kenshiro can do and really doesn't want someone like him inevitably screwing things up for everyone. And while he does threaten to just off Ken to be sure, all it takes is his underlings pointing out that they do have laws and due process and he backs down.
Unfortunately for him, Ken is the hero of the story. :v:

Counterpoint: This is still a Yakuza-like so the city's for sure going to be infested with punks preying on the weak and innocent (for those sweet random battle encounters) so Jagre's gonna just loop back around to being an rear end in a top hat not wanting to upset a bullshit status quo instead of some noble guy :v:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

ishikabibble posted:

Counterpoint: This is still a Yakuza-like so the city's for sure going to be infested with punks preying on the weak and innocent (for those sweet random battle encounters) so Jagre's gonna just loop back around to being an rear end in a top hat not wanting to upset a bullshit status quo instead of some noble guy :v:

This is also Fist of the North Star. Kenshiro stumbling across ridiculously evil punks with mohawks is practically a law of physics in that universe.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nalesh posted:

It is. The way I like to describe the series is to imagine that you have Mad Max 2 but instead of Mel Gibson it's starring Bruce Lee, except he's like three times bigger and can punch people so hard they explode from the inside.

citybeatnik posted:

I remember really digging FotNS when i was first exposed to it in middle school (i'm old enough to remember the part of the 90s when it first started going mainstream) but man does it give Golgo 13 a run for its money with regards to an invincible protagonist now that i look back at it.

Yeah, much like Golgo the interesting part of the series isn't so much about whether Ken wins the fight or not, but rather about how it goes down. Though in exchange it does make for some sky-high dramatic tension whenever Ken does go up against somebody who's an actual challenge.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

citybeatnik posted:

And i want to say that there was a whole bunch of "welcome to the wasteland, watch the protagonist wander through it" anime series/movies that came out at around the same time as this?
M.D. Geist

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nalesh posted:

How could anyone be annoyed by Jagre? His "goddamn martial artist" line is simply perfect and fully justified, what with the like 5 or 6 martial artists that are busy playing warlord and oppressing the populace. Assuming manga plot then Ken-oh, that Nanto rear end in a top hat, that other Nanto rear end in a top hat and the recently deceased Shin have to be widely infamous by now, and I'm probably forgetting a couple more assholes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Omobono posted:

How could anyone be annoyed by Jagre? His "goddamn martial artist" line is simply perfect and fully justified, what with the like 5 or 6 martial artists that are busy playing warlord and oppressing the populace. Assuming manga plot then Ken-oh, that Nanto rear end in a top hat, that other Nanto rear end in a top hat and the recently deceased Shin have to be widely infamous by now, and I'm probably forgetting a couple more assholes.

Also he did just see Kenshiro effortlessly explode a bunch of people.

Would you trust a man who can casually explode men when you did not know him?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

Also he did just see Kenshiro effortlessly explode a bunch of people.

Would you trust a man who can casually explode men when you did not know him?

He actually said as much to his underling: roughly, what kind of insane man learns a martial art that makes people('s heads) explode?
I'm just surprised there's people that don't immediately fall in love with Jagre and his mohawked awesomeness. His reaction is downright sane.

This game absolutely gets Fist of the North Star. A lot of the sub-stories are a wonderful mixture of Kamurocho insanity and FotNS, staying true to both.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

How the gently caress do you even learn a martial art that makes people explode, sounds a bit hard to practice :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nalesh posted:

How the gently caress do you even learn a martial art that makes people explode, sounds a bit hard to practice :v:

There is a reason there can only be one true successor to Hokotu Shinken, I suppose.

The others are exploded. Or evil. Or Toki.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Kenshiro wasn't up to 'exploding people' level before Shin beat him up and left him to fight legions of bandits in the wastelands.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe Kenshiro wasn't up to 'exploding people' level before Shin beat him up and left him to fight legions of bandits in the wastelands.

Sadly this pressure point bullshit is locked behind like 30 SP of other skills, but fortunately bandits are great for grinding.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nalesh posted:

Learn all the pressure points by healing the innocent and weak, explode villains by punching those pressure points really loving hard.

Fish Noise posted:

M.D. Geist

Oh man there's something I'm surprised didn't reappear during the edge-wave of the 00's.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Omobono posted:

Those are just "the most lethal" of the Nanto styles. There's like apparently somewhere around 100 or so Nanto Styles out there. And that's just the typical Ansatsuken which also included I think the Not-appearing-in-this-game styles of Gento Kōken and the yet another branch of the Dipper Fists, the super evil Hokuto Ryūken. (God do we even want to go into side material still being made as far as 2017 with poo poo like Tento Seiin Ken?) And in between this several thousand year old wushu bullshit there is also likely dumbasses that think they're hot poo poo with their unearthed pre-war black belt that go out, try to do some kata in front of a raider band and get themselves shot in the head.

In a world where you are likely to get murdered in your sleep even in a "safe" city like eden, you think Jagre has the time or patience to find out if the next giant wall of muscles, tiny asses and like loving 7-10 feet legenth is nice about the fact that their hands can make people explode, let alone is even the truth?

Fish Noise posted:

M.D. Geist

Or Violence Jack Fist of the North Star was HUGE back in the day, to the point where even then up in coming artists like Hirohiko Araki imitated Tetsuo Hara, the artist of Hokuto no Ken, style almost down to the same exaggerated musculature and shading in his first 2-3 JoJo arcs. I don't even know how many imitators there were that weren't based in exact post apocalypses, but Kenshiro was the loving blue print for mid 80s-90s series.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 14, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nalesh posted:

Very carefully.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I will try to avoid game spoilers in this post, talking only the original manga here.

How do you learn Hokuto Shinken?

In the manga, Kenshiro's master was a guy named Ryuken. He adopted four boys (Raoh, Toki, Jagi, and Kenshiro) some years before the nuclear war and taught them all the art. While doing so, he frequently said you needed to be really strong and have a certain natural ability to master Hokuto Shinken. He also tells the boys frequently that there can only be one successor to Hokuto Shinken and only one of them can master the style's ultimate moves. Over time, it turns out you also need a certain emotional temperament to make certain moves work right. You have to be absolutely ruthless to turn your fists to iron, for example. A truly powerful technique called Muso Tensei requires becoming consumed with sorrow to the point where you achieve communion with the deathless absolute emptiness or void spoken of in Buddhism. Kenshiro is the first to master this technique in 1800 years- it basically makes him invincible in the series climax.

Hokuto Shinken involves years of training and prodigious mental abilities too. There are 708 pressure points to learn and strike, so not everybody can get all parts of it right. Heck, I sometimes have trouble remembering the four points of Solar plexus, Instep, Nose, Groin. Kenshiro knows a lot more pressure points than that. And he can hit them a lot harder than me.

Of the four boys, all learn Hokuto Shinken, but only three really master it, and only one of them (Kenshiro) is chosen as successor because he has the right ability and temperament. Kenshiro shows off all this from a young age- he is basically able to defeat nine Nanto Masters in a death tournament in his adolescence. Once he is chosen as successor, because the Hokuto Shinken art is so deadly, only Kenshiro is supposed to continue practicing it. All other students must voluntarily renounce it or risk being killed, having their fists crushed, or having their memories erased (certain pressure points can do that, as we saw in the third video). Of course, this is more law of the school of Hokuto Shinken than it is law of nature- it doesn't always happen. Case in point- the second oldest of Kenshiro's brothers, Toki, has the best ability and temperament of the four, barring Kenshiro himself. But he gets radiation sickness shortly after the war, so obviously he can't be the successor. He's going to get weaker over time, his abilities will worsen too. However, neither Kenshiro nor Ryuken has the heart to kill a man in his condition. So he gets to live and never mind the skills he retains.

Another case in point- Kenshiro's oldest brother Raoh, who becomes incredibly powerful with his martial arts knowledge and declares that he will use it to take over the world and challenge all who oppose him. Ryuken- "The gods will never allow you to accomplish that!" Raoh- "Then I will challenge the gods as well!" Obviously not the right emotions to carry on Hokuto Shinken, right? Raoh doesn't care when Kenshiro gets chosen as successor, the title is worthless to him. And when Ryuken tries to 'seal his fists', he is killed by his own now-evil student. Raoh gets even worse after the war hits (the cause of the apocalypse is never shown in the series, but we can assume it has nothing to do with Hokuto Shinken), though I will not go into that here as it's unnecessary.

The third brother, Jagi, tries to kill Kenshiro, but is spared because Kenshiro can't kill his brother. He has the same problem with Shin in the fight that leaves him with the seven scars, he can't kill his former friend just like that. Like Shin said, Kenshiro has skill, but he lacks ambition. Kenshiro finds he needs rage instead- this enables him to defeat Shin in their second duel. Later it enables him to beat Jagi too (by the way, Jagi also convinced Shin to turn evil, as Kenshiro later learns). Rage plus sorrow and determination is eventually enough for him to also take down Raoh at the end of the anime's first season and fourth major arc (volume 6 of the manga). There are of course several other martial arts masters standing between them and a whole slew afterwards. It's too much story to summarize here- go read or watch it if you can. The story is awesome, highly recommended.

All this plays out in the original series as backstory and main story. Lost Paradise has an original non-canon take on it. I will not spoil that. But I get Jagre's attitude totally. I'd probably be like him somewhat if I lived through the apocalypse. Remember that jerk martial artist in the gladiator games we fought right before Devil Rebirth? If all the martial artists Jagre's met before Kenshiro are like that, no wonder he doesn't like them much! He's also obviously never studied the skills himself- whether from lack of ability or opportunity is unknown. He has a shotgun as an equalizer, not that it always works. He'll get more character development as the game continues, I'm sure.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm not sure why Jagre is giving Ken so much beef for his superhuman martial arts feats after he introduced himself by leaping like fifty feet down from the wall of Eden. The man's at least a little bit superhuman himself

https://i.imgur.com/1LWQDLB.mp4

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'd be disappointed if someone with as much as presence as Jagre didn't get more character development. These kinds of games are known for their giant cast anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know what it is about 1980s post apocalypses, but there are a lot of really beefy dudes in Fist of the North star. Where do they find enough protien to even maintain that mass?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crabtree posted:

I don't know what it is about 1980s post apocalypses, but there are a lot of really beefy dudes in Fist of the North star. Where do they find enough protien to even maintain that mass?

They get it from people.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Possibly steroids have something to do with it? Nah, I don’t know. The series never explains. There is one episode in the fourth major arc where a guy is able to gather a truck full of chickens. The gang that kills him is excited about it. That is, until Kenshiro shows up, having met the guy earlier in the episode and learned he was gathering the chickens to feed his sick daughter. One of Kenshiro’s companions at the time helped catch a runaway bird so the guy gave them some eggs. Kenshiro is now highly motivated to avenge his death...

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm not sure why Jagre is giving Ken so much beef for his superhuman martial arts feats after he introduced himself by leaping like fifty feet down from the wall of Eden. The man's at least a little bit superhuman himself

https://i.imgur.com/1LWQDLB.mp4

That's just how the Wasteland is. You're either superhuman, a thug with a mohawk, a random civvie, or (already) dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They get it from people.

I don't even think normal people could feed someone Kenshiro's size, let alone Devil Reborn. Like there's gotta be some weird mutation where people just get and maintain muscle mass beyond our wildest dreams that also just makes them violent and crazy. Even the fat people are muscular and its even weirder to be fat in a loving sea of sand!